• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DIY window screens?

skyking1

But they are hard working. One look at the business end of that arch made me tuckered out. I remember what little choker setting I did, I was 20.
That's a whole lotta NOPE now :)

D5Dan

The screens on my flail axe are angle that fits over the rops and are bolted in place using short flat pieces. I didn’t build these, came on the machine when I bought it. They have (thankfully) stopped a bunch of “chips” when I was still learning the ropes along with keeping branches outta the command center…certainly wouldn’t expect them to hold up to more than that, but might give you an idea of how someone else held them onto a cab.

1709350388415.jpeg1709350411868.jpeg

Oh, and yeah; she can chip a 6” pine tree to a nub in no time ; )

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
I guess I missed the boat here, are we talking about screening in the entire enclosure on the machine in question? or just mimicking the standard forestry package that most dozers can have included in the factory build? If we are talking the standard rear and side screens that cover the rear completely and the sides usually from the rear corner to the side post center way and leaves the entry open on both sides you have three ways to exit the machine if the need arises, two sides and the front. Which to me is sufficient to protect the operator in the logging situations. I have a JD 450E with that setup and it works excellent in the woods. jmho

D5Dan

I agree with Mcrafty and welder Dave that multiple exit options are key…personally I don’t like my setup only having two…but on the other hand all my work is off road in very hilly rocky terrain…far cry from highway maintenance it was designed for…

The other item I should point out is looking/working thru the mesh for hours (typically I run mine for about 6 hours a pop) I find my eyes at the end of that timeframe start to get a “buzzed” effect of constantly looking through the bouncing mesh…but likely you’ll hook up a hitch then drive forward (and not look/work thru the mesh) but if you are going to fully enclose the cab, buyer beware. Or plan to have some slots or flip-up “windows”…hey, maybe a “window” could dbl as an escape hatch??!!

Excited to see what direction(s) you take your build!

pamtnman

Spring loaded door latches like cab doors have is 1 option.
Cool idea. Given how rough logging is, anything that is not bolted down or welded in place has a good chance of coming loose. Especially from the kind of hard knocks trees throw out of the blue.

pamtnman

I guess I missed the boat here, are we talking about screening in the entire enclosure on the machine in question? or just mimicking the standard forestry package that most dozers can have included in the factory build? If we are talking the standard rear and side screens that cover the rear completely and the sides usually from the rear corner to the side post center way and leaves the entry open on both sides you have three ways to exit the machine if the need arises, two sides and the front. Which to me is sufficient to protect the operator in the logging situations. I have a JD 450E with that setup and it works excellent in the woods. jmho
Correct. Standard forestry package. Plenty of escape routes from a rolled machine, and probably a lot more than the fully enclosed cab has.