• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digging right next to power pole

Beel

I need to dig 2 feet away from a power pole buried 7' for a soil nail wall. Was thinking about driving a soldier pile next to the pole and strapping it. Anyone had to deal with this. The pole is already leaning away from my cut so im certian she would timber if i dont support it. Thanks guys. :beatsme

Underdog

Call the utility that owns the pole, they will usually come and hold the pole in place for you, its part of their job.

Yes its their job but you will pay. Had a sewer line going in next to a power pole that belongs to FPL utilities. I had to pay upfront the sum of $2200 for one truck, two men one day minimum to hold the pole while we dug in the sewer line next to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

heavylift

some companies will guy the pole at the top and bottom to hold the pole...

mostly guy them here as to not tie up a truck for a day or two....

they are usually done before we get to a job... so we can dig dig dig go go go

heavylift

crude but you can see the how...

the the bottom line is wrapped low then over a block of wood and over to the guy anchor..

haven't had one go over yet when they use this method...

Attachments

• pole.JPG
    pole.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,987

rino1494

Call the utility that owns the pole, they will usually come and hold the pole in place for you, its part of their job.

Yep, they would rather spend the time holding the pole instead of fixing it. We ran a sewer line near a pole and they came out and loved it, because they got to sit in the truck all day and do nothing.

dayexco

our utility companies here provide that as a free service. they have an old boom truck with the pole grabber on the boom, and at ground line, they throw a chain and binder back to the pintle hitch of the truck and tell us to call em when we're done...they don't even hang around.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Dayexco it sounds like you have a good utility company to work with.

For the sake of a little thread hijackery, I tell a story about one:cool: interaction I had with Bellsouth Telephone, now part of AT&T I believe. We had a town home project where a large pedestal was located right in the middle of the new entrance to the project. Couldn't move the road over due to a small access area and county requirements for ROW and such, believe me if we could have I would have.

So we had completed the clearing and grubbing and had the center lines laid out for all the roads plus the entrance. I contacted Bellsouth (took 45 mins to reach an engineer that even knew what I was needing :rolleyes:) and initiated what I knew would be a painful process.

After the initial contact and a few site meetings (read 2 months later), I received the "cost" to move the pedestal 20' - $10K and change!:eek: Of course I was so mad I was spitting nails but what do you do? So I sent them a check for $10K, with all backup paper work and phone calls to the "engineer" (I have dealt with these folks before :rolleyes:).

A month goes by from my Bellsouth rectal exam payment and we are at the point were we are tying in the domestic water to the main line and getting ready to string curb line. I hadn't seen hide nor hair of a work crew and the only correspondence with the "engineer" has been to leave him voice mails. So the water is tied in and we begin fine grading the streets and I leave the "engineer" a voice mail (version cleaned up for HEF of course :cool2) that we are pouring curbs and paving and would he like his pedestal in the middle of our new entrance?

The last VM to the "engineer" obviously got results. Received a call from the engineer that a crew would be out tomorrow to begin moving the pedestal, great I thought only 3 months after the initial meeting and 1 month after I paid them. The gypsy subcontractor crew that showed up was so pathetic that I almost felt sorry for them, except the thought of my Bellsouth rectal exam cost was still fresh in my mind.:mad:

The "crew" had an early '80's Ford single axle with some shovels and an air compressor. This project was solid Alabama chert and if anyone has ever worked it, you know that these guys were in for workout. They sawed and chipped rock for 3 days prepping the trench for the conduit. We had our curb stakes in and graded up to the pedestal. I told them it was not deep enough to be below subgrade but they "assured" me that they would get it deep enough. At this point 98% of my patience had been used up and the other 2% just didn't care.:bash

Fast forward to the completion of the pedestal move. Curbs go down and we are prepping the subbase for stone base. The motor grader clips the conduit (it was deep enough alright:rolleyes:) but doesn't damage the wiring. Operator asks me what to do, I say let's dump base. :thumbsup (There was 6" of curb face at the paving section and a 9" paving section so we didn't clip the conduit while grading for curbs.)

If this pedestal in the story would have been a dead end pedestal....there wouldn't be a story I would want to repeat.:D

Beel

heres what im dealing with, the pole has to be supported until the wall is complete, boom truck is out of the question

Attachments

• small_DSC01395.jpg
    small_DSC01395.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,655

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
small_DSC01395 1.jpg

For my 10cents worth I would call the service owner and let him deal with it.Over here under our h&s reg you are too close to the wires attached to that pole and holding that pole with two traffos ,if anything moves it gets very expensive.I would also be looking for services at the foot of that sucker.

DGODGR

We had a similar scenario in CA after an earthquake. It was on Balboa Blvd (where a large [10" I believe] gas main had ruptured and some pour unsuspecting guy started his truck to go to work...CABOOM! One house gone up in flames, at least (1) person dead (guess who), and a major LA street in shambles. I digress. We came to the scene to replace a poured in place telephone manhole because the city was going to place a moritorium on tearing up the street, after the earthquake damage was repaired. The manhole in question was at the foot of an existing DWP power pole. Not only did we have to expose (3) sides of the pole but we also had to excavate below the bottom. This meant that the pole would basically have to be held so it would not fall over, or drop. I will describe the instructions that the DWP gave to us for holding the pole (basically in the air) so we could work around it. We had to have (4) 4" x 12" timbers. (2) should be 20' long and (2) should be 16' long. The (2) 20' timbers will lay on the ground (with the 4" side face down-12" tall), with one on each side of the pole. You will need to drill a hole through the timbers and the pole (big enough for a 1" all thread). Install washers and nuts, and tighten everything up so as to pinch the pole. Next, take the 16' timbers and bolt them to the 20' timbers about 15' away from the pole. This should leave about 5' of the 20' timber sticking out from this connection. The other end of the 16' timber will be bolted on both sides of the pole (as described for the 20' timbers) wherever it will intersect the pole when placed at a 45 degree angle (up towards the top of the pole). Once everything is bolted up, take (2) trench plates (6' x 10' is preffered, or bigger), and place them on the exposed end of the 20' timber. Once this is done bury the plates with dirt. The braces will hold the pole (with the help of the attached cables) from moving, and you should have way more weight (between the plates and the dirt) than what the pole weighs. This set up will allow the pole to be completely suspended in the air. The biggest difference that I see (between your situation and mine) is that I was working on a paved road ,+/- 70' wide no less, and it looks as though you would be working on dirt, with an unknown (to me) vertical cut in what may be unstable soil (hence the soil nails). I still think it will work. You might have to go with larger, and longer timbers to get the weight mass far enough away from the cut.
I hope my description made sense (it did to me, but I was there and can visualize it), and was helpful. Good luck.