• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Do Not overtighten inverted flare fittings

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
A common hyd fitting is the inverted flare. My personal opinion, I have no particular fondness for them as compared to JIC or flat face o-ring fittings because all to often I run across an inverted flare connection that has been overtightened. These were on the center swivel of a Case 9050B excavator, and rather large fittings, 1 5/8" wrench size. The hose fitting nut was so tight that it simply loosened the fitting in the swivel body. Grrrrrrr. I knew right then I would have a problem. Sure enough, once I broke the hose fitting nut loose, it got tight screwing off, had to beat on flats of hose fitting nut to get it unscrewed, nearly all the way to the last thread.

Here's what happens, notice the fitting placed on the swing motor, notice how the flare of the sealing surface tapers inward into the fitting, that's what's known as inverted flare. Then notice the taper in the hose fitting that mates with the manifold fitting. What happens when you tighten these fittings too tight, that taper of the hose fittings gets crammed harder and harder into the inverted taper of the manifold fitting. This results in expanding the very end of the manifold fitting making it a slightly larger diameter than it originally was. So a person would fit up this connection, lock it down excessively tight, and in doing so they expand the fitting inside the made connection. When the next fellow comes along to take the connection loose, and the fitting threads are now expanded, it makes that nut so tight on the threads it will screw off hard all the way because it's the very end threads that are expanded. In the case with this particular fitting, it started locking down and began growling from friction. When this happens, you have to take a ball peen hammer and hammer on the flats of the nut to slightly expand the nut, if you don't, you will gall the threads. I can't say what the exact torque procedure is for these fittings, always done it by feel myself, I can only say don't lock them down until the nut will turn no more, then give it an extra 300 pound arse pull for good measure. Bad idea. :cool:

Inverted flare fittings 001.jpg

Last edited:

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
Glad to see I am not the only one to have experienced this. Bomag has this style fitting and back about 5 yrs ago they over torqued most every hose at the factory with the exact same result.

Somewhere in my pile of stuff back home I have a torque chart for these fittings.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, it's a very common european fitting motrak. And I mean no offense to our euro buds across the pond. It's not that this type fitting is inferior to any other, it's just the plain fact that a fitter must give special attention to the torque given to these when mating the connection, or they will create a monster for others that follow after him. :yup

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I recall those are called British Ball Nose and you are very correct in that they are nothing but a pain. They are used all over the Sumitomo line of excavators.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
ATCO you mentioned the 1 5/8" wrench size. I get the feeling that a lot of mechanics think that a large fitting needs to be torqued according to the wrench size. They don't stop to think that the fitting is large because it has to flow more, not because it needs to be reefed. Luckily when you work on equipement that's in your care, you realize what you tighten will eventually have to be loosened.

bill onthehill

I think Case assemblers go a little overboard on tightening hydraulic fittings. I have had to get a helper and cheater pipes to get them apart. Did not overtighten the new hose and never had a problem.

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Very well said Atco ...This is one place where if "a little will do a lot will do better " ...Hate thread gall ..Lawd .

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Luckily when you work on equipement that's in your care, you realize what you tighten will eventually have to be loosened.

Hence my reasoning that any fastener that doesn't require threadlocker gets Never Sieze. :yup

Very well said Atco ...This is one place where if "a little will do a lot will do better " ...Hate thread gall ..Lawd .

Yup, gall the threads on fittings like this and one finds they are realtively expensive fittings by a few bucks.

My main reason for posting this info is for the machine owner that has these type of fittings on their machine and to altert them to tighten with care. The "crank them down 'till they won't take no more" method will cause them grief in the future. ;)

maytag

Occupation
Hydraulic technician in a steel mill
fittings

These fittings are used extensively in the steel manufacturing sector, just started up a new cold mill where all the mill stand hydraulics is done with this type fitting in stainless steel-what a PIA where you follow construction hands that don't have the correct tools or training.

Tom

Prairie Dog

We had this same type of fitting on a new case 621 wheel loader we rented. Of course we didn't know it was this type of fitting when it started leaking, so we tightened it. Good thing it was in am akward spot, we couldn't get a lot of tourque on it. Case came out and replaced the fitting. Not fun having down time on a rented piece of equipment. I personally wouldn't mind if I never would see that type of fitting again.