• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DEF systems

DIYDAVE

in the process of buyin a new machine, gonna keep the old one, fer the dirtier jobs, at least till something major breaks...;)

Truck Shop

When the loader, excavator or truck leaves the drawing board it's life expectancy was designed into it. Cummins, Cat or Detroit doesn't want to keep building replacement parts for old engines.
They want you to buy a new one. Therefor after so many years it's automatically an obsolete part, engine or piece of equipment. There's no money in manufacturing old obsolete equipment.
And those companies like the EPA rules, emission systems are money makers.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Agreed. Stuff that was new when I was a kid (80’s) is still going. I seriously doubt much of what was new when mine were born (04,10,14) will be around when they’re my age. We’ve got Watson rigs from the early 90’s that have rolled hour meters twice so over 20k hours.

I’m curious to see what the Soilmec looks like IF it makes that many. I doubt it does. It’s all the unnecessary crap that will doom it just like all the other modern equipment. Same with pickups. The bones will be good but unless we repower with something mechanical they won’t move and none of the bells and whistles will function.

Funny thing is with my background being in older iron I sometimes look like a genius when I fix older stuff without a computer! Haha.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Can still see Vette's at the car shows from the 50's/60's even early 70's with Metal bumpers. When they went to the molded plastic conformal body lines stuff the materials rotted so fast you could see the cars after 10 years sitting with those bumpers crumbling off. Still hard to find 80's cars with those plastic covers that are not crumbled crap or OBVIOUS Foreign made replacements. Same holds true for the HE market, ultralight wiring, very fragile, obsolescence of electronics faster and faster where the old hard part steel warriors are Still getting it just parts are thinning out as the manufacturers quit producing. Laughed when saw my first Komatsu Cummins Clone with EXTERNAL fuel lines, just could NOT believe they did that. Surprised they did not clone the old 180s with a blower.

Truck Shop

With any tier four engine one of the worst problems is idling. If it doesn't need to be running shut it off. Even with the great piston/liner and ring sets of today excessive idling will
cause wet stacking, especially in winter. Summer is just as bad because everyone wants a cool cab. The only benefit of summer is the engine temp stays in the higher zone.
Even with engine idled up it is lacking a boost charge from turbo. In my end of the diesel repair our biggest problems can be related directly to excessive idling. The DPF does not like oil.