• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8r II Ecm?

kcdurtworks

Have a 2006 D8r ii 6yz1361. Back story we’ve recently replaced all injectors and injector harness inside valve cover l. Last week started throwing code for bad injector#3 it was in 26 minute intervals. Das done some diggin found where harness had been patched up that came out of valve cover so we replaced it anyway since it was patched up. Didn’t fix our issue. Today we had cat come out and they brought Ecm to flash it. He insisted that he had to eliminate all other options before replacing Ecm. Long story short he wanted to swap #3 and #4 injector to see if the code followed it. Well no it didn’t no we’ve lost the transmission!!! All pressures checked out so it’s not mechanical. Any thoughts? He was ohming out speed sensors when I left.

pumkinhead

my guess is power train ecm is not seeing engine speed output from engine ecm if you suspect engine ecm is going out, cats stance on ecm's is that they are rarely the problem

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Agreed on the ECM. Usually they are the last in the dagnostic line to suspect having failed. They do fail from time to time though, so not totally unknown.
Has the tech tried re-flashing the engine ECM with the appropriate software for the engine S/No.? In the past I've seen that fix all sorts of weird engine ECM issues.
What Diagnostic Codes were showing other than the one for the injector.?

kcdurtworks

Machine has 27k hrs on it. The codes I couldn’t tell you off hand. But we’d lose throttle button. For instance be clicking right along full rpm and boom fall down to 900rpm or less.

Nige

The codes I couldn’t tell you off hand.
For symptoms such as you are describing getting a list of the Active Codes is the only acceptable first step to diagnosis.
Note ACTIVE Codes, not all of them. There may be Codes on the list that were there once but are not there now, known as Logged Codes.
Simply scroll through the Codes on the CMS panel and note down every Code where the SERV CODE icon on the RH side of the Monitor Panel window is lit up.

kcdurtworks

Headed to machine now. And another fun fact the technicians computer was broke so he was using our ET yesterday. Thought that was kinda funny.

kcdurtworks

I plan on that. For sure. This guy is convinced it’s mechanical. I’ll get you the codes when I get back and part number of the main harness we changed already.

Nige

When this is all sorted it might pay you to take a look at the Click Box thread if you haven't already and read up on how to erase Logged Diagnostic Codes. You don't have to buy or build a Click Box. There are some posts on Page 3 of the thread showing how to do it with nothing more than 2 short pieces of automotive wire.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/the-famous-cat-click-box.72956/

Nige

We have click box and ET. I havnt read the thread being how we havnt had sever issues like this.
Even better. You can get the CMS Panel into Diagnostic Mode (Mode 3) with the Click Box and erase all the Logged Codes just leaving you with the Active ones.
TBH I'd try doing that first. That way you won't be overwhelmed with a long list of Codes.

kcdurtworks

Active 113 1488.06
Harnes we changed
145-3850

Nige

So you changed the main engine harness 145-3850 and also the 122-1486 injector wiring harness.?

All of those Codes above are powertrain ECM. Nothing on engine, that would start 036.
Do I understand you correctly that out of that list above 1488-06 is the only Active one.?

Nige

To list all the others.......... at some point there was a major electrical/electronic hiccup in the transmission. The current below normal is usually an open circuit somewhere. The signal issues probably the same thing, but intermittent.

671.02 - Trans Output Sensor #1 - signal erratic, intermittent, or incorrect.
673.02 - Trans Output Sensor #2 - signal erratic, intermittent, or incorrect.
691.05 - Reverse Clutch solenoid - current below normal.
692.05 - Forward Clutch solenoid - current below normal.
693.05 - 3rd Speed solenoid - current below normal.
694.05 - 2nd Speed solenoid - current below normal.
695.05 - 1st Speed solenoid - current below normal.
697.05 - Priority valve solenoid - current below normal.

Interestingly there is nothing related to a failure of communication between the engine ECM and the powertrain ECM.

Based on that I tend to agree with the tech that it is likely something mechanical.

kcdurtworks

Yesterday we’d push scrapers and run it and it would go for 26 mins then drop back down to idle then let it set for awhile then it would work again and he did a stall test and that’s when the trans issue appeared…

Nige

Do you think it could be tcm? Or harness to tcm? And what about the injector code yesterday?
The weird thing is that the injector Code is not even on the list. Not saying it wasn't there yesterday but there is no evidence of it now. It should be still there but logged provided no-one went in with ET or the Click Box and erased it.

If the problem was erratic communication between the engine & PT ECMs then there ought to be something logged in both ECMs for CID 0246 FMI02, Cat Datalink signal erratic, intermittent, or incorrect.