• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 450C transmission clutch linkage question...

I have a Deere 450C crawler loader and it has not run in years, so a new battery and it is running fine. Went to move it and the clutch pedal linkage doesn't seem to be doing anything... I have the YUGE JD shop manual and I searched for transmission clutch adjustment and there is a tiny crappy 'sketch' of the parts involved with the transmission clutch and foot pedal. Is the foot pedal supposed to rotate the pivot pin it is on, like with a set screw or something, or does the pedal just pivot on the pivot pin and the other linkage on it does the actuation? The pedal does not return to the up position, so I'm guessing the return spring is missing in action - guessing it is floating around inside the bellhousing? I have the floor plates up and trying to figure where to start on this? Does anyone have a picture of a properly adjusted foot pedal with linkage?

Okay, thanks... It has been so long since I ran this machine and never really changed transmission gears much that I forgot what the clutch pedal is supposed to feel like. I found section 70 and that helps to explain the procedure, but is the throwout bearing actuated my hydraulic or mechanical means? When I press the clutch pedal, shouldn't it feel similar to a truck/tractor clutch where I can feel when the throw out bearing is making contact with the pressure plate fingers, then press further to release the clutch? I think the return spring must be broken as the pedal just stays down and I have to pull it back up with my foot. Also when I press the pedal, I don't fell it making contact with pressure plate, just goes to a solid stop.

Welcome to HEF John;)!

Okay, thanks... It has been so long since I ran this machine and never really changed transmission gears much that I forgot what the clutch pedal is supposed to feel like. I found section 70 and that helps to explain the procedure, but is the throwout bearing actuated my hydraulic or mechanical means? When I press the clutch pedal, shouldn't it feel similar to a truck/tractor clutch where I can feel when the throw out bearing is making contact with the pressure plate fingers, then press further to release the clutch? I think the return spring must be broken as the pedal just stays down and I have to pull it back up with my foot. Also when I press the pedal, I don't fell it making contact with pressure plate, just goes to a solid stop.

If you have the shop manual TM1102, go to section 70, page 20-6 for the adjustment procedure.

View attachment 258378

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I don't fell it making contact with pressure plate, just goes to a solid stop.

That could be the adjustment being out.

I think the return spring must be broken as the pedal just stays down and I have to pull it back up with my foot.

If the pedal moves freely and it is not seizing on the pivot, then I would agree, broken spring.