• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

debris in filter

foss

Hey guys, Steve (Foss) here. I have a very puzzling issue with a Cat 225LC excavator that my son bought recently. While operating the machine a couple weeks ago, I noticed that it seemed down on power a bit and was making a "squawking" noise as if it was low on hydraulic fluid. However, the fluid was not low when I checked it. So we thought maybe the filter was blocked not allowing enough fluid through so we pulled the filters out and were shocked to find debris laying in the bottom of the filter cavity. The debris contained pieces of an external snap ring and what appeared to be pieces of a seal and maybe pieces of some type of sealing ring, as you would expect to come from a cylinder . So, the search began to find out where the debris came from. So, we pulled the two main pumps and are having them rebuilt ( since there was some damage/wear to them) but found that there are no snap rings in the pumps. Next we pulled the two hydraulic drive motors and found them to be in great shape (and finding that the only snap rings in them were internal and couldn't have been the source, besides they were fine). The valves in the hydraulic system have no snap rings that we know of, and if they did surely they wouldn't be as large as the one the pieces came from(2 1/2"dia. approx.). The final drives aren't part of the hydraulic system so the debris couldn't have come from there. About the only thing we haven't checked are the brakes, which are located between the drive motors and the final drive units. Also the swing motor appears to be the same motor as the drive/travel motors, which, as I said, don't have external snap rings in them. I would appreciate any input anyone might have that might shed light on where this stuff came from. The bill for the pump rebuild is about $5,000, and I hate to put them back in a system that we aren't sure about. Thanks for any help. Steve

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Cylinders likely have big snap rings in them.

A 225LC is an old machine. The debris may have been in the filter housing for a long time. Maybe past failure?

foss

Thanks for the replies. I have already thought about the possibility of the debris being from a previous failure, and that is entirely possible. Just trying to cover all the possibilities before putting the rebuilt pumps back on. I will see if I can attach the pics of the debris. All the cylinders seem to be functioning properly with minimal leaks for a machine this old. We just got this machine to do some projects on our property and it is a stout old workhorse and has done a great job for us, except for having to rebuild both track adjusters. That was a job! Please let me know if the pics tell you anything. Regards, Foss

Attachments

• IMG951433.jpg
    IMG951433.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG951432.jpg
    IMG951432.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG951431.jpg
    IMG951431.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 33