• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DIY window screens?

pamtnman

Anyone here made your own DIY window screens for your dozer? If yes, how did they work out, was it harder than it looks (does not look that hard).

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums pman! Glad to have you.

I am guessing you want to use this dozer in the woods? Is this a hobby machine or a machine you earn a living with?

$2675 isn't bad considering the steel, mesh and hardware is probably 1/2 that.

pamtnman

Thanks gents. Oh this is a business machine. No hobby about it. The steel mesh and the strapping used in the frame costs about fifty bucks. I just bought them, thinking about making my own. The really nice ones sold commercially are beautifully done, with drilled holes for the individual wires. I don’t see the real practical advantage to that on the side screens. Front, rear, yes. Thank you guys for the input, much appreciated

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Thanks gents. Oh this is a business machine. No hobby about it. The steel mesh and the strapping used in the frame costs about fifty bucks. I just bought them, thinking about making my own. The really nice ones sold commercially are beautifully done, with drilled holes for the individual wires. I don’t see the real practical advantage to that on the side screens. Front, rear, yes. Thank you guys for the input, much appreciated
My main point is....Do you have paid employees running the machine ?

pamtnman

Yeah SkyKing, that’s an excellent point. Any deviation from the pre -drilled holes probably results in a ROPS that’s no longer OSHA approved. It is a very good warning, because in the logging world some machines are up-armored like the military “hillbilly armor” by necessity, not necessarily by some degreed engineer plan. While these improvements are unquestionably protective of the machine and the man in it, some of them might involve attaching at key stress points that weaken it and undermine the purpose of said improvements. Going to take more thought than I anticipated. Thanks.
DiggerDoug, only contractors, not employees. If they don’t have their own machine, then they rent ours at a discounted rate. Overall I think the ROPS is the only regulated part of field safety here. Adding additional safety features can’t hurt with the bureaucrats.

skyking1

you are very welcome. If you go into the job knowing you want to preserve that ROPS entire, then it is easy to do. You can even put some support up from the chassis of the machine, rather than hang it all on those holes. The less it loosens up and rattles, the better.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
DiggerDoug, only contractors, not employees. If they don’t have their own machine, then they rent ours at a discounted rate. Overall I think the ROPS is the only regulated part of field safety here. Adding additional safety features can’t hurt with the bureaucrats.

What type of business are you in?

pamtnman

you are very welcome. If you go into the job knowing you want to preserve that ROPS entire, then it is easy to do. You can even put some support up from the chassis of the machine, rather than hang it all on those holes. The less it loosens up and rattles, the better.
Again good point. I think the screen sets come with pole for each side. I just can’t spend the money on something that looks like we can fabricate it in an hour.

Kyfarm

Anyone here made your own DIY window screens for your dozer? If yes, how did they work out, was it harder than it looks (does not look that hard).
I made these with material I had laying around. If I had enough of the expanded metal I'd have used that for all but didn't. Even so the vertical pickets work way better than nothing. I'm absolutely sure though that the holes I drilled so the panels are removable make the ROPs non-certifiable any more. I didn't care though cause a D31 isn't gonna be in a mine or construction site....

I would definitely do it again although I couldn't do it by myself anymore, my shoulders are destroyedIMG_0159.JPG

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
I suppose OSHA may frown on drilling holes in the columns, but in my opinion making metal framework and bolting them on (filling the bolt holes and adding rigidity) would actually improve the strength of the structure. I'm no engineer though, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

chidog

I used rock screen, and think it was 1/2 thick bar don't remember the width 3 inch or so.
Welded brackets on the ROPS just like the dealer would.
Made the window frame from the bar, and welded the screen to it. Turned out great.

pamtnman

I made these with material I had laying around. If I had enough of the expanded metal I'd have used that for all but didn't. Even so the vertical pickets work way better than nothing. I'm absolutely sure though that the holes I drilled so the panels are removable make the ROPs non-certifiable any more. I didn't care though cause a D31 isn't gonna be in a mine or construction site....

I would definitely do it again although I couldn't do it by myself anymore, my shoulders are destroyedView attachment 306695
Drive-through window on the one side, prison on the other! I like this. The screens are fabricated to fit into pre drilled holes and held in place with stock posts that also attach at pre drilled holes. But like you say, if you aren’t running it in some heavily regulated environment, it should be fine. It would work for us

pamtnman

I used rock screen, and think it was 1/2 thick bar don't remember the width 3 inch or so.
Welded brackets on the ROPS just like the dealer would.
Made the window frame from the bar, and welded the screen to it. Turned out great.
I like the rock screen better than the pretty flimsy screen material I bought.