• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diesel Laptops - Scam?

Wes J

I see adds online and on craigslist for "Diesel Laptops" claiming to give OEM level diagnostic abilities for pretty much every OEM. Prices seem to be in the $3000 - $7000 range.

Here's an example of what they claim:

international, Cummins, cat, Detroit, Mercedes Benz, Eaton transmission, Bendix and meritor brake diagnostic systems, dealer levels of the actual oem diagnostic programs some with lifetime subscriptions. Has some manuals and oem service logins as well ( cat sis and international on command).

So are these all running pirated software or is this something else? It certainly seems shady.

StanRUS

Diesel Laptops use Pirated Software
Cat Service Technician Workbench / Version 2006A
NOTICE:
The information contained in this package may be used by Caterpillar dealers or customers under a signed License Agreement, including the requirement that the information be maintained in confidence, and no part shall be transferred to, disclosed to, or used by others. As updates to data libraries and upgrades to software are received from Caterpillar, all previous versions of such software and data libraries must be removed from use and destroyed. Service Technician Workbench CDs/DVDs should be locked in a cabinet or desk when not in use and access limited to those requiring the information for the internal operations of the license.
REF:
http://www.autocd.info/Caterpillar_GettingStartedGuide.pdf

Last edited:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Back in the 90s navistar had EZtech. It was a software package for dealer techs to perform troubleshooting, data logging, programming, all that stuff. On that same laptop we had DD , Cat ET , Cummins Insite ,Meritor, Kelsey Hayes and a bunch of other stuff. Each program was licensed. I wanna say that they claimed to have 8k invested back then. Now you have more players and inflation. I can't see it being more affordable. Plus you have some vendors claiming that they support the yellow iron. CAT, Deere, Volvo, Komatsu and whatever else. I know I couldn't pull the trigger on that size of an investment without serious documentation and backing

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
The new trend in software is best described as a lease......Autodesk (autocad) is going to it. You never own the software, pay by the year with full support and upgrades/updates are included. Stop paying, your software ceases to work.

Just another way to screw the small business owner, big companies can handle it, us little folk get hosed.

Ed

Wes J

There is software out there like Texa that can do most makes of trucks and heavy equipment, but that's not what these folks claim to be selling.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I just ordered and new Mac computer and need to have Microsoft Office on it. You can't buy the software and a single package that just stays on your computer anymore. You buy a subscription to the package that has to be renewed every year. To use current Microsoft package now is around $70 per year.

I can't imagine what all the different software packages for specialty uses are going to cost in the future. Seeing as how vertical integration is now the desired operating practice of all manufacturers and the government has been used to establish and enforce pollution regulations, I can see a time in about ten years when the number of independent shops and mechanics will be squeezed out of business.

Wes J

IMO, it's actually much better than it used to be about 10 years ago. I remember the shop I worked for wanted to buy Cummins Insite software and we could not buy it because we were not an authorized Cummins dealer. It's now much easier to get. There are laws such as the Moss Magneson act that protect our right to repair and modify products we purchase. Legally, these OEMs have to make the tools and software available to everyone at a reasonable cost.

Some companies, like John Deere, refuse to comply and fight this in court. I believe Nebraska is working on a "right to repair" bill that would require anything sold in Nebraska to be repaired by the owners using factory software. I hope is passes and spreads.

It's much better in the automotive world. Companies like Alldata and Mitchel can license OEM service information and sell it to you as a subscription. You can get factory service info on any OEM from one source for one cost. We can only dream of that in the equipment world. There are many state laws that protect these rights and even companies like Tesla have to follow suit.

pushbroom

Mitchel has heavy truck program as well. Not as good as OEM, but way better then nothing.
The guys selling diesel laptops have all hacked programs. Most of them found it for free then are trying to make money selling it. If you look hard enough it isnt that hard to find.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Legally, these OEMs have to make the tools and software available to everyone at a reasonable cost.
Some companies, like John Deere, refuse to comply
See attached on the right to repair. Also you can buy JD's Service Advisor here as well as others.
https://www.epcatalogs.com/

Attachments

• r2r_statement_of_principles.pdf
    471.5 KB · Views: 24

Zrupp

I have a couple computers loaded with dealer level software that I use daily. Buy an OEM interface adapter and it’s hood to go. Do not purchase any texa software as it is nothing more than a code reader. My business would not be where it is without my diagnostic laptop. I prefer the label “modified OEM” vs pirated.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I just ordered and new Mac computer and need to have Microsoft Office on it. You can't buy the software and a single package that just stays on your computer anymore. You buy a subscription to the package that has to be renewed every year. To use current Microsoft package now is around $70 per year.

I can't imagine what all the different software packages for specialty uses are going to cost in the future. Seeing as how vertical integration is now the desired operating practice of all manufacturers and the government has been used to establish and enforce pollution regulations, I can see a time in about ten years when the number of independent shops and mechanics will be squeezed out of business.

Just an FYI, MS has put out Office 2019. It's a standalone office suite. It's called on-pemises software, so just google "office 2019" or "office on-premises". You'll get there. I want to say it was like 250 bucks. Total CF how everything is going to a subscription, I know, but I prefer the regular "install it on your laptop" stuff. Sometimes my internet goes out, and I can at least be somewhat productive, with the standalone.

StanRUS

Just an FYI, MS has put out Office 2019. It's a standalone office suite. It's called on-pemises software, so just google "office 2019" or "office on-premises". You'll get there. I want to say it was like 250 bucks. Total CF how everything is going to a subscription, I know, but I prefer the regular "install it on your laptop" stuff. Sometimes my internet goes out, and I can at least be somewhat productive, with the standalone.

Older versions of MS Office work with Win10 starting with Office 2002. If you have the MS Office license and DVDs, go to go. MS updates the installed MS Office for security bugs. Nor sure about Mac-Apple OS PCs

John C.

Occupation
I have the older stuff on my desktop. Unfortunately that wasn't available for the new computer as far as I could find out.

John C.

Occupation
I didn't see where on the site the Office 2019 was anything other than a subscription. Too late now anyway as it all came with the computer. Thanks for checking that, I appreciate your time doing that.