• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7E conundrum

pf/l

Occupation
Farmer/logger/heavy equipment op.
Has anyone here ever dealt with products from a company called American crane and tractor? The company in Florida can’t get a cooler through CTP either but has one available from a company called act which I believe stands for the above mentioned company. I’m always a little scared of some of the lesser known aftermarket companies but it’s looking like I don’t have much for options unless I want to spend 3,000 from cat.

https://www.actparts.com/

pf/l

Occupation
Have you tried Korpan tractor Saskatoon? They sometimes are good at some of the older stuff.
Yes that was my first call. Was talking with Garth this morning again just to check again in case something else came across his desk. They’re somewhat local to me and I’ve dealt with them for quite a few years. Pro-Line diesel could get one from Spain that was the only other option in Saskatchewan. Spence equipment never called me back again. Another company from Ontario could get one from Europe as well but that’s the only other place in Canada that has been able to say yes we can get one that I’ve talked to.

pf/l

Occupation
I have a industrial radiator shop here that can get oil coolers so if you have one near you give them a shout.
Bob

when I had the cooler into him I mentioned possibly getting one from him after. He suggested I just go online and get one. Didn’t really offer up any options to order one at all.

I think that American crane and tractor have deal with Italian company called GB Group or CGR parts
Those coolers may be CGR parts https://www.ghinassi.com/CATALOGHI/oil_coolers/

They do seem like a pretty big company. Just surprised I haven’t heard more about them over the years. All of act’s hydraulic pumps or pump components come from them from what I could gather. They didn’t mention the coolers but it could very well be them too.

pf/l

Occupation
Well lots of time has passed since my last post. Finally got my parts today. Been 4 weeks now since they were officially mailed. Hopefully get it all back together and out of the shop pretty soon now. Have a few parts at finning that I have to pick up tomorrow maybe then get started on reassembly. One thing I didn’t realize was the water pressure gauge isn’t pressure fed. It’s like a water temp with a gas inside that expands. I don’t have a fitting for it yet so may just cap it off for the time being.

Attachments

• 43868ACA-10F9-4775-BB46-A62CF9280DC9.jpeg
    43868ACA-10F9-4775-BB46-A62CF9280DC9.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 26

56wrench

As far as i know, the water pressure gauge is a normal gauge connected to the rad with copper tubing. The only gauges i've seen with a sealed sensing bulb and non-serviceable line are mechanical temp gauges unless there are some i'm not aware of.

pf/l

Occupation
It’s the correct gauge going by the parts book. 3s4131 which subs up to 8s4914 according to the cat site. It’s very reminiscent of a temp gauge only there’s no sender on the end of it. Fitting that goes into the rad appears to maybe be a ferrule fitting but not certain. Pic only showed the one end. It appears the copper line is crimped off that’s why I assume there’s some type of gas in there. 8A4A0BA4-79BD-409C-A0D8-7A5BBEA32896.jpegC9AE72ED-BF1D-4DD6-9885-4C7DC7EE9F69.pngA1BDA315-3A02-4259-8C02-5BD3C59F23FE.jpeg

56wrench

Maybe its crimped to keep dirt out. Does the end on the gauge have a compression fitting? When i redid mine on my 46a i just used copper tubing and ran it inside 1/4" air brake line to protect it

pf/l

Occupation
It’s a sealed connection protected with rubber. When I looked at the pics of the gauges online I was a bit confused so I didn’t order any more fittings till I got the gauge. The fitting is available from cat. It does have a compression fitting on it. Slight chance I can find it somewhere else but matching up to the wire size might be a issue. Haven’t measured it. First priority is to get the rest of it back together anyways and go from there.

pf/l

Occupation
Managed to track down a compression fitting at my local agco dealer. Had one I’m stock. No one else close by had one. Matches up with the specs I found online and does seem to fit the rubber wrap over the copper tube. Started putting things back together so hopefully have it done in the next little bit. Only hold back at the moment might be the sun zero weather. I’d like to take it outside to get it heated up good when I flush everything. Little hard to do with water when it’s -30 out. 90B270A1-A660-42BE-B49D-F9408ABA6D7D.jpeg10600075-827A-4D29-BA9F-1CE814F08D42.jpeg

56wrench

Well, i learned something new today. I checked the parts book for my 46a and it also lists the 3S4131 gauge assembly. I wonder if its made that way as a sealed unit otherwise rust, etc would plug up an ordinary copper tube or the gauge, especially when in the old days, guys would just use any old ditch water to dump in the rad if they had to

pf/l

Occupation
Well, i learned something new today. I checked the parts book for my 46a and it also lists the 3S4131 gauge assembly. I wonder if its made that way as a sealed unit otherwise rust, etc would plug up an ordinary copper tube or the gauge, especially when in the old days, guys would just use any old ditch water to dump in the rad if they had to

I would expect that definitely has something to do with it. Possibly because of how sticky antifreeze can be as well. I don’t have the proper water temp gauge on mine to correlate with the water pressure gauge but it’ll give a idea if something isn’t correct anyways. Just waiting on the shop to warm back up this morning and I’ll go back to work again. -20°F this morning outside. No wind at least.

pf/l

Occupation
Sometimes a water pressure gauge causes more problems than it’s worth[/QUOTE

I’ve read where others have mentioned throwing it in the bush as well. I though with the overheat issue I had when the coolant drained out it wouldn’t be a bad ideas to have a working gauge for a little bit anyways just to monitor things. It had one originally but was unhooked when I got the dozer. The line where it goes into the upper tank was never capped off though so it didn’t actually pressurize the cooling system and if you got on a good incline would leak out a bit of coolant. Just trying to address as many issues as I can while it’s all apart.

pf/l

Occupation
Stumbling my way through the repair process and kind of inbetween tear downs and repairs as you guys know from my previous posts. I picked up fittings to pressure test the cooling system yesterday before I put coolant back in. Turns out it doesn’t hold. Did a intial test last night and found a pioneer coupler leaking for my engine heater. Brought some soapy water up this morning to see if I could find any other leaks. The thermostat housing has the biggest leak and it’s not big enough to compensate for the air loss I don’t think. Lost a pound or so over about 5 minutes. The new oil cooler flange has a very tiny leak as well. More air I put in the quicker tge whole system leaks down. Debating now if I should pull the heads to inspect. Kind of know the answer already I’m afraid but thought I’d check in and see what your thoughts were about the precombustion chambers. My thought there was if they were indeed leaking it would likely show up externally past the o-rings and not past the copper sealing ring at the bottom.

I’m not the worlds worst mechanic but to be honest I’m getting a little sick of this thing in the shop. Between waiting on parts, finding other issues and the difficulty of finding parts it’s starting to wear on me. Yes I know I sound like a whiny millennial lol. It’s all part of owning older iron I know but it does wear on a guy after a little while.