• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6N stopping

KWhauling

Just make sure you drain the transmission oil before you pull the end cover off ............
Is it possible that it could be priority valve I have a mechanic saying to check that first before pulling the screen I'm really getting confused thanks again

BigWrench55

Where were the pressure readings taken from?
You will need to take pressure readings from the transmission, park brake, service brake, and steering service ports. You will need at least two gauges so that you can get a better idea of what is going on. Three gauges would be ideal. It sounds to me that the park brake is being set. There are three pressure test ports where the final drive mounts to the frame. One is park brake, another is service brake and lastly is steering. I haven't touched a cat dozer in a long time. I probably forgot more than I knew about them. Is this a high drive dozer? If it isn't then forget everything I said.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is it possible that it could be priority valve I have a mechanic saying to check that first before pulling the screen I'm really getting confused thanks again
There is always the possibility that something could be wrong with the priority valve. To eliminate that as a possibility before going any further try the test procedure (attached), and see what it throws up. Make sure to use the correct illustration for the pressure test ports on Page 1 of the document that corresponds to your particular machine Serial Number.

Attachments

• Priority Vlv T&A.pdf
    235.9 KB · Views: 9

Nige

Another thought. You say the transmission works fine in 1st speed when the system is cold. Have you had the gauge on it cold to check whether or not the pressure is the same 200psi that you mentioned earlier or if it's closer to the 370psi that you measure in 2nd/3rd speeds.?

Also to echo Paul's question can you indicate exactly where the mechanic is measuring the pressure.

Macj

IIRC the priority valve is on the left hand side of the TC casing, quite simple to pull off but watch the "o" rings. If the spring is old it may need the shims checked. I think Nige has the schematic and pictures to help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211201-171523_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211201-171523_Samsung Internet.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 12

KWhauling

Obviously sealing just enough to hold pressure when the oil was cold but not once it warmed up. Glad you got it fixed, pulling transmissions is always a PITA especially if you don’t find anything.
I want to especially thank you you where very helpful we have it torn down parts are expected today and reassembly on Monday I'll post an update when completed thanks again

Nige

I hope you are: -
1. Replacing the piston seals in all 5 clutches.
2. Replacing the friction discs/plates in the forward clutch in addition to the 1st speed clutch (they are the two clutches that siuffer the most abuse)

Here are the specs for the transmission clutches. Probably best to look at all of them while it is out of the machine.

Attachments

• RENR5239-01.pdf
    200.8 KB · Views: 11