• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DIY window screens?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I suppose OSHA may frown on drilling holes in the columns,

Well it is OSHA regs of course but just as important is a compromised ROPS brings all sorts of liability issues (trial lawyers) if someone gets hurt or worse killed, while operating the machine that has a "compromised" ROPS.

Also it diminishes the value of the machine to any purchaser that can see it has a damaged ROPS. I know I would use a damaged ROPS as a negotiating tool to get the sales price down.

Tugger2

I used to build rear and side screens the D8 s and D7s that were road building . The ROPS on most of these machines had lugs for screens welded to the canopy posts right from the factory. usually 2X2 X3/8" was used for the lugs drilled for 1/2" or 5/8" bolts.Id build a full perimeter frame out of 3/8 or 1/2 X 3" flatbar. I used 2X2"X1/4" woven wire mesh ,welded each wire to inside of the flatbar frame . Im not sure if the woven mesh was the same as rock screen , the stuff we ordered was specificly for canopy screens. These screens would stand a good poke from a big limb or a top pretty well. We only ever screened the sides and rear.

pamtnman

What happens if you roll it on the side, can you still get out ?
The loggers are much more concerned with being speared and smashed by branches and tree tops than the remote possibility of rolling and not being able to crawl out a side. If you are not familiar with logging dozers, hunt up a few pictures. They are almost like Mad Max machines, often armored and always heavily screened to protect the operator from all of the snapping, whipping, popping under pressure tree parts. So, escape not a primary concern.

pamtnman

Well it is OSHA regs of course but just as important is a compromised ROPS brings all sorts of liability issues (trial lawyers) if someone gets hurt or worse killed, while operating the machine that has a "compromised" ROPS.

Also it diminishes the value of the machine to any purchaser that can see it has a damaged ROPS. I know I would use a damaged ROPS as a negotiating tool to get the sales price down.
I concur in all things here. That is why we will stick with the factory threaded holes in the ROPS and the frame for mounting any screens we install.

Welder Dave

I would think you could make clamps to hold the screens that wrap around the ROPS that wouldn't require welding or drilling the ROPS. I'd use something like 1 1/2" × 1/4" flat bar that wraps around the ROPS and has tabs bent out for a bolt. Have a space between the tabs for your screen mounting tab. Once you bolt everything tight the clamps are squeezed very tightly to the ROPS holding the screens. Kind of like a pipe clamp except for square tubing. They could be 2 piece too with bolts on either side.

skyking1

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
The loggers are much more concerned with being speared and smashed by branches and tree tops than the remote possibility of rolling and not being able to crawl out a side. If you are not familiar with logging dozers, hunt up a few pictures. They are almost like Mad Max machines, often armored and always heavily screened to protect the operator from all of the snapping, whipping, popping under pressure tree parts. So, escape not a primary concern.
I am familiar with loggers, we have them all around here I work with them.
If you roll the dozer, it might catch on fire, and if you can't get out, you'll be burned alive.

Doo you really want that ?
If you rent this out, and a customer dies.....

pamtnman

I am familiar with loggers, we have them all around here I work with them.
If you roll the dozer, it might catch on fire, and if you can't get out, you'll be burned alive.

Doo you really want that ?
If you rent this out, and a customer dies.....
So you are ok with enclosed cabs, but not screens? You challenge a member on a subject and when they present you with examples you decline to look?
Look Doug, I am new here. I am friendly to all and happy to get and give advice. I don’t like your negative attitude here. It’s weird. It’s unnecessary. If I gotta block ya, so be it, but I prefer a friendly and positive conversation. If not for me, change for yourself

pamtnman

I would think you could make clamps to hold the screens that wrap around the ROPS that wouldn't require welding or drilling the ROPS. I'd use something like 1 1/2" × 1/4" flat bar that wraps around the ROPS and has tabs bent out for a bolt. Have a space between the tabs for your screen mounting tab. Once you bolt everything tight the clamps are squeezed very tightly to the ROPS holding the screens. Kind of like a pipe clamp except for square tubing. They could be 2 piece too with bolts on either side.
Excellent design, I like it!

pamtnman

That stuff is important. I had too small a machine doing demo, with no guards. A piece of steel got away from me while I was loading a truck and it took this casting off. My foot was next to it on the travel pedal so that was a good thing.
View attachment 306754

We did a stand down and they got me this rig with that ballistic front screen. Much better :)

View attachment 306755
Holy carp. That was close . Yeah, great example of why and how to armor up.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
So you are ok with enclosed cabs, but not screens? You challenge a member on a subject and when they present you with examples you decline to look?
Look Doug, I am new here. I am friendly to all and happy to get and give advice. I don’t like your negative attitude here. It’s weird. It’s unnecessary. If I gotta block ya, so be it, but I prefer a friendly and positive conversation. If not for me, change for yourself
I'm not negative, I'm trying to keep you safe.

If that involves dis-agreeing with you so be it.

I'm not screaming at you, I simply suggested possible scenarios
that you may not have thought about with your home made screens.

A fully enclosed cab many times has a push out panel/window.

Look, your gonna doo what you want anyways, so just get on with it.

skyking1

Excellent design, I like it!
Dave's idea is what I would do if you got all done and it rattled and drove ya nuts, for some supplemental action.
My accident, we were tasked with demoing 6 million + pounds of concrete form panels after building the SR520 bridge side pontoons.
They gave me a JD 225 without guards. When you are going over the side of a 13'6" end dump, it is too close IMO.
I had a ball of rebar all folded up nice, and this one pesky 1/2 x 4 steel strap 10' long.
It slipped out at just the right angle to spear the lower window and that pedal at a pretty good clip. The casting took all the energy out of it or it might have been more interesting.
Keiwit does not do things by half measures, and I got that brand new 290 class with the guard.
It was so nice, like shooting 3 pointers compared to the 225.

pamtnman

Although we can fabricate these ourselves, it pays to check in with pros. Man oh gees, talk about salty. And the price of only slightly better screen than the really robust 1/4” is too high. Oddly, the one fabricator gives great prices on steel banding. We are still weighing this all out. On the positive side, the hillbilly log arch is staying in place. Bad news, the winch is acting up. Never a dull moment, but fortunately we are working with wood and not flying steel like SkyKing.

Attachments

• IMG_2816.jpeg
    IMG_2816.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 24

skyking1

If you have a moment and are inclined to share, bring back some pictures. Hillbilly log arch sounds fun.

Welder Dave

If you got real creative, you could have swing away screens with a latch that could be released from the cab. Then in the event of a rollover you'd have a way to escape. There would have to be a way to get in the machine anyway.

pamtnman

If you got real creative, you could have swing away screens with a latch that could be released from the cab. Then in the event of a rollover you'd have a way to escape. There would have to be a way to get in the machine anyway.
Interesting idea. I don’t know how well that holds up to the logging environment. In terms of bumpy rides etc. We are wracking our heads trying to figure out the most basic solution to the side screens. Now I don’t claim to have the smartest people assembled in one spot!