• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer Blade Hookup Issues

wolf44

I could use you guys help once again.
This time I have a skid steer dozer blade I am trying to hook up and can’t seem to understand how to do it .
First off it’s a cat 6 way dozer blade going on a Kubota SVL-75. Standard hydraulic hook up with an electrical control hookup that I believe it controls the tilt function of the blade which is what I cannot get going.IMG_1730.jpgIMG_1728.jpgIMG_1727.jpg
On my joy sticks the right one controls the angle function of the bade and works fine. The left joy stick controls tilt I just can’t seem to understand how the tilt function works ?
It seems that even though I energize the spool valve it won’t move the tilt cylinder, no hydraulic flow. What am I missing about a cat dozer blade control.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lil' Puss

Personally, when I want to do dozer work I use my bulldozer. :lmao
(I'm comparing this to my Dual Dozer). Are you sure the solenoid valves are functioning properly, actually moving?
Check the pressure source for that valve. Check all of the ground connections. Do you have a manual for it with schematics?

Tags

I think you need another switch to energize the solenoid on the blade to divert the flow to the tilt cylinder. On the kubota, the buttons on the right joystick control the aux circuit, the buttons on the left joystick would/could energize a switch/solenoid to divert the flow. You'd have to hold one of the buttons on the left stick while sending flow to the aux circuit, this should divert the flow to the tilt, once you let go of the left button it will return to controlling the angle. As far as owning a blade, I had one years ago that I bought used, I couldn't understand why the edge had hardly been warn down, then I tried it, and sold it. I can do more with a 4n1 than with that silly blade. The problem I found with it was they want to to use the tilt function of the loader to raise and lower the blade, it goes against everything I ever learned about running a dozer. You may have better luck with it, but a tilt tach and a good bucket may be a better bet in the long run....

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
What, I am the only one with a dozer blade ???
Anybody ???

No, I seen one at a Ritchie brothers auction one time.....unless you bought the one I seen and then yes you are lol jk

Pj

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I wired some of these a few years ago. You do need a separate switch to power the solenoids. I rigged mine on a three way momentary switch so I could use both functions on one switch. I built my own harness out of a three wire extension cord and ran power from the battery to the attachment. Put a loop in the cord going into the cab and had a magnetic mount for the switch.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
wolf 44 ….. I think I can solve this for you !!! ….. you have a CAT blade with wiring matched to plug-n-play on a CAT skid-steer …. Correct ! ……. now you want to use it on a Kubota Skid-steer , probably with a 14-pin Deutsch plug-in connector mounted on the boom …….. Correct ! ………. SIMPLE ! …. I'll bet the blades wiring schematics don't match the Kubota's wiring schematics …… you are not getting the circuit to work at the manifold ……… Just because the plug-ins match-up in looks and plug together does not mean that the internal pins are match'd or even in the correct location …….…. I've gone thru this a hundred times when getting a brand X attachment to put on my Bcat ….. I have my machine's schematics or 14-pin locations Mastered …. so it's no big deal for me on mine but that did not come easy ….. TONS of homework to get it there ….. Check it out …..

Last edited:

wolf44

We have tried to power the solenoids, no problem there, but what you have is NO flow to the valves. It seems that I need a diverter valve. where I can swap the flow from the blade angle cylinders to the tilt cylinder. the only hitch in this plan is that it seems that Cat is using hydraulic pressure to hold the blade at angle. Craft you say that you done this ? is this what you needed to do? As far as the ability to doze with this blade this is only for use at Deer camp to maintain roads drainage ditches and parking lots. It should be ok for that.

Tags

I believe you need to supply constant power to the solenoid which opens the circuit to the tilt and cuts off the flow to the angle. This would mean that while you are trying to tilt you'll have to hold the button down on the left joystick while tilting the blade. I had a blade on a 287b and this is how it worked. Hope this helps.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
We have tried to power the solenoids, no problem there, but what you have is NO flow to the valves. It seems that I need a diverter valve. where I can swap the flow from the blade angle cylinders to the tilt cylinder. the only hitch in this plan is that it seems that Cat is using hydraulic pressure to hold the blade at angle. Craft you say that you done this ? is this what you needed to do? As far as the ability to doze with this blade this is only for use at Deer camp to maintain roads drainage ditches and parking lots. It should be ok for that.

Look …..from what i'm seeing in the pics you provided is you have a manifold there that is requiring continuous flow triggered in the skid ……… from there the diverter valves supply hydraulics to either of the cylinders ……. the diverter valves are already those 2 units on top of the manifold …… I don't have a Dozer blade …. BUT I have a Blizzard 8611 pp, which is a snow blade that can angle left and right, as your dozer blade, it has 2 more functions that extend either or both wings out to widen the blade from 8'-6 out to 11' wide ….. these cylinders are double acting as yours are (other than mine has one more elec over hyd function at the hyd manifold than yours) ….. mine was a wiring nightmare for me, i'm no electrical engineer, LOL, but I had the OEM manual c/w wiring schematics that came with the new blade, Blizzard does NOT have a factory made harness that plug-n-plays for every skid-steer out there……. so I had to create one (which I did) I made dozens of ph calls to every where, Bcat dealers in the States and in BC,Alta,Ont. trying to find a dealer that had done this match-up Quik attach, Blizzard, you name it I called them ……. this was not the first time for me either …. the first time was when I bought the Hi-flow Buhler snowblower, again I had to figure out matching the 14-pin functions to the Bcat, on it there are 2 hyd motor functions and 1 hyd cyl to tip the deflector up and down …..

Both of those attachment were NEVER meant to Plug-N-Play into my Bcat or any other skid-steer for that fact ….. they BOTH had their own generic hand controlers which you Mickey Moused thru the door to their own controller ( PITA ) …… I paid big bucks to have the machine with all of the joystick buttons and wanted them to operate my attachments.

Both of those attachments had "1" common denominator …. they BOTH required continuous flow from the Skid to the Hyd Manifold, from there the flow is DIVERTED to the other accessories/functions as it appears in your case by the pics ….. they DO NOT use hyd pressure to hold a cylinder from moving the diverters are a valve that open and close at the manifold ….. they usually open/close in pairs (1 in and 1 out) then when you let go of the joystick button, they shut off holding the hyd oil in place where you chose to leave it (positioning) …..

Get the original owners manual for the CAT dozer blade (which is probably made by BRADCO) …. you may be able to download it off of either Web site …. or maybe a dealer can send you one in PDF form ….. either way you need to see a wiring diagram for the blade ….. you will also need one for your Kubota Skid-steer ….. otherwise you'll need to know WTF you are doing in order to figure out the combinations of pins you need to make everything work "Very Time Consuming" when this not your forte (as in my case I didn't know wtf I was doing when I began …. LOL)…….

OBTW ???? ….. did the blade come with a remote to stick (mag mount) in the cab ??? ……. because quite a few machines DO NOT have joystick control functions built in or 14-pin connectors, so they make a generic hand controller, alls you need then is 12v power ……

Last edited:

wolf44

Got it working !!!! What I had to do was put power to both solenoids at the same time tied to the left joy stick right button. The back solenoid is the diverter and the front one is the tilt control valve. to make it work you push and hold the left joy sticks right button and work the right joy sticks rocker switch to tilt the blade. Easy ---- Damn I'm dumb....

Tags

You cant be too dumb, you figured it out! It's no easy task to figure it out without having the Cat manual for the blade, everybody does it differently, glad you got it working, hope it works well for you.

wolf44

Thanks Tags:
Now if it will stop raining in Atlanta for more than 5 minutes I will give it a try.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Hopefully you will find some value in the dozer blade after all that. It seems for most guys its one of the those attachments that seems like a good idea, but with the short track on a CTL (especially smaller ones) the machine will really want to tortoise, and are light in the front of the blade making it hard to doze hard material. I think for backfilling drain tile or other types trenching they would work well. Congrats on making it work.

ljcpwalker

Got it working !!!! What I had to do was put power to both solenoids at the same time tied to the left joy stick right button. The back solenoid is the diverter and the front one is the tilt control valve. to make it work you push and hold the left joy sticks right button and work the right joy sticks rocker switch to tilt the blade. Easy ---- Damn I'm dumb....

Hi Wolf44,

I just picked up one of these blades a good price because the other guy didn't want to mess with the wire harness issue. So now I'm digging into wiring it up. I have a New Holland with the auxiliary hydraulics but no electrical controls. It will cost $$$ to get the wiring harness from NH so I'm planning on building my own and placing a momentary rocker switche(s) in the blanks on my existing handle. I am not quite following your description of running a switch on the left joy stick to power the toggle on the right... can you explain (maybe it's a kubota thing?). Can you give a little more detail of how the solenoids work from your "experimenting" so maybe I won't spend quite so much time when i get to playing with it? If both solenoids have to be powered to work the tilt can they be run through one rocker? From what I see and understand the angle is powered by the main hydraulic controly only and the tilt is controlled by putting power to both solenoids while running the hydraulic control? Thanks for any input.

Dmax7511

Wolf. What connector do you have I just bought a svl90 and it has a 14 pin connector. Can you send me a pic of yours

Bug4363

Hi wolf, I have the same machine and just got the same attachment and now I have the same problem... On my svl the 14 pin connector has 4 active pins, the cat attachment 8 pin connector has 6 active leads. Do you remember if you spliced 2of the 6 from the cat? In other words ground and 2 hot(2 wires total) to ground and hot on the svl? Got my fingers crossed you still participate here!! Thank you.

Bug4363

Wait a minute-a better question may be "Is that picture you posted a before or after the fix?". Just noticed that yellow wire nut that appears to be joining the solenoids....