• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Downsizing tires for snow?

mert0714

Charter Member
I know smaller tires and certain treads are better. What does anyone think of downsizing to 10 X 16.5 tires on a 262 (or similar size machine)? Will the rims hold up. Any problems from experience? Considering finding used rims and put some tires on for the 3 months we use it for snow application (if the price is right) and going back to floatation in summer time or do I need to stick with the stock 12 X 16.5?

ProWorkz.com

tires

Mert what skid steer are you running? I have ford 8 lug 3/4 rims on my skid steer with 6.5" wide studded snow tires.... No chains needed....

ricco

I have been using michilin radial skid steer tires winter and summer for the last 8 years they work great in winter.I use 10 ft wide pushers and dont have a traction problem.

xcmark

Occupation
construction
I would bet money that LT truck tires would be a huge improvemnet over normal skidsteer tires. a ice tires or blizzak would be my choice.

stuvecorp

Wonder what the OP ended up doing? Why downsize, go big! I got a set of 19.5 tires set up for a skid and there are also 22.5 tire setups. The traction is great and way more speed.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Why downsize, go big! I got a set of 19.5 tires set up for a skid and there are also 22.5 tire setups. The traction is great and way more speed.

I'd Love that idea too ........ especially having the 19.5" tires, the rated cap of these are way higher than 16 or 17" LT E-rated p/u tires for the heavier Skids.

"B U T " as you go UP in size so does your machine...... and unless you have a vertically adjustable attachment plate, the angles of attack will be majorly out for everything ..... hmmm. bad idea ...........

JMHO ....... GK

stuvecorp

I'd Love that idea too ........ especially having the 19.5" tires, the rated cap of these are way higher than 16 or 17" LT E-rated p/u tires for the heavier Skids.

"B U T " as you go UP in size so does your machine...... and unless you have a vertically adjustable attachment plate, the angles of attack will be majorly out for everything ..... hmmm. bad idea ...........

JMHO ....... GK

That is true. It is not so bad with an angle plow but really would like to have the plow 'adjusted' down to normal height. There is also the 22.5 tires, it would be very tight for them but speed is everything, right? :D

toomanymachines

Narrow is better hands down. less to crush through and more penetration. truck tires with winter tread should work well. the more the siping the better the traction on ice. I am sure you could get some caps at a not too crazy price. not sure what the rims would cost.

10/16.5 should also help narrower for better cut. the more the edges against the ground the better the traction on the snow.