• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer engine break in

terex herder

A friend has his 850C Deere (8.1L) in my shop for an overhaul. The blade is off. I have an area where he can use the ripper, but that is still a long 1/4 mile walk away.

My question is "what do you folks use for break in procedure when its impossible to load the engine promptly after starting"? I've never ran into this situation in my limited experience.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If it has a torque converter, I put the machine in third gear forward with the service brakes locked out hard and just stall the converter till the temperature climbs to just below the red on the gauge. Drop the transmission out of gear and let things cool and then do it again. Usually do this for about an hour.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Make sure you use Deere's break-in oil in the engine and not the latest engine oils. It can prevent proper break-in of the rings. Just make sure to change out the break-in oil at 100 hrs.

If you lift the cab up there is a valve next to the battery you could disconnect the park brake line from and cap the valve. That way you can load the engine. I would also have the machine blocked up off the ground for safety reasons. Just watch your transmission temps. The ripper you mentioned could would work as well.

Deere's procedure in the Engine tech manual (CTM86) reads - 1 minute at idle. 2 minutes at fast idle. 15 minutes at 1/2 - 3/4 load at 2000 rpm to rated speed. 10 minutes at full load at rated speed. I would stop after the 1/2 load part (using the park brake for load), get it back together and for the final part of the break-in work the son of a gun in the dirt. And don't baby it.