• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diesel emission regulations

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
All this has given me a new tact when dealing with customers who complain about a bill. Basically I tell them they elected the government and as long as they keep electing the same people, the cost of repair is always going to go up.

Maybe they should think twice next time about who gets their vote.

quantum500

I may be cynical but the faster we get rid of small business the faster we get rid of big government. With no tax dollars to spend its kind of hard to enforce rules that are impossible to comply with. Prepare for a collapse in the bond market and the government defaulting. Ugly but true.

DPete

After reading Jerry's last post the "wait and see what happens" might have been the smartest route. Thanks for keeping us up to date Jerry

maloba

Really sad. High handed govt decision making and lack of participatory approach with industry stakeholders on such an important n sensitive industry. Best of luck but need a really strong lobby forum

412neal

Occupation
excavating contractor
Like it isn't hard enough to make a living in this bus. I just survived my two worst years in almost 20 years , great lets raise taxes in addition to the emissions that outta put me under for good

John C.

Occupation
This link is very interesting reading on the air pollution laws we are all going to get sucked into for the next four years and on.

http://enr.construction.com/products/equipment/2010/0414-Tier4StandardEquipment-1.asp

It all starts at the end of this year on the Federal level. California really only jumped the gun on the feds to say they were first. The manufacturers are on board because they have to have some way to recoup all that research and development money they spent. In the article the manufacturers are saying the new engine will run less expensively but from my point of view that is not possible.

More thoughts?

Rod Michaelson

Occupation
equipment manager
John,

Manufacturing companies have to follow these Tier 4i/Stage 3a rules here in the US and in the EU at the same time. The regulation is the same.

In California the intent of the Air resources board is to not just add new machines with cleaner engines but to make companies get rid of all Tier 0 machines now and Tier 1 machines in the near future and also install diesel particulate filters of up to 20% of a fleets horsepower every year. All this is what was going to needed to be to be compliant.

A real inventory of the emissions emitted by construction equipment in the state by late 2009, (after all construction fleets were registered and each engine was placed in a huge database), the CARB is now reassessing what to do now with emission levels 200% less then expected from their estimates.

A construction company, dealer, rental company or manufacturer does not have a clear path to emissions solutions. Companies have spent MILLIONS to become compliant and now seems to have wasted this money.

CARB is a great example of why government doesn't work.

Rod

John C.

Occupation
Rod,
The article is about Federal Tier 4 regulations being phased in starting January 1, 2011. The final requirements will be set for 2014 and all must comply. The results are the same except on a national level. What California jumped ahead on was federal laws that were going into affect anyway.

Not only will diesel particulate filters and exhaust gas recirculation be required, but most manufacturers will also need to do diesel catalytic reduction which means carrying a hazardous material in trucks and equipment which may be as bad for the environment as any fuel soot emitted.

So my point is that what happens in California is only a precursor of what is going to happen to the rest of the country anyway. We have started down that slippery slope to oblivion.

The triple witching hour appears to be set for 2014.

Rod Michaelson

Occupation
equipment manager
John,
I would agree that the rest of the country will catch up and those contractors who think, "it won't happen here" are kidding themselves.

We have to stay proactive and keep a balance between clean air and using our equipment. It can be done but it won't be easy and it won't be cheap. The US and the EU are moving in unison starting this coming January and the FEDS are making sure that no more Tier 3 machines will come out of factories after January. You need a new machine, it is going to have one of those expensive Tier 4i engines and DPFs installed.

Good luck to us all. We'll need it.

Rod

412neal

Occupation
excavating contractor
I went on a CARB diet once , didn't work out so well , leave us alone if you want to cut emissions , great , introduce new equipment with the restrictions and let it phase in gradually all of us are barely getting by , I am finally getting my head above water after 2 brutal years , it will take me at least two years to recover. This year is starting out GREAT , just got another big job , hope everyone out there is doing good , I thing it's turning around , what say you ? :)

Rod Michaelson

Occupation
equipment manager
I find it interesting that 5 months before the general election the government agencies find all these funds.

Our memories are short and when it all falls apart again in January the powers that be will have two more years to jerk us around. California is in debt $20+ billion dollars and are letting jobs out all over the place. With what money?

Glad you are doing well, but don't get comfortable.

Rod