• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8T just turned 10000 hours

awful knawful

March 8/ 2019 delivery
June 17/2020 it hit 10000 hours
Chips/ pulp mill

Attachments

• IMG_20190308_115542.jpg
    IMG_20190308_115542.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20200617_041951.jpg
    IMG_20200617_041951.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20200626_084406.jpg
    IMG_20200626_084406.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 167

dozr

Occupation
excaving
the worst is yet to come happy running i have always said for every hour you run there is at least and hour of working on them, and today with all the crap on new ones i had would like to do that than trade. least we know they will get to this number of hours.m2c

awful knawful

Yeah we'll get 25 - 30000 hours. I believe it's a lease this time, 30 months?

Few issues either sensors, emissions or ac related.

Best one, pre emissions, burnt on us. It would be worn out anyways by now.

Attachments

• IMG_1726_zps7541a80d.JPG
    IMG_1726_zps7541a80d.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1728_zps0179deec.JPG
    IMG_1728_zps0179deec.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1724_zps5b0c5aec.JPG
    IMG_1724_zps5b0c5aec.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 143

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Fire suppression installed and it still burned? I had one down here do that also. Did you find out cause on yours? The one here was hydraulic hose or fitting failure.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Critical hoses can now be assembled with an external burst protection sleeve that (somewhat) mitigates the high pressure stream of oil from a leaking or burst hose. All our tractors have the hydraulic hoses that run through the engine compartment fitted with it.

Reactions: DB2

John C.

Occupation
The issue when the tractor that I dealt with burned was that a steering hose failed at the interface of the hose and the fitting while the machine was sitting with no operator in it and was idling away. Basically the machine was used five minutes at a time and then left running for up to three quarters of an hour with no one in the cab. How do we know what happened. Because I pulled the product link file and found a loss of steering pressure. The fault showed for approximately 5 minutes and then all the electrical system went dead. The hose that failed was the outlet from the steering pump and it shot a fine spray over to the bottom of the cab floor plate and onto a bunch of electrical connections. It was at night and no one saw the smoke. I was told the operator came out and saw the machine wasn't running and then hit the suppression system. The fire was mostly already out because the oil stopped misting when the engine died and the hydraulic tank was nearly out of fuel. The machine was rebuilt and put back into service about two months later.

Welder Dave

A hydraulic leak caused a fire and took out the 30,000,000lb., 180yd. Captain shovel. Repairs estimated over 1 million and no guarantee's it would work as it did before.

Nige

The issue when the tractor that I dealt with burned was that a steering hose failed at the interface of the hose and the fitting while the machine was sitting with no operator in it and was idling away. Basically the machine was used five minutes at a time and then left running for up to three quarters of an hour with no one in the cab. How do we know what happened. Because I pulled the product link file and found a loss of steering pressure. The fault showed for approximately 5 minutes and then all the electrical system went dead. The hose that failed was the outlet from the steering pump and it shot a fine spray over to the bottom of the cab floor plate and onto a bunch of electrical connections. It was at night and no one saw the smoke. I was told the operator came out and saw the machine wasn't running and then hit the suppression system. The fire was mostly already out because the oil stopped misting when the engine died and the hydraulic tank was nearly out of fuel. The machine was rebuilt and put back into service about two months later.
What happened to the automatic detection.? I assume that if it was customary to leave the tractor unattended with the engine running it was equipped with it for exactly that circumstance.? If it wasn’t so equipped then all bets were off. The fire suppression system would be a paperweight.

awful knawful

Fire system went off. Many extinguishers, lots of water. Once the fuel line burned off it was too late. Couldn't get near to shut fuel off.
Sawdust gets up under there and cooks till it ignites.
Mechanic now take out floor and clean. We also just put nozzels with quick connect for air or water to clean by operators.

John C.

Occupation
I don't recall seeing any suppression system with automatic initiation. All I've had to be around required the operator to pull a pin and push a big red button.

walkerv

I don't recall seeing any suppression system with automatic initiation. All I've had to be around required the operator to pull a pin and push a big red button.
All the landfill equipment i worked on was automatic or manual. Had a wire strung all around machine if fire burned it in 2 or anything broke it it went off, the wood grinder had thermal sensors on it. Older system.

Nige

All the landfill equipment i worked on was automatic or manual. Had a wire strung all around machine if fire burned it in 2 or anything broke it it went off, the wood grinder had thermal sensors on it. Older system.
Same here. Everything we run is automatic detection & actuation. Before setting the system off the control will sound an audible warning to the operator that an abnormal heat signature has been detected. He generally has 15 seconds (I think from memory) to press a button cancelling the actuation otherwise the whole shooting match discharges. if there is a fire it gives him the same length of time to get the machine stopped, drop any raised equipment, trans in neutral, park brake on, and kill the engine before everything is submerged in a ton of white powder.

http://www.afexsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/AFEX-Mining.pdf

Nige

Sawdust gets up under there and cooks till it ignites.
Mechanic now take out floor and clean. We also just put nozzels with quick connect for air or water to clean by operators.
aka the Hell Hole. It's bad enough in our application if there is any accumulation of oil or grease under there. I can't imagine what it would be like with that compartment full of sawdust on top of a hot converter, transmission and hydraulic pumps.

awful knawful

When it caught on me, same machine same place, I smelled smoke.
I stopped and went to get out. I stepped through a wall of fire! Then I couldn't get back in machine. I set system off from outside. Saved it that time.