• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digging around unstable structures....

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Well, I'll be the first to post a little "whoopsie" of mine that could of caused me injury if things hadn't happened as they did.....

It was around 2:00 in the morning and I only had 2 more hours to go before it was time to go home. The problem was, the boss man gave me a 3 hour job that had to be completed before I left. I had to dig out the A-frame supports of a conveyor with the backhoe.

The conveyor is about 35 ft. long and is positioned at a 45 degree angle to the ground. The belt carries screenings from the sand screw and makes a stockpile that is moved by a loader when time is available. The tail pulley of the belt sits on a concrete slab about 3 ft. tall with the head pulley being about 15 ft. from the ground. About 10 ft. down the belt from the head pulley are the support legs that sit on a buried slab.

The support legs were 2 pieces of 2 1/2 inch steel pipe that had become deteriorated because they stayed buried in wet screenings all the time. I was supposed to dig these out so they could be replaced with the new supports made out of galvanised I-beam.

I had one of the loaders come over and move what they could from the pile. I then brought the backhoe over from the plant and set up at a 45 degree angle to the head pulley. The screenings hadn't been moved from around the supports in a while so they had become packed. I used the back bucket to pull them down and once I would get a decent pile, I would use the front bucket to move it out of the way.

I got one support totally exposed all the way down to the buried slab. I noticed the excessive deterioration where the supports had been buried and decided to further test the support's integrity before digging any further. I moved about half way down the belt, on the side, and pushed on it slightly with the back bucket. No excessive movement was noticable so I considered it safe to continue digging.

I moved around to the other support and again positioned myself 45 degrees to the head pulley. I started to pull down the screenings and had just swung my second bucket away from the belt when a big chunk of screenings sloughed of exposing the LACK of the other support. There was actually a foot gap between the ends of the support that had rusted away. The packed screenings had actually been supporting the conveyor.

As soon as I made this observation, I noticed the conveyor start to lean in my direction. I immediately swung the seat around, threw it into forward and put the pedal to the floor. All of the sudden there was a violent shake and then the front end of the backhoe came about 3 ft. off the ground. Everything was quiet....

After the stars stopped spinning from around my head, I turned around to see what had happened.

When the conveyor had collapsed, the head pulley had ripped about 2 inches out of the corner of the roof. It had then come to rest on the boom, which was still extended, and had lifted the front end off the ground. I climbed off the machine to see why my desperate attempts at moving had been unsuccessful.

In my hurried state, I had forgotten to raise the outriggers which had left the rear wheels a couple inches off the ground. The wheels was spinning but I wasn't getting no traction....

In the end, they replaced a pinched metal hydraulic line and the fiberglass roof skin. While I felt like I had been in a battle with Mike Tyson, I had no injuries. If I had been a couple of inches closer to the belt, it would've squarely caught the corner of the ROPS and probably collapsed them somewhat as they were never meant to support that kind of weight.

On Edit: Here's a picture I made to better explain the situation.

Accident.jpg

A couple things I learned:

1. When attempting to move a backhoe, the outriggers must be raised.

2. When digging around unstable structures, stay far enough away so that if the structure falls, it will not contact yourself or the machine.

3. Have a spotter when working around unstable structures. They are focused on the structure while you are free to operate.

4. Always wear your seat belt if the machine is equipped with roll over protection. If I hadn't had my seatbelt on, I would've ended up back there at the contact point.

5. Never leave the machine unless you have a clear view of what is happening and are absolutely sure you can make it out of harms way. The roof had my view blocked leaving me no way to determine exactly where the conveyor would've made contact. If I had decided to leave the machine, I could've jumped directly into harms way.

Well, this thread is now open for discussion.

Last edited:

Lashlander

What kinda hoe is that? Looks a little boxy! :D
Your also a lucky guy. I 've dug a lot of conveyors out and always sit off to the side. However to tell you the truth its not because I was concerned with a collapse. Its so with a minor adjustment I could get both sides of the stand. I'll think about that now. Also keep in mind where everyone else is too! Good Post.:thumbsup

Countryboy

Occupation
Alright, this thread has had 79 views and Lash was the only one who responded with opinions. I know there are more opinionated people out there so come on.......out with them, good and bad. :cool:

And I know I'm not the only one who makes mistakes :angel . Lets see some more threads in the Safety Competition forum. It will be a learning expierence for everybody. :thumbsup

Jeff D.

Alright, this thread has had 79 views and Lash was the only one who responded with opinions. I know there are more opinionated people out there so come on.......out with them, good and bad. :cool:

And I know I'm not the only one who makes mistakes :angel . Lets see some more threads in the Safety Competition forum. It will be a learning expierence for everybody. :thumbsup
My opinion is that you've got my vote so far on being the best (only) thread in this section.:rolleyes:

I've made alot of mistakes that I've learned from, but they were mostly trucking type mistakes(don't know if they're allowed) and often someone could've been killed had things gone completely wrong. Digger definately said those kind weren't allowed.

That's a problem with trucking while around the general public. You make a mistake and people can get hurt fast.:(

Grader4me

You are a very lucky man. Could you have positioned your machine out of harms way and still been close enough to dig? Also the statement you made about raising the stabilizers first is a good point, but everything happened so fast, so that would be quite easily missed. When you only have a couple of seconds to make all of them moves....

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I've made alot of mistakes that I've learned from, but they were mostly trucking type mistakes(don't know if they're allowed)...

We do a lot of trucking here too, Jeff. Maybe not a lot of freight box trucking, but that's ok. As long as the lesson is something that can be related to what we do on the job, it's worth passing along.

...and often someone could've been killed had things gone completely wrong. Digger definately said those kind weren't allowed.

No. I just said you're disqualified if you kill yourself, and it's probably best if you don't kill anybody else either. That was tongue-in-cheek, but my intention was to discourage things (like the pictures of the guy squashed beneath the dozer that we've seen from several different sources), that cross that line into the morbid or gruesome. Excluding the deadly accidents, the potentially deadly accidents are the ones we'd most like to avoid, right?

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
First question why are they doing plant maintenance at 2 am ?

I know when I worked at the gravel mines work was done at day light. If one of the stackers at the mine fell on the backhoe it would have crushed it.

If the plant supervisor has let the gravel built up around the conveyor supports that long that the steel is rusting the guy should be fired. It sounds like this is a haywire operation with a real lack of maintenance.

In the day light you should have seen the conveyor leaning they would also have problems with material spilling off the side the conveyor is leaning.

You were lucky you were not squashed and you did the right thing about staying inside the backhoe.

If the conveyor was that bad why wasn't it being supported by a crane ?

Sorry but that accident is from lack of experience in mines. The plant maintenace is lacking. Any gravel mining operations I have been in and worked at the gravel was never left around support towers or foundations of the crushing and screening equipment. The plant is constantly being maintained nothing is left so bad that its rusting.

As I said who ever is in charge of the maintenance at that operation should be fired. The gravel mine operations in this area have employees constantly digging material away by hand or with a backhoe or one of the loaders.

Maybe you should visit a gravel mining operation that produces 1 to 2 million metric tons per year. You work at those type of mines safety is a big thing soon as you step out of the lunch room you need to wear hard hat,hi vis clothes and safety glasses. You never take chances your always alert.

Lack of experience caused this accident its not just you its the others that work in that operation.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
THANK YOU, Ford LT-9000!

When we were discussing whether this forum would be a good idea or not, the question was raised about whether people would be willing to share their stories, if they thought they might be criticized for what they described.

If the plant supervisor has let the gravel built up around the conveyor supports that long that the steel is rusting the guy should be fired. It sounds like this is a haywire operation with a real lack of maintenance.

Sorry but that accident is from lack of experience in mines. The plant maintenace is lacking.

As I said who ever is in charge of the maintenance at that operation should be fired.

Maybe you should visit a gravel mining operation that produces 1 to 2 million metric tons per year. You work at those type of mines safety is a big thing soon as you step out of the lunch room you need to wear hard hat,hi vis clothes and safety glasses. You never take chances your always alert.

Lack of experience caused this accident its not just you its the others that work in that operation.

Constructive criticsm is expected in reply to any of these threads. NOTHING OF YOURS THAT I QUOTED ABOVE ABOVE IS THE LEAST BIT CONSTRUCTIVE.

As I subtitled the forum "Leading by (lousy) example", I must congratulate you. The sixth reply to the first thread, and you've given us all an excellent example of how NOT to frame your replies here. Leading by lousy example? You are truly a master of the art form. :notworthy

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Only if you can tell us what you learned from it. :)

Copy it into a new thread, and add anything you think appropriate. CB needs some competition... :thumbsup

Countryboy

Occupation
As much as it pains me, I will respectfully answer all of your comments to the best of my knowledge. :)

First question why are they doing plant maintenance at 2 am ?

While the task at hand would be considered clean up, it was done at night because I had the time to do it.

I know when I worked at the gravel mines work was done at day light. If one of the stackers at the mine fell on the backhoe it would have crushed it.

I totally agree but sometimes a job has to be done and time of day is not an issue. I have been working on the night shift on various jobs for over 10 years and feel comfortable accomplishing any job that could be tackled during the day time.

While I think firing would be a little extreme, I must say that if everything was in perfect order then there would be no need for a maintanence or clean up crew.

In the day light you should have seen the conveyor leaning they would also have problems with material spilling off the side the conveyor is leaning.

It was noticed in the daytime, hence the steps that were taken to correct the problem.

You were lucky you were not squashed and you did the right thing about staying inside the backhoe.

I'm glad I didn't get squashed too.

If the conveyor was that bad why wasn't it being supported by a crane ?

It was not known to be in that condition until I commenced digging.

Sorry but that accident is from lack of experience in mines. The plant maintenace is lacking. Any gravel mining operations I have been in and worked at the gravel was never left around support towers or foundations of the crushing and screening equipment. The plant is constantly being maintained nothing is left so bad that its rusting.

Yes, I agree. My 5 years in the mining business has given me little knowledge of a mining operation.

As I said who ever is in charge of the maintenance at that operation should be fired. The gravel mine operations in this area have employees constantly digging material away by hand or with a backhoe or one of the loaders.

I couldn't agree more. Materials should never be left to build up like that.

I would like to work at a 1-2 million ton a year quarry but unfortunately I am stuck at a 7+ million ton a year quarry.

I will not debate that. I will say that I did gain the expierence from the accident though.

I am happy to tell you that most of the members of management you spoke of are here tonight. I will be forwarding these excellent ideas to the appropiate departments so we may further increase our safety standards.

When they ask who came up with these supurb ideas I will be happy to inform them...."The little man that couldn't get his little trash business off of the ground". :)

Thank you for your great comments as I have never been so thoroughly insulted. :drinkup

As we say down here in Georgia.......YEEHAW!!! :Cowboy

CB

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
digger242j and Countryboy, you two are still actually paying attention to what Ford LT-9000 posts???? You must be the only two left on the Board who do!:falldownlaugh

My Dad had a phrase for guys like that, Jack of all trades...master of none!

Thanks for the post Countryboy, I know I'd never have considered that the support beam had rotted away. It makes sense that it did, but it wouldn't have crossed my mind. It's good that no one was hurt.

Jeff D.

We do a lot of trucking here too.....

.......Excluding the deadly accidents, the potentially deadly accidents are the ones we'd most like to avoid, right?
Alrighty then, I'll do it!!
(soon :eek: )

I don't want CB to get to run off with all the "HEF" t-shirts.:wink2

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hey CB.....from the smouldering wreckage...we emerge:D

Whats the long term solution to them pesky legs what corroded and nearly squished ya??

Did they modify routines to make sure they don't get pile up around them...build the legs out of stainless?? Whats the up shot?.

(Every cloud has a silver...ish lining)

Countryboy

Occupation
Yes the plane wreckage........it broke in half didn't it. :D

The supports were replaced with galvanised I-Beam. In the end though, they completely did away with the belt because the new wash screen, they installed 2 months later, didn't call for a belt. It was removed and placed in the scrap area, on the ground.......where it wanted to be in the first place. :cool:

BrianHay

Sofar this thread has my vote. great storie :thumbsup And the discussion to follow very educational :professor and at times realy entertaining :falldownlaugh

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)

Have no fear CB, I'll respond. The picture you posted tells us you were running either a Dynahoe, or a Pettibone?:beatsme Very square machine there, son.

Glad you didn't get hurt. That coulda been a bad one for sure. The stabilizers down with the pedal to the metal...don't feel alone pal. Got the tee shirt with the fleece & hood...:D

Countryboy

Occupation
Have no fear CB, I'll respond. The picture you posted tells us you were running either a Dynahoe, or a Pettibone?:beatsme Very square machine there, son.

Glad you didn't get hurt. That coulda been a bad one for sure. The stabilizers down with the pedal to the metal...don't feel alone pal. Got the tee shirt with the fleece & hood...:D

Actually, its an old JCB......:cool2. Ok, more like a Cat 416C, I think. :D

I actually draw better with crayons but they say your sposed to be gorwn up to work at the quarry, SO I have to leave um at the house. :beatsme

It still ticks me off though that I had to go through all that just to have them do away with the belt a couple months later. :Banghead