• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 450 or 650?? First Dozer

rutwad

Just trying to do some research before I make any purchase. If you were looking at a JD 450 and 650, both approx. 6 years old, both 2400 hours, equivelent wear, etc- basically identical other than size. If you could purchase either one for 60% (just figuratively) of the original price, would you say either one is a better deal? Maybe one holds it's value more, less problems, or else. Please answer based on the machine alone, no consideration of job requirements or transportation.

Secondly, can either be safely towed with a 1-ton or will it require a heavy hauler?

Third when it comes to working the machine, can you charge an hourly rate that is almost directly proportional to the machines value? Will one tend to pay for itself faster than the other?

Lastly, the 450 would limit the job size, but would you ever find yourself too big with the 650 for small jobs? Seems like the 650 could do the small jobs of the 450 and the bigger jobs.

I appreciate any input or ideas.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Towing either of them with a 1 ton truck is not recommended, let alone legal.

I've run both a 650 and 450 of various series (G, H, J) and prefer the 650 if tight areas aren't an issue. Even then, the 650 isn't significantly larger than a 450 to the point that you couldn't get it into the same places. However, if I was grading around houses all day, a 450 would more than fit the bill. For everything else, a 650 just plain has more juice and more weight that will allow you to push more material than a 450.

Thinktank.ws

New company idea

There is not a thread for this next question I pose. Is there now or has there been a company that coordinates rental of heavy equipment between companies that are not in business to rent?

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Dozer Prices

Just trying to do some research before I make any purchase. If you were looking at a JD 450 and 650, both approx. 6 years old, both 2400 hours, equivelent wear, etc- basically identical other than size. If you could purchase either one for 60% (just figuratively) of the original price, would you say either one is a better deal? Maybe one holds it's value more, less problems, or else. Please answer based on the machine alone, no consideration of job requirements or transportation.

Secondly, can either be safely towed with a 1-ton or will it require a heavy hauler?

Third when it comes to working the machine, can you charge an hourly rate that is almost directly proportional to the machines value? Will one tend to pay for itself faster than the other?

Lastly, the 450 would limit the job size, but would you ever find yourself too big with the 650 for small jobs? Seems like the 650 could do the small jobs of the 450 and the bigger jobs.

I appreciate any input or ideas.

I would be thinking low 40's for an 02 or 03 650H 2400hrs With a cab.

The Under Carriage also plays a big part of a Machines Value. 2400 Hrs in some parts of the World don't equal 2400 Hrs in another part of the World. Just something to think about.

I have sold 3 Dozers so far this year and here's the prices I got. Just something to compare to.

1) Cat D4H LGP "HI-Track" 1991 Model 6800 hrs 80%+ undercarriage $30,000.00 Delivered

2) D39 Komatsu 2001 Model 5552 Hrs Same as 650 JD
WholeSale Mid Twenties.

3) D37 Komatsu 2003 Model Under 2000 Hrs Same as 550 JD Delivered Under $30,000.00

I have moved all those locally with a One Ton Truck and a Gooseneck with Tandum Duals.

I would go with the bigger dozer also.
Just my 2 Cents.

Hope that Helps

Last edited:

EddieWalker

Towing either of them with a 1 ton truck is not recommended, let alone legal.

Different places, different laws. I can't speak for anywhere but here, but hauling a JD 450 with a one ton truck is done all the time. My neighbor has a guy that does allot of work for him that hauls a D4C with his one ton Chevy truck. From what I'm told, the advantage to those small dozer's is that you can haul them around with a pickup truck, get some work done and be out of there without any big hauling issues. Same thing with a backhoe. The dealers deliver them with one ton's.

Eddie

surfer-joe

I agree with the others, the 650 fer sure. Not much difference in size, put a lot more push and I think they are more comfortable to operate.

580bruce

Choose the one that will fit your wallet.I think moving a LGP high track 4 with a one-ton is NUTS!

Reuben

The two machines are on the same chassis. the 650 has one more bottom roller then the 450 and is only a few INCHES longer then the 450. The 650 weighs approx a ton more then the 450. i would def say buy a 650 if you could. I will say I notice NOTHING different between running our 550 v's the 650.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Deere 450 or 650?? First Dozer:

Just trying to do some research before I make any purchase. Please answer based on the machine alone, no consideration of job requirements or transportation.
Would these be the J model rutwad?

And both have 6-way blades?

Rippers on the back?

If so... definitely go for the 650... IMO

Unless, you could find a good 750... ;)

OCR... :)

P.S. I put over 4,500 hours on the original undercarriage, on our 750c... and it still had some life left.

It was a SALT track, and I had a few dry bushings... and the rollers were showing some pretty good wear too.

Since I use it on fires, I didn't want to take any chances... so I went ahead and replaced it... with a Cat SALT undercarriage... lol

Here's a link to that thread rutwad.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=8957

Last edited:

rutwad

Just a hypothetical. I haven't located my purchase yet. Thought I would have my research done before I looked. But I am sure I will have more questions once I find one.

And both have 6-way blades? Yes,

Rippers on the back? No need, but it may just happen to.

Unless, you could find a good 750... ;) That would definitely call for a bigger truck!

Reuben

Just a hypothetical. I haven't located my purchase yet. Thought I would have my research done before I looked. But I am sure I will have more questions once I find one.

And both have 6-way blades? Yes,

Rippers on the back? No need, but it may just happen to.

Unless, you could find a good 750... ;) That would definitely call for a bigger truck!

IT WOULD BE CRAZY NOT TO USE A BIGGER TRUCK ANYWAY...you are asking for trouble using a one ton.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Shock Value

Choose the one that will fit your wallet.I think moving a LGP high track 4 with a one-ton is NUTS!

lol. It's pretty flat around here with some hills. If I lived in WA. I wouldn't even consider it. :drinkup

KY Jim

Occupation
Heavy Equipment hauler, Dozer operator
Get the 650. A dump truck with a tandem utility trailer or a medium-duty rollback will move it. Also, everyone loves the 450's as they are the most popular size, especially for small-scale Logging. They will have had a HARD life. 650parts not that much more expensive. Plus, 650 does SO much more. G-models EXCELLENT little machines.
KY Jim
650 John Deere Man

rutwad

Sounds like 650 all the way. Any major differences between the G, H, or J? Of course the year model, but any ones preferred, or any to stay away from.

Thanks!

EddieWalker

The G model is what I ran, and the only one I can speak for. It was all levers and clutches. My Case is hydrostatic drive and allot easier to operate. Each letter change means a redesign or major improvement from the previous letter model. They may keep the letter for several years. The J would be the newest model and the most expensive. It will be the easiest to operate too. If you can find a low hour machine, that's the biggest thing. Then it's what you want for controls and features.

If you are leaning towards the 650, then compare it to similar sized machines of the same weight and power. Sometimes you can find a deal out there, but keep your options open to another brand if one comes up. Just be sure you have a dealer close by to buy parts from and go to for advice on how to fix or trouble shoot a problem. Both my Case and New Holland Dealers have been awesome about printing out pages of manuals for me. They have given me older manuals and parts books too. I can't speak for the other brands around here, but good service is more important then the brand if machine that you buy.

Good luck,
Eddie

special tool

Not reccommended, that is debatable, that weight range is done everyday around here

How is it illegal?

It is very illegal.
The king of the towing hill right now is the Ford Super Duty F350.
It can tow 17,000 pounds.

My JD 450 weighs (coincidentally) 17,000 pounds.
Now you need a trailor.

A one ton truck CANNOT haul a 450.
Oh....you can do it, but if you flatten a family of 4, you are probably going to Rikers for negligent homicide, or something like that.
Then, the rest of ALL of us suffer incrimentally higher insurance rates.;)

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I have a 450c deere trackloader w/ backhoe or winch. Bare weight of machine is 17k + weight kit + fuel + 2 backhoe buckets + dirt & other stuff... I'm looking for a 12 - 15 ton lowboy and the heaviest single axle dumptruck to pull it. With the weight of the trailer I'm told I need a truck rating like 36k.

While a pickup does have the horse power to pull the load it doesn't have the weight or brakes to stop it. Don't believe the toyota adds...

With the modern lawyer craze being are you injured... we will make it someone else's fault, I would not be giving anyone ammo to sue you with, let alone dot reckless endangerment or negligent manslaughter charges...

YOU NEED A CDL SIZED TRUCK TO HAUL A 450