• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer work per hour.........

Mike Mc

Occupation
Oilfields
Fortunately I got all my oilfield equipment paid off in the boom but now I'm working cheap to keep my employees around. With my specialized gravel packing and casing tong service it's tough to find a reliable hard working hands. So working cheap keeps them on the pay roll so when it picks up I can handle the work load.

I tell them as long as your not tearing up the equipment I can survive working cheap. But throw in a few big careless repair bills and something will have to give. So far no big repair bills.

thebaz

I think that working cheap to keep enough cash flow to maintain your good work staff during tough times is understandable, and as a owner operator fortunately it is something that I haven't had to consider.
The unfortunate thing about competition is that it is not always healthy and sometimes competitive businesses who don't really know their bottom line, ruin it for everyone else. The customer doesn't care that the company with all the shiny new equipment will be broke after they finish his job, he just wants the lowest price. In contracting where you price to get a job done, and there are many ways of doing that job, sometimes the guy that has the cheapest price may still be able to make a huge profit by doing the job in a more efficient way than his competitors. That is smart business. The business that decides to hire their gear at a cheaper hourly rate than his colleagues, is generally losing money, while at the same time making it hard for others in the industry to maintain a reasonable profit margin.
My brother worked for a company that had a niche market and was a very good business. A new company started up in the same field who were prepared to run at a loss for ten years to wipe out the company my brother worked for. You can't compete with that on price without going broke in the process.
I would rather go broke through lack of work, than lack of profit.
Baz

cat980

COPPA
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
i charge 150 an hour for a d4c and 100 for my case 580e backhoe and when i have to move my equipment i charge 50 and hour to move it but will cut them a break if its close to my yard and if they dont like my prices to bad my equipment is paid off for so if it sits it doesnt matter they dont owe me anything

ontrac

I know times are tuff and more so for some that are not good at controlling costs to maximize profits but there is a guy advertizing dozer work with a D6 for $40. per hour. I know he is either and idiot or running on credit and fixin to flush it when it catchs up with him. I do not know what kind of fuel burn a D6 has but some indications are alot more than my dozers. There is no way he is working at even cost. I just let these guys burn on out, I am here for the long haul and my costs are fixed at my best price. I was able to pay for my equipment so the banks not on my heels looking for a payment. I know one that he is in so deep the bank does not want to come get his so he is just getting deeper while they "work with him". He is just running it out with no repairs. Now the dozer is used up and unable to fetch anything close to current market value. Also guys tend to overcharge when in need.

thebaz

These guys who drop their hourly rate to the ridiculous not only hurt themselves but give the clients an unrealistic expectation of what you can run a machine for. If the going rate for a machine is say $120 and someone is operating for $40, the buying public just figure you are getting a bonus $80 in your pocket for nothing if you are charging the correct rate. I also hate it when people contact you and only want to know your hourly rate as they usually compare apples to bananas.
Baz

cummins05

Right now im in the process of buying some more equipment and going to work.

I guess we are lucky that the clients that have contacted me about work are willing to pay the rates that I asked for witch are fair but they did say that on the grader they could have a guy with a bigger one then im buying come in for 38 an hour cheaper

So rate cutting is happening up here too the only thing that swayed them my way is that his is a G model and mine is going to be a brand new GP

DanRooks

Occupation
Working with Machine owners and Managers in 85+ co
Let me say this as nice as I can. The price someone else charges does not matter! What matters is knowing for sure, what that machine costs you to own and operate! Only then can you set a fair price for your machine. If someone thinks that your price should be below your cost....maybe he should get his Dozer service somewhere else.

You do not want to pay a client for the fun of working on his land or project!

(The following is similar to a post I made on another thread:)
If You Can Not Cost Your Machines, Then You Can Not Correctly Price your Machines.
or
The History of Dynamic (changing) Life Cycle Heavy Equipment Costing

Ten years ago in 2000, we began a study of how contractors were costing the Owning and Operating Cost of their heavy equipment. We evaluated many costing systems, some were home brew others were developed by others. When someone develops a system, it is often for their purposes, this means that it may not necessarily be for your purposes.

We looked at a wide variety of costing systems. A few of these were:

* The Caterpillar Method (over approx. 40 years)
* Many other manufacturers' systems
* Federal Agencies like The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
* State Agencies Like California DOT
* Published Costing Books
* Internet based costing Services
* Agricultural Machine costing programs
* Printed books back to the 1930's
* Aircraft costing studies

Without a doubt CAT had the best system. In fact they pioneered heavy equipment costing back in the early 1970's. Never-the-less, our study identified 35+ short comings in the CAT system. Considering the age of their system and the fact it was designed for an owner with a pencil, paper and a calculator, it was quite good in comparison.

The CAT engineers that designed the system did not have a powerful computer sitting on their desktop like you do today. (VisiCalc, the first computer spreadsheet program was released in 1979) The CAT O & O (Owning and Operating) Heavy Equipment Costing System has remained basically unchanged except of some minor cost updates though 2001. Much of what made the CAT system good was mysteriously deleted in 2001. The user was instructed to talk to their dealer about repair cost.

This in itself, is a great idea since they will supply you the parts and components. However, not all dealers have the info you need. I remember speaking one equipment dealer who could not even get fuel consumption data from the Original Equipment Manufacturer. If you have a mixed fleet, good luck. If you want to do your own repair and maintenance, good luck, as maintenance contracts can be purchased for low hours and low age machines (Although some dealers will take your fleet as is.)

I do not want you to think that CAT was entirely self-serving by the deletion of this repair cost data. In my opinion, this change had a lot to do with the fact that old system was a manual system and this made the repair cost data, very difficult to prove. In one market, repair costs were too high and in another too low. Dealers complained. To make matters worse, competitors would use these numbers against CAT! If I faced this same situation, I might have made the same decision that CAT did.

As you try to get machine costing data, you may have difficulty due to a manufacturer's secrecy. Keep in mind that some manufacturers may believe that it is not in their best interest spend the time and money to collect costing data you need. Some manufacturers and dealers may believe that if they told you the real cost of machinery of owning heavy equipment, may cost them sales and scare off potential customers. Some are fearful that it may expose them to competitors who do not calculate the same way they count. Fear is a great motivator.

Probably, the number one reason for the lack of costing data is the fact that very few machine owners demand it before purchasing.

Back to some history. We began to develop a heavy equipment costing system. Initially, we tried working with spreadsheets but quickly found that they would not do what was necessary. Yes, spreadsheets could cost part of a machine's cost but they just will not provide the whole picture. They just are not suited for the job.

Why do think people buy millions of Accounting software packages form QuickBooks etc.? If spreadsheets are not suited for good accounting, why would you think they are good for machine costing? We found out that spreadsheets just will not provide the needed power, speed, flexibility, variability, reporting and error elimination. Accurate Heavy Equipment Costing takes a sophisticated database with a simple to use, custom interface. This what we use in DecisiveCost.

I know a lot of people use spreadsheets. I do not criticize anyone for trying to cost with a spreadsheet. This is where companies often start but also quickly learn the weaknesses of spreadsheets. They are certainly better then pricing your equipment by matching a local rental house. (Your cost is your cost, a rental house may price based on their cost. Their cost has nothing to do with you.)

If I could categorize what made the original CAT system great, was the focus on what today we call Dynamic (changing) Life Cycle Owing and Operating Cost. Today almost every manufacture supports the concept that your heavy equipment cost changes as the type of work and conditions change. I don't want to focus too much on spreadsheets but as soon as you use one for costing, you loose the "Dynamic" part of costing. Costing one machine, for one work type and geology or strata is one thing. Costing a mixed group of machines, were work and geology changes....is entirely different thing.

We have a free basic costing system at www,DecisiveCost.com

JDR62

Last year I bought a D5H LGP for 34,000$ cash, Between 3 different contractors I was able to put 960 hrs. on it . The only overhead i have is a 4x4 pickup /w for fueling and to get to and from the job site, (which i already owned).

72,000 gross profit
11,448 fuel
2,250 ins.
2,650 parts

55,652 net

I only made $75.00 per hr. which included the contractor hauls the cat to their job site, Did i just get lucky that i had only minor break downs and could repair them myself
or did i miss something.

ontrac

960 Hrs I would have changed the oil every 100 hrs, The undercarraige wore down so factor in a variable of maybe 50 percent and if you do it yourself with no pay that would be around 4500. Your truck and the 34000 investment should pay a return and wear and tear. Tires tags ect. Pay uncle Obama 26% so he can give it to someone that will not work, Cell phone costs, advertisment? Did you bill every hour on it? How much time in travel, job oversite ect. You did good with that many hours for my area for what you are operating. Did you depreciate your equipment? At 1000 hrs a year you might be interested in another one in five years.

FurakawaMatt

Sounds like you are doing good. With no cost for transporting the dozer you can charge less than someone maintaining the truck/trailer would.

DanRooks

Occupation
JDR62 I hate to break the bad news to you but what your accounting records tell you is insufficient and in many ways wrong.

You and the previous owners have consumed a portion of every thing that makes up a ($150,000.00?) new machine. Some things are consumed faster than other things. Much of the cost is incurred gradually over every hour it runs Think about the undercarriage for just one example. Is the undercarriage cost incurred with every hour or when it needs to be replaced? Your accountant may say: "When it happens." I say it is a job cost that needs to be charged to the job through your hourly machine cost. None of this is recorded in many accounting systems because it has not happened yet.

Some time ago I wrote a blog article titled Why Your Accountant May Be Putting You Out of Business (and Not Even Know it!

I hope it is ok to put this link here as I do not want my personal blog to be confused with advertising. See http://decisivecost.blogspot.com/2008/01/why-your-accountant-may-be-putting-you.html

All your accounting system revels is what you spent last year. Unfortunately, many costs are coming down the road. I know that it can be a little confusing but take a look at my link in a previous post, in this thread. It will help you. It is for a completely free and not some kind of trial, costing method. It will get you started in costing. (Please make sure you understand what this costing tool will do and not do. If you have any questions, Contact me by private message here at HEF.

Best wishes,
Dan

ontrac

Dan, I am glad to see someone else understands that my costs are just that, my costs. I operate my equipment in a manner that I maximize my life limited parts. This is also why some charge different rates for clearing timber or working in adverse soils. They understand that wear and tear increase under these conditions and costs increase. Thanks for the link it is very good advise to all.

thebaz

Last year I bought a D5H LGP for 34,000$ cash, Between 3 different contractors I was able to put 960 hrs. on it . The only overhead i have is a 4x4 pickup /w for fueling and to get to and from the job site, (which i already owned).

72,000 gross profit
11,448 fuel
2,250 ins.
2,650 parts

55,652 net

I only made $75.00 per hr. which included the contractor hauls the cat to their job site, Did i just get lucky that i had only minor break downs and could repair them myself
or did i miss something.

Yeah, about $34,000 for a start.
If you are talking about net profit then you have to factor all your costs involved with making your gross. That would drop your profit down to $21,652. Due to the nature of the earth moving business you have maintenance involving consumables, (undercarriage, GET, services, etc), that can be factored as an hourly cost as well as unexpected breakdowns and accidents that you also have to allow for. You could only claim a net profit of $52,652 if you didn't spend any other money than you have listed here, you put no wear and tear on your own vehicle, (unlikely), and you sold the dozer for $34,000 and called it quits.
Baz

DanRooks

Occupation
Cost of Heavy Equipment per Hour

TheBaz brings up an interesting point. Accounting is sorta like a broken clock which is absolutely correct 2 x in a day! Only after the sale of a machine can you take the total amount paid out over a machine's ownership life and compute what that particular machine really cost you per hour.

Even then you might not want to use that number to base your price per hour on due to the fact that:
  1. The cost for diesel fuel, service, parts, operator is very likely different now, than in the previous 5 (or whatever) years
  2. Type of work application may be different (see CAT Performance Handbook)
  3. Geology of work may be different (sand vs, clayey soils job)
  4. You use the machine more or less annual hours than the machine you sold
  5. The new machine is more or less dependable than the old machine
  6. You might have sold the machine right before a major repair
  7. The market value for used machines has changed
  8. Your accounting system did not compute the "Cost of Money into your costs unless you financed 100%.

Nobody said this business was going to be easy. It just looks easy. If you send me a private message with your mail and e-mail information, I will send you a free copy of the CAT Performance Handbook costing section and some information on how to make all of this easier. No charge or obligation.
Dan

Last edited:

DanRooks

Occupation
Cost of a D8R

How much $/hr for a D8R or simalar in australia Wet rate,Leroy

Leroy, are you asking for the COST per hour of this machine or what guys are charging as a PRICE? Suppose you get several PRICES from people who:
  • Do not know their true cost per hour
  • Operate their machine in different Geological conditions
  • Who use their machine in a different Work application (See Here)
  • Have Repair labor rates different than your cost
  • Have not adjusted for Cost of fuel changes for three years
  • Bought their machine new and it has less than 5,000 hours on it
  • Bought their machine at auction and it has 15,000 hours on it

Are you getting the idea that you need to know YOUR cost and that your cost may be as much as 200% different than another person's cost?

To start you on the costing journey there is a FREE costing tool on this web site. (Click Here)

Last edited:

MattR

This has been a good one.

I am with all of the fellows that are sick of people working for free. Most of the time they don't know yet what the true costs are. We have all taken a calculator all around the house, even to the john, doing "The Math" on how much one can make. It takes years to put all factors into the equasion. The hidden costs that WILL get you eventually. Trannys, finals, undercarrige, snapped booms, holes in blocks and on and on. After dealing with all of the factors for years, one finally realizes THESE MACHINES NEED TO MAKE MONEY. Not using just "Break Even" figures.

I liked the post " I can stay home and be hungry, instead of tired and hungry". All the cheapy undercutters out there have taken the fun and company survival out of it.

There are people here that will haul quad loads cheaper than we will hit the key, not because we are trying to retire from one load, IT JUST CAN'T BE DONE.

We all get sick of things sometimes, but never before have I thought of selling things and getting a job and leaving all the CHEAPYS to fight like 2 scorpions in a snuff can. Because of them.

Not trying to be rude to anybody, just telling the truth.

Finally to answer the man's original question, yes you should get a min of $75 for that size unit. More if conditions are extra crummy.

Thanks

I