• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere vs. Cat 160-200 size excavators

BC Placer gold

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. A 160 is half the machine a 200 is, even though the reach is close. I would not even consider a 120 for a moment if you're already asking about a 160-200.

To move it a mile a couple times a year on 5 axles, that's what they make permits for.

We work in steep country and the increased weight, undercarriage width/length make a big difference in productivity & safety for the operator. The extra length of track on the ground is significant; makes steep ground safer, easier to climb up on a pile etc. As mentioned by others; a lot more comfortable for the operator. Around here moving a 210 is pretty routine as well.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
The irony is I could not burn it. I had to hide it in a corner.
I kept it all clean but the burn permit they could get specifically stated no stumps, and the fire department had been out there so we dared not try.
The government is so ridiculous with the rules if you have a safe place to burn them what does it matter. The stumps burn just like logs. The stupidity of people in charge...

These ninnys just want to be into every aspect of our lives.

I recently cleaned up some tornado damage. Lost a lot of prime old growth trees. Stumps 12' tall took me 3 fires and 2 years to finally get some of it gone. Last 2 big fires burned for 3 days straight 15 hour of machine time feeding it.20240103_124131_exported_1705509488969.jpg20240102_174924_exported_1705509572604.jpg20240102_152530_exported_1705509798934.jpg20240103_124022_exported_1705509899682.jpg

Last edited:

MG84

What is the weight capacity of your 45' step deck trailer? I'd be less concerned about what is legal and more about not overloading my truck/trailer, considering you're only moving it short distances locally. Moves like that are easily accomplished on a sunday morning or at night....

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. A 160 is half the machine a 200 is, even though the reach is close. I would not even consider a 120 for a moment if you're already asking about a 160-200.

To move it a mile a couple times a year on 5 axles, that's what they make permits for.
He is getting by now with a 6 ton machine. So whatever he is doing he is managing with that. How much bigger do you go before it becomes way over kill? A 145/160 would already be 3 times larger than he already has and he can haul it with what he owns without permits or overloading (I am assuming that). He could also rent any of the larger machines he is considering and decide for himself what best suits his needs. I don't sense that he is aware what any of these bigger machines are capable of.

Last edited:

Farm Rigging

What is the weight capacity of your 45' step deck trailer? I'd be less concerned about what is legal and more about not overloading my truck/trailer, considering you're only moving it short distances locally. Moves like that are easily accomplished on a sunday morning or at night....
I'd have to check, I don't remember off hand.

Farm Rigging

He is getting by now with a 6 ton machine. So whatever he is doing he is managing with that. How much bigger do you go before it becomes way over kill? A 145/160 would already be 3 times larger than he already has and he can haul it with what he owns without permits or overloading (I am assuming that). He could also rent any of the larger machines he is considering and decide for himself what best suits his needs. I don't sense that he is aware what any of these bigger machines are capable of.
I have ran a JD 490e digging a foundation in the past and it was a nice machine. Liked the 160 I ran for a couple days a lot except for the derating because of emission issues (2013 volvo) Had a 200 hitachi briefly but had undercarriage issues from day one and never really got a chance to actually use it like I wanted (tracks kept popping off even with tensioner maxed out, rails were shot along with pins) So yes, I have some experience but no, never have actually put one on a stumping or clearing job to see their full potential. I have been considering getting a lowboy but not thrilled about that idea.

Farm Rigging

As far as work-getting-done ratio goes, is going from a 160 to a 200 like going from a 4 ton to 6 ton machine? Thats what i'm gathering... you can do what a 6 ton will do with a 3-4 ton but it just takes longer and is most likely harder on the machine.

skyking1

It's hard to describe the difference. What stands out is with a bigger machine, you just casually reach over and do a thing, where with the small one, you turn, point it at the job, walk over there and do it. Once the trees are out it is quite dramatic the circle difference. Tossing piles and organizing stuff is so much easier.
Tracking in general is greatly reduced.

chickenminer

Get the bigger machine. In my experience ( I have 4 excavators) you always want more reach, power.
I've never wished for a smaller machine, except if you're just taking out the trash !

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The answer to the question really depends on what your doing with it, how important is the productivity level, and mobilization of the machine . If you have a 10' stick on the 160, the reach is practically the same. The 160 is narrower so you lose some lift over the sides especially. If you can move a 210, then go that way, but I dont think you can with what you listed. I am not convinced you wouldn't be over with a 160. The 210 has more lift capacity so you can run a bigger bucket, and lift more. The question becomes if bucket size matters, given the use, I would say not. Could you handle bigger trees, pull stumps a little easier with a 210, yes you could. Does any of that productivity increase matter? How big of trees and how big of stumps do you plan on pulling? If you can legally mobilize the 160 but cant mobilize the 210 and your not doing these things everyday as in working commercially, I would say something 160 or smaller would be fine.

I would rather be able to move the 160 at will without overloading the truck and trailer (or buying a different trailer) and move it legally without sh$tting a brick when you see a temp DOT scale set up while your moving it. Because at the end of the day, your not working commercially, while your time is valuable, taking a little longer does not keep food off the table. So why buy a higher rated low boy to haul a bigger machine, that at the end of the day, really isn't making you money day to day. It is simply saving you from hiring someone else.