• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Do you run Cat or JD controls?

Cat, JD, or other?

• Cat (SAE)

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • John Deere (ISO)

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • Other control pattern

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thebobcatkid86

Deere controls for me thanks. I started out on Bobcat minis so now I guess Im stuck with it. LOL. There was one time I was tailing the foreman for a big company around here, he let me on an E120B and I forgot to ask if there was a selector. Needless to say the ensuing half-hour made me look like a real A_s.:Banghead

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I have to go with the Cat Style controls. Get me on a deere and I look like a fool trying to work. Its only two controls that are different but it makes the biggest difference to me. On the new guys I like to flip the control pattern around when their not there and watch them try to figure out what the hell is wrong!!

deeredude

Depends on which way you have it set up. They can be either way. Our Deere does NOT have Cat controls.

our deere hoes have cat control, and all our backhoes have deeres pattern. its not that hard to switch off

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
As I'd said elsewhere, I could jump back and forth between a Deere control backhoe, and an "excavator control" excavator, and never miss a beat, but if you changed the pattern on the excavator, I'd be all screwed up.

Yesterday, I got on a CAT hoe, with the controls set to excavator, and had no problem at all. I don't know whether it was because it's been quite a while since I was on a hoe with Deere controls, or because the CAT had the pilot controls rather than the good old steel joysticks, but I was halfway surprised that my hands knew what they were doing....

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
I have a 315C L at home here I took from work for the weekend, to do another phase of my never-ending, lifetime project goal of completing a perimeter road around my 20 acres of virgin, wooded property.

I loaded it and never noticed the control pattern, because I didn't have enough time to have it register between my ears.

Once I got it off the trailer and went to do my first technical move, however, I was looking around to see if anybody was watching, because I was looking pretty stupid. Didn't take me 60 seconds to go fetch a 1/2" wrench, open the side panel and switch to normal Cat functions. Sat back down and it was poetry in motion from then on...A/C set at 65 degrees, favorite station on the FM...hated to see it get dark tonight. Tomorrow's another day though.:D

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
I like the cat pattern. I like to be able to pick up the machine in my right hand(boom down) and use the left to swing when tracking/moving my hoe. I can turn so much cleaner by picking up/swinging. Anyone else do this?

100% of the time, and I agree. Makes for a cleaner turn without tearing up sod, driveways, etc that way. Plus just something about being able to lift the boom while curling bucket, while crowding stick with the other hand makes for a smoother cycle when digging to precise grade, or even just raking material without penetrating the surface. Make sense, or not?:beatsme

Never really put all that into words before till now...just always thought it all out to myself. Probably 'cause nobody would ever care. :laugh

Truckie

Here are a few pictures I took from my machine showing the Cat and Deere controls and the switching control valve.
Thought I’d share them just in case anybody did not know what the valve looked like.
Also here are the control patterns.

Mike

Attachments

• !cid__0925070740.jpg
    !cid__0925070740.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,182
  • !cid__0926071158.jpg
    !cid__0926071158.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 3,590
  • !cid__0926071159.jpg
    !cid__0926071159.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 3,122

Tn Bulldog

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/ Truck driver
I Learned on John Derre controls but run Cat style more often now but still can pick up on John deere style real quick w/o a problem

later

Bulldog

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I learned on right sided Koehrings and left sided Link-Belts. Now days I can run a number two garden spade with either Deere or Cat patterns.

I do know I ran Drotts and Link-Belts with the so called Cat pattern long before Cats became popular in this area of the country.

dirthog28

Like many I started out on JD controls and now run Cat controls. I've noticed over the years that small contractors generally run JD controls and large outfits with union operators run Cat controls, I don't know if that is something the training centers teach or what.

Guys who tell you they can only run Backhoe with JD and a excavator with Cat and can swith back and forth all day I don't buy it. How can having the the controls besides you vs. between your legs tell your brain which one to pull, I don't know. Its one or the other for me.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I run Cat controls, tried to run Deere on a backhoe a couple years ago. I figured it out after a while, but I wasn't nearly as smooth. I suppose after a day or two I could get decent with it. But, I wouldn't put any money on being able to grab a pop can with Deere controls in the future.

Occupation
Heavy equipment Safety instructor
Cat vs John Deere

I know it sounds like bs, but I also can switch from backhoe (jd) controls to excavator (cat) controls all day and there IS something about the cab swing vs just the boom. Not so much where the controls are located1

dayexco

I know it sounds like bs, but I also can switch from backhoe (jd) controls to excavator (cat) controls all day and there IS something about the cab swing vs just the boom. Not so much where the controls are located1

swing and bucket curl are the same on both sets of controls, only thing dif is position of crowd and hoist.

ccmasrc

Occupation
Owner of a Campground in NH
I have not decided

just got a machine that will do both and keep switching but find myself on "cat" more often:usa

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Our 580 has Deere controls and our excavator has Cat. I couldnt switch for nothing.

I learned that way because it was how my dad was although he learned on a 3stick case years ago and switch to deere when he bought a 2 stick machine. He learned cat on an excavator and kept it that way.

solar140

Deere controls on a backhoe, Cat on an excavator. Most backhoes i've operated have been JCB and in the UK they have the deere pattern but moving in a diagonal direction and not a straight cross. I can switch from one to the other but it has to be from excavator to backhoe. I've not operated a backhoe for a few years now though. I always thought that the cat pattern was the ISO pattern maybe i'm wrong.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I always thought that the cat pattern was the ISO pattern maybe i'm wrong.

Cat documentation and standards state that their excavator pattern is ISO. Thats about the only thing thats clear. The use of the term "Standard" by some manufacturer's causes confusion and we have, on this forum, manufacturer's pictures of their patterns, the same as Cat, stating that it is SAE. So its possible SAE = ISO and that Backhoe or Deere represents the common alternative.

You can have a read as far as we got with this issue here:

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=9&page=4

:confused: :beatsme

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF solar140! :drinkup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Cat documentation and standards state ......So its possible SAE = ISO and that Backhoe or Deere represents the common alternative.

Ya know, that's probably the first question that should be answered on the Caterpillar forums, wherever they may end up.... :cool2