• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digging wall footings, need pointers and tips ASAP

hosspuller

D grade ... That's a good attitude in the face of disappointment. Keep your options open. Let them know if they get stuck without an opr. You'd like the chance to develop some speed. Besides, you didn't break anything. Speed at the price of broken equipment or hurt people is a poor trade-off.

Speed comes with practice. I'd still not make it as a pro operator, but I'm a lot faster than when I first started. You will too.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Well, I didnt make it. Lasted longer than another guy but I just simply wasnt fast enough. Got to run a 446D with a hammer and that was pretty fun. Oh well, maybe next time. :-/

We've all been there at one point. At least it was experience doing something you hadn't done before. Like Hosspuller said above, speed comes with practice.

Blueboy

Occupation
Machinist. God bless America ! ! !
I thought it was "a temp-to-hire and given good performance, will be permenant in a few weeks"? One day is not enough time to prove anything.

Let them know if they get stuck without an opr. You'd like the chance to develop some speed.
+1

I would go back and see if they will give you another crack at it. I got a couple of good jobs by being persistent. Don't be a pest but show some interest in working for the company.

I like your attitude. Your dream job is just around the corner.;)

Blueboy

Occupation
Also, ask him what you did wrong. If its only about speed, ask him to give you some tips on how you can improve.
Good luck and God bless!

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
They said they dont have time to train and that its all based on production. As much as Ive tried to keep a positive attitude about it, its actually taking a pretty hard toll on me. Just heartbreaking when no one wants to give you a chance. I think the most frusterating thing is that Ive asked countless operators how they started and if they ever went to school and only one of them has gone to an apprenticeship program. The rest learned on their own and I keep asking myself when is someone going to give me the chance to put some time on a hoe and get faster? Im skilled enough to get a job done but no one has the time to give me to get faster. Pretty frustrating and heatbreaking because this is my career dream.

Dickjr.

Two pieces that are the hardest to learn to me are the backhoe and track loader. Keep looking around , with it being Spring , you may find a job with a local contractor even part time. Most everybody around here started in the ditch then got the chance to operate later on. Some of those guys should have kept a shovel in they're hand. You might even consider taking odd jobs on the weekend and rent a backhoe , the thing about this is you won't make much but will gain experience. I always thought that a person can't really be told how to run a machine , they have to learn it. Some guys I have dug footers for go about it a strange way but the end results are the same. The backhoe is so versatile , you need to learn more than footers anyway. One thing as well , some people can't be satisfied.

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
Thanks DickJr, honestly I thought I was doing decent. I didnt really get a chance to show what I could do. I got stuck trying to dig out rock at the start of the footer. My nerves got the best of me because I had the boss and seven others watching. Another guy hopped on and he got to start on the next section of the footing, he was really good, then the last guy hopped on and he was going way too fast and digging the footers too deep. He got let go and didnt handle it as well as I did. Anyways, I think you guys are right and I should have been given a week to let my nerves settle and get my speed up.

Oxbow

Unless you don't care for this company after this you might ask them if you can be a laborer with the hope of graduating to operator. As Dickjr. stated many of us started that way.

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
Not to be brash but it seems as if Arizona only hires Mexicans for labor and I assume that is to pay minimum wage. This is what Ive observed with most companies here. I also know most started that way but I dont want to be stuck in a labor role for a long time, Im pretty tired of working for a living not doing what I want to do. I think what Im going to have to do is go to school and obtain a CDL to make myself more valuable. As Much as I want to start pulling sticks now, Im just tired of getting shot down and not given a chance to show the skill and passion I have now. :-(

Blueboy

Occupation
With only high school experience it took 3-4 years for someone to hire me as a beginner machinist. And after 29 years and several jobs later I am finally making a good wage.
You can not expect to get your dream job right off the bat. Everyone has to put their time in doing something they don't want to do until an opportunity comes along. Yes it is very frustrating! But these things build character. Be patient and keep a good attitude. Its your life and its up to you what road to take. But I can only say it wasn't until I put my trust in JC when things started turning for the good.

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
Well said Blueboy.

I had an interview with PCL today, they are hiring for equipment operators on their Horseshoe Dam project here in AZ. Submitted an application and background check so I guess we'll see what happens. Looks like I will probably get a decent amount of operating in but itll most likely be mainly labor.

Jonas302

That sounds like a terrible company to work for you should be glad you didn't get hired because it wouldn't improve any after the first day you would get faster and they would just want more

D Grade

Occupation
Service Technician
That sounds like a terrible company to work for you should be glad you didn't get hired because it wouldn't improve any after the first day you would get faster and they would just want more

Thanks Jonas, I look back now thinking the same thing.