• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diesel Laptops - Scam?

dieseltoolz

What happened to the posts this morning? The guy sort of seemed legit or was it just a scam or free advertising?
I finally got one recently. the only complaint is that the tech support takes a while to answer but better than paying $10k plus for the same thing

dieseltoolz

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic

Tenwheeler

Mitchel has heavy truck program as well. Not as good as OEM, but way better then nothing.
The guys selling diesel laptops have all hacked programs. Most of them found it for free then are trying to make money selling it. If you look hard enough it isnt that hard to find.
But I do not have those abilities much.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Also there is the issue will the Chinese data link adapter work with whatever program they have installed, if you DIY you are bound to have trouble. Having someone pre-set it up for you is worth money, I think.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
MOD EDIT - spam content removed

Just some guy in his garage most likely cranking them out, don't ask.

Although I did see something similar in So Cal for around $2k recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

crane operator

We ended up getting this: https://www.diesellaptops.com/colle...s/products/diesel-heavy-duty-tablet-scan-tool

So far it has read everything I own, that we've plugged it into. We discovered that one of the engines has lost can to the diagnostic port, so it doesn't read that engine.

Its been kind of handy that the screen/ display portion, is separate from the diagnostic port portion. It uses a bluetooth signal between the two. So where the port is in the engine bay, (I have a KW that way), or in the single man cab cranes, we can do diagnostic drives to see what's going on, and not have to be a wired connection.

We were having troubles in our 90 ton that would only occur when driving, so I could send one guy to drive the crane, and my mechanic was in the upper cab with the scan tool, seeing what was going on in real time as the other guy was driving.

They had a used "return" demonstrator model that I purchased, it was like new for just over $2,000.

IceHole

The new trend in software is best described as a lease......Autodesk (autocad) is going to it. You never own the software, pay by the year with full support and upgrades/updates are included. Stop paying, your software ceases to work.

Just another way to screw the small business owner, big companies can handle it, us little folk get hosed.

Ed
Quick books went to that.

I fired them and just use a spreadsheet and paper now. Wasn't paying $300 a year when that could easily cover 5-7+ yrs if I could buy the program.

IceHole

I didn't see where on the site the Office 2019 was anything other than a subscription. Too late now anyway as it all came with the computer. Thanks for checking that, I appreciate your time doing that.

I had to plead with our IT at work to get Office working, was going to cost a few hundred? for a license.

Do you REALLLLLY need it?

Use spreadsheets daily and do multi-millions in sales a year... seriously?!

I use Libre Office at home since my legit copy of Office 2010 (bought from Microsoft) won't work anymore and I'm not spending $$ on an annual subscriptions

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
MOD EDIT - spam content removed

Just some guy in his garage most likely cranking them out, don't ask.

Although I did see something similar in So Cal for around $2k recently.
Was the guy I was replying to a newly registered spammer or something? It seemed like a legit question to me but I can't really remember now.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Was the guy I was replying to a newly registered spammer or something? It seemed like a legit question to me but I can't really remember now.

Yeah spammed same info in a couple of posts.