• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8H Leaking front main seal

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
It's a wonder that radiator was getting any air flow at all through it with that percentage of fins twisted and/or plugged with oily debris.

Not too bad, there is actually an area the size of my hand about a third of the way down on the right side you can see through! That should keep about 1/2 of one of the six cylinders cool if you don't put it under a load.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
It was pretty bad. the whole left side was pretty flat just like the little bit left to straighten at the top. It still cooled good, never ran hot. Of course if its 100 deg out I don't run it much. It definitely runs cooler the little bit I ran it the other day.

The one thing I thought was kind of dumb was that cat didn't leave any lifting points on the radiator. A little awkward to get a strap around it to lift.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Not that I could find. I was kind of surprised that there wasn't any. Cat is usually good about giving a lifting point or two.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Well I must be blind. I was looking for one on each side. ha. There is a spot in the center at front that looks like it could have had a bolt hole but was solid. must have cork or something filling it.:beatsme

Next time maybe I will find it.(hopefully not for a long time)

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I hated that stuff. It left the threads all rusted and the cork stuck in there like it was glued. Taps would get stuck and break off if you had a Magilla turning the wrench.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
up date on the D8. I have put 15 or so hours on it with no problems.:thumbsup so case closed. lol

Thanks again for the help guys.