• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 959K, hotsaw to processor. Feasable?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
From what I've seen here the processors work fine in pre-thin on flat ground. Problem with them on clear cuts is you have to steer the tree down instead of being able to place the stems in piles for easy yarding. I've seen bunchers make three cuts to get a tree down and the knives on the processor wouldn't open enough to get around the trunk.

Skeans1

It’s possible to do, yes there was the one down at OLC with a hot saw with a heel and grapple for shoveling, another company down here has a 909 with the harvester boom that has a heel with grapple saw they cut, shovel, and load with. Worst part of doing the swap would be pin line up which could be fixed with a pulled and some quick connects. Falling with a processor is easier on the machine in my opinion less stresses on the boom, with something larger you double or triple cut the same bunching is no issue just takes practice like anything.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I ended up buying a Cat 552 buncher but have decided to trade my 3756G in on a 909/FD750 and sub out my 552.

Skeans1

I ended up buying a Cat 552 buncher but have decided to trade my 3756G in on a 909/FD750 and sub out my 552.
Did it have the rock tillers and hitch put on it? One that has always crossed my mind is the newer 800’s so you could do all the above plus load with no tail swing.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Ya, it's the hillbilly hotrod version.
I will be able to fall, log & bunch for my yarder with it.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I have not. My buddy has an 855, 909 & 552 all setup the same & likes the 909 best.

Plebeian

If you preferred to keep the 3756g?
Did you consider changing the boom on the Cat 552 (not sure what series you have) to either a harvester/ processor boom or harvester boom? (Cat do 4 booms for the series 2 552?)
or an aftermarket pierce boom (if their order book is not too long) or satco (or ems/ woodsman-pro compact harvester boom)
I am unsure how or if the trump tariffs effect things now.
https://goughgroup.co.nz/rsstest/615-cat-552-series-2-track-harvester (september2014) (552-2 with ems/ers woodsman-pro compact boom with woodsman-pro felling head, ers bought ems's share of woodsman-pro in 2016)

http://emsnewzealand.co.nz/contact/ (kelso, wa contact)
http://www.satco.co.nz (under products/ boom & arm sets)

Depending the economics/ condition of the 552 - a satco compact boom with southstar 750 felling head or waratah series 2 FL95 or satco 630e might go together (or harvester/processor boom with a satco 630e fellin head and quick swap to 3 series satco processor head & safeboard.com folding ladder etc.

Last edited: