• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 450 or 650?? First Dozer

special tool

It is very illegal.
The king of the towing hill right now is the Ford Super Duty F350.
It can tow 17,000 pounds.
QUOTE]

I see 350's and even 250's go through the weight station with 20k trailers loaded on a daily basis.

A 350 with a 20k trailer is a CDL sized truck:D

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.
The manufacturer's MAX tow rating on highest tow rated 1 ton in history is the new Ford F350 - that means if you exceed this, and cause an accident with fatality, you are going to jail.
You can falsify your reg. papers in some states, but in the end, the state cops will read what the MANUFACTURER rates the vehicle at.;)
We all know that there are a lot of jerks on the road who don't care about my kids, and they get away with stuff all the time.

rutwad

Legal or illegal...:beatsme

Here in Alabama, I bet the DOT troopers don't know.

I had a 1-ton and 20k GN trailer. I went to take the test for my CDL. Before doing the walk-around, the DOt official was looking for the MFG tag on the trailer. She found the 20k rating and she was confused. She went in to get another official to come out with her. He too found 20k on the trailer. He looks at the empty trailer, looks around and says "I don't see 20k pounds of weight. This can't weigh 20k.......:pointhead"

You would not believe how hard it was to convince him that was the weight rating. The lady insisted on knowing the tare weight. i told her I did not know. She insisted that she must know the empty weight of the trailer.

Is towing a JD450 with a 1-ton safe? I think it can be. Loaded properly to disperse the weight, and good trailer brakes should be fine. Alot will depend on driving style.

Someone mentioned that a one ton does not have the weight to stop it. What about the F550? It can tow quite a bit more, but I would not think it's that much heavier of a truck.

Alabama once had a "Farm" tag that allowed people to haul their own equipment for personal use, and they were not required to have a CDL. I'm not quite sure of the details, but it was something like that anyway.

nathan812

every truck or equipment forum has had this arguement thousands of times. It just depends on your state and the circumstances on wether you will be stopped or not. Check your local regs. Most of the time the DOT looks at what your GCWR is which is what is printed inside the door jamb on the truck and usually on the neck of the trailer combine the two and that is what you can haul if you have the right license etc. etc. etc.

panic button

Alabama once had a "Farm" tag that allowed people to haul their own equipment for personal use, and they were not required to have a CDL. I'm not quite sure of the details, but it was something like that anyway.

They still do, but it's not really a tag. All you have to tell the trooper is that you are hauling to your farm. No stopping at weigh stations etc, and you must be within 350 miles of you farm or address on DL.

rutwad

They still do, but it's not really a tag. All you have to tell the trooper is that you are hauling to your farm. No stopping at weigh stations etc, and you must be within 350 miles of you farm or address on DL.

Do you know if Alabamian's have to run a weight tag (ie.- X1 or X2) if they claim "Farm"?

Does this also eliminate the need for DOT stickers, truck inspection, medical card, CDL, etc?

THANKS!

td25c

Just trying to do some research before I make any purchase. If you were looking at a JD 450 and 650, both approx. 6 years old, both 2400 hours, equivelent wear, etc- basically identical other than size. If you could purchase either one for 60% (just figuratively) of the original price, would you say either one is a better deal? Maybe one holds it's value more, less problems, or else. Please answer based on the machine alone, no consideration of job requirements or transportation.

Secondly, can either be safely towed with a 1-ton or will it require a heavy hauler?

Third when it comes to working the machine, can you charge an hourly rate that is almost directly proportional to the machines value? Will one tend to pay for itself faster than the other?

Lastly, the 450 would limit the job size, but would you ever find yourself too big with the 650 for small jobs? Seems like the 650 could do the small jobs of the 450 and the bigger jobs.

I appreciate any input or ideas.

Deere makes good small & midrange tractors.450 & 650 fall in this category.You need more than a one ton to safely haul either tractor.The hourly rate depends on what other operators are charging in your area for the same size tractor.I would say the 650 could do most of the small jobs of the 450, And still have some size for bigger jobs.Best regards rutwad,they are both good tractors.

Last edited:

panic button

Do you know if Alabamian's have to run a weight tag (ie.- X1 or X2) if they claim "Farm"?

Does this also eliminate the need for DOT stickers, truck inspection, medical card, CDL, etc?

THANKS!

§ 32-9-26. Farm trailers.
Any provision of any other law of the provision of any administrative rule, regulation, or order to the contrary notwithstanding, it shall be lawful for any farmer, custom picker, or husbandman to operate a two to eight-wheel, one to four-axle trailer on the highways of this state if the trailer is being used exclusively for the purpose of transporting to and from a farm agricultural commodities or products and for agricultural purposes relating to the operation and maintenance of a farm; provided, that the combined weight of the trailer and its load is not in the excess of 36,000 pounds, nor more than 10,000 pounds per axle, whichever is less.

§ 32-9-27. Farm trailers; size; equipment.
All such trailers as described in Section 32-9-26 shall be equipped with red reflectors to adequately illuminate the rear of such trailer by placing at least two on the rear and one at each side. No such trailer shall be in excess of 10 feet in width, except that such trailer shall not exceed 102 inches in width when operated or moved on the interstate highway system, and no such trailer, drawbar, or other connection, including the vehicle towing such trailer, shall be in excess of overall length of 76 feet. Overhang of round bales of hay on such trailer shall not exceed one foot per side except that the width of the trailer, including overhang, shall not exceed 102 inches when operated or moved on the interstate highway system. At no time shall there be more than one loaded trailer towed by any vehicle; provided, that two empty farm wagons or trailers with two or more wheels may be towed in tandem when the overall length of the towing vehicle and its tow does not exceed 76 feet altogether.

rutwad

§ 32-9-26. Farm trailers.
Any provision of any other law of the provision of any administrative rule, regulation, or order to the contrary notwithstanding, it shall be lawful for any farmer, custom picker, or husbandman to operate a two to eight-wheel, one to four-axle trailer on the highways of this state if the trailer is being used exclusively for the purpose of transporting to and from a farm agricultural commodities or products and for agricultural purposes relating to the operation and maintenance of a farm; provided, that the combined weight of the trailer and its load is not in the excess of 36,000 pounds, nor more than 10,000 pounds per axle, whichever is less.

§ 32-9-27. Farm trailers; size; equipment.
All such trailers as described in Section 32-9-26 shall be equipped with red reflectors to adequately illuminate the rear of such trailer by placing at least two on the rear and one at each side. No such trailer shall be in excess of 10 feet in width, except that such trailer shall not exceed 102 inches in width when operated or moved on the interstate highway system, and no such trailer, drawbar, or other connection, including the vehicle towing such trailer, shall be in excess of overall length of 76 feet. Overhang of round bales of hay on such trailer shall not exceed one foot per side except that the width of the trailer, including overhang, shall not exceed 102 inches when operated or moved on the interstate highway system. At no time shall there be more than one loaded trailer towed by any vehicle; provided, that two empty farm wagons or trailers with two or more wheels may be towed in tandem when the overall length of the towing vehicle and its tow does not exceed 76 feet altogether.

Thanks!

KY Jim

Occupation
Heavy Equipment hauler, Dozer operator
G-model is lever steer, the H-and J-models are Full Hydrostatic(joystick steering).
KY Jim