• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6R v/s 750J

tommy1984

I am in the market for a dozer for work on our own land and have found good deals on the 2 mentioned machines. Both have 3,000 and some odd hours and both are under 50k. Now my instinct tells me to go with the cat but people tell me that the deere will stick to and work on steep ground much better. The land I live on is very steep in far eastern ky and had alot of rock and sand stone I have to break out. I will be clearing brush building roads and making flats through out our 70 acres. I also have a deere 490E excavator Ill be working with it. resale value is of no concern to me. I like the joy stick steering the deer has and some one said that the D6 and down cats have the same steering joystick is this true? witch dozer sounds best for my needs? Ill be purchaseing in the next 2 weeks.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
The D6 is more than likely a DiffSteer machine, it will turn by rotating the handle. I dont know if you can buy a lever steer D6R ??

I would buy Cat, it's a no-brainer for us as we dont have a good dealer support for anything else, and besides that.....it's a CaT how can you go wrong?

Pj

YELLOMTLMILITIA

Those are two different classes of machines. the deere is more comparable to a D6M or N model. ones hydrostatic and one has a torque conveter and a powershift transmission with a differential steer motor. Your going to get alot more work done with a 6R due just to size and power. check the conditon of your undecarriage really well. that can be an easy deal breaker on a dozer.

tommy1984

So none of the d6 models have hydrostatic steering? I am pretty sure they have 6-way blades right? At least the one i looked at liiks like it does.

willd8r

Occupation
dozer operator Cat D11R
Blades are options, you can get straight, semi u, angle or PAPT [6 way] on D6H,R,M,N models.The D6R XL diff steer I believe is the most stable machine on hills in all directions and it feels stable. They are reliable,fuel efficient easy to maintain parts service etc always good. I hate those 6 way blades as rocks always roll around under the tracks They are either Diff steer or finger tip steering. I would of clocked around 20,000 hrs on D6's most on hill country

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
a 6M,N is going to be lighter than a 6R,H. XL stands for Extra Long, and XW stands for Extra Wide both are talking about undercarriage.

6R is 45k and almost 200hp RITHCIE SPEC

the 750 is 32k lb and 145 HP RITCHIE SPEC

you can see that the 6N 145 hp and 34k. Is more comparable to the Deere than the 6R is

Pj

YELLOMTLMILITIA

So none of the d6 models have hydrostatic steering? I am pretty sure they have 6-way blades right? At least the one i looked at liiks like it does.

the cat does have hydrostatic steering in a sense, the D6R uses the implement pump to run a hydraulic motor that has has pinion gear that is attached to a ring gear that is attached to a differential component that steers the machine by speedig up one track up to 50% faster than the other track. http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWcfast forward to 2:10

willd8r

Occupation
dozer operator Cat D11R
I have spent abit of time on a 6N I find them a bit gutless and a bit light up front compaired to to the likes of the 140hp D6C,D miles better than JD I guess they designed for lighter work pushing out behind 30 ton dumper etc more of an uprated D5

tommy1984

Does the 750 sound large enough to do what I want? I have rented deere 650's several times and really like the pilot controls for the steering, It just didn't have enough hind end behind it to break out the sand stone. But it only weighs 20k where a 750 weighs 32k. your thought?

sultan

Does the 750 sound large enough to do what I want? I have rented deere 650's several times and really like the pilot controls for the steering, It just didn't have enough hind end behind it to break out the sand stone. But it only weighs 20k where a 750 weighs 32k. your thought?

For land clearing, you'd want as much pushing power as possible, so I'd recommend the D6R over the 750. For ripping sandstone, the 750 might do but the D6R would be much better again.

The D6Rs have diff steer and turn smoothly and effortlessly just like hydrostatic machines, but they have a torque converter/powershift transmission that is more durable and would outlast a hydrostatic drive.

dieseldave

"people tell me that the deere will stick to and work on steep ground much better." That's the truth. We run 850's and D6R's and T's side by side on some pretty steep slopes and the 850 is a more nimble machine, much more confidence-inspiring on steep terrain. The center of gravity is lower and the hydrostatic system makes it much more manuverable that the diff steer IMHO. But, you might need the weight and hp of the 6R to break up the rock, so...

SE-Ia Cowman

I am a cat man but we also have 2 john deeres. I would choose a cat over a deere any day, But that being said a 6R for 50K would be on the low end and a 750c would be more on the middle to high end for 50k I looked at machinery trader a plain D6R average acution is $70900 and average askeing is about $114000 this is a strait 6r not a sireis 2 or 3 and not a xl or xw. The deere average auction is $26000 and average askeing is $51000 again a plain 750 c. Not taken into acount were wether they had cab or not or what blade they had or haveing a ripper or not. I do like the deere on steep ground as they will not role when shifting to forward or reverse and in tight places you can counter rotate the tracks if you need to but keep in mind this can shorten the life of th uc. I dont like 6 way blades for anything but finish work they wont hold up well for any clearing work and wont work well for grubing out rocks. You are not comparing apples to apples the cat is hands down a way bigger machine and probably better souted for your needs But also bigger machines cost more to work on. Good luck

SE-Ia Cowman

Sorry I was looking at 750 C and you are looking at 750j the average auction for the j is $74000 and askeing is $136000 3000 hrs is not a lot of hours on either machine it looks like the price is well below average auction on both machines I would look very closely at both and take a mechanic with you 50k is a lot to spend and you could spend another 50k on either machine with a major engine and transmission problem.

willd8r

Occupation
dozer operator Cat D11R
You have the right thinking don't let anyone change it Cat is Caterpillar the makers of the D6R.

tommy1984

I forgot to mention the 750j is an LPG the wider tracks mean far more traction right?

SE-Ia Cowman

Yes far more traction in wet soft conditions but less traction in hard rocky conditions and way shorter uc life we have a 750cll with a little over 4000 hrs and the uc is on run out a new berco uc was around $9500. If you look at dozers out west where there is a lot of rock notice they usualy have 22'' or 24'' shoes. Usualy a machine with 24''s will get 5 to 6k on the uc depending on the size. We got a 7R this summer with 3100 hrs and cat uc measurment was 60% remaining.

YELLOMTLMILITIA

unless you work in a swampy area stay the hell away from LGP.. wider track means more leverage being imposed on the rails which means more twisting, dry joints and short undercarraige life especially on hard rough terrain.

nilzlofgren

If you have steep slopes, and need to push sideways on them, the 750 will be your best bet. The elevated sprocket, and the higher center of gravity of the 6R, will be an issue if you have to push sideways across a slope. They can become unstable and tip. Did you look into a D6K? You get a conventional undercarriage, VPAT, and LGP.

willd8r

Occupation
dozer operator Cat D11R
No that is wrong and misleading the D6H/R has a lower center gravity the sprockets are higher every other component is lower I had a early D6H the first year I worked with a D6D stick raking in forestry cut over on very steep hill country clambering over stumps dropping onto tracks,extreme work There is no comparison the 6H is more stable sideways it will out climb out back out push and out last all the other D6's and other brands It never ran hot like the others, a brilliant will balance machine capable of hard work. Cheers

nilzlofgren

No that is wrong and misleading the D6H/R has a lower center gravity the sprockets are higher every other component is lower I had a early D6H the first year I worked with a D6D stick raking in forestry cut over on very steep hill country clambering over stumps dropping onto tracks,extreme work There is no comparison the 6H is more stable sideways it will out climb out back out push and out last all the other D6's and other brands It never ran hot like the others, a brilliant will balance machine capable of hard work. Cheers
Well sir, I believe we will just have to agree to disagree. I've never seen a dozer with a conventional undercarriage on its side, due to rolling over, but have seen more than a few elevated sprocket machines belly up.