• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6N head scratcher

.RC.

Looks like it is just disintegrating. Is my memory correct by remembering some years ago Cat used some "environmentally sustainable" style wire insulation that ended up breaking down prematurely?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It could be cooking, oil contamination, or a combination of both causing this type of effect on harnesses, but I've also heard of harness insulation flaking (mostly on excavators) around a similar time frame to the manufacture of this machine which was down to a change of insulation material.

On the excavators there was factory support to replace harnesses where the insulation had cracked or flaked off but the programs expired long ago. The Problem Statement read- "The existing wiring harness insulation can crumble and flake apart. This may cause short or open circuits, generate Fault Codes, or other electrical issues."

All goes to show that there is nothing to beat keeping machines clean...!!

TVA

:eek: YIKES!! Good luck with that! I'm glad it's not me having to deal with it. I got enough crap as it is.
Yeah! I have stepped in it! :D
But it is what it is. Have to finish it now! :mad:.

Same on having too much crap to deal with!
As anyone who can use hands and brain at the same time, and willing to work, now days.

Last edited:

TVA

It could be cooking, oil contamination, or a combination of both causing this type of effect on harnesses, but I've also heard of harness insulation flaking (mostly on excavators) around a similar time frame to the manufacture of this machine which was down to a change of insulation material.

On the excavators there was factory support to replace harnesses where the insulation had cracked or flaked off but the programs expired long ago. The Problem Statement read- "The existing wiring harness insulation can crumble and flake apart. This may cause short or open circuits, generate Fault Codes, or other electrical issues."

All goes to show that there is nothing to beat keeping machines clean...!!
I use this phrase a lot lately: “ on the construction machines there is no unimportant leaks”.
When you have dust - every leak inadvertently will turn in to disaster!
I work on the portable screw compressors and have seen so many times where something like small leak of return fuel line that wasn’t taken care of, and series of wrong decisions - lead to machine being destroyed!

TVA

3B543807-B743-48BC-BB57-0B0EF5DE10D0.jpeg 0EB7AF44-7241-4CC0-87E1-E59B40420DED.jpeg 3B543807-B743-48BC-BB57-0B0EF5DE10D0.jpeg 0EB7AF44-7241-4CC0-87E1-E59B40420DED.jpeg 824B15DA-E257-4D44-8BF5-ED5E6CA07A6B.jpeg So, at this point I think the reason why the top of the transmission had about 2 1/2 inches of dirt/oil dried up mud on top of it, because spool seal, diagnostic quick connect on blade control valve, and port relief on ripper control valve we’re leaking for a long time, oil was running along the ripper lines on top of the transmission and mixing with dust.
The proportional brake solenoid was absolutely buried in all of that, having about 5/8 - 3/4 layer of that substance on top of it.
Not sure what’s with the piece of O-ring sticking out from underneath of the brake solenoids block, could be just drain passage - but it is still needs to be fixed.
Have a boat load of dirt cleaning to do now, before I start to open anything up.

TVA

D4EA6AE2-E4CD-4385-BD16-1A38C8F20EDD.jpeg 1570B756-FE05-4188-AA75-3A43E194A57C.jpeg What do you guys think?
Should I open up another “can of worms”?!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I think that before I had anyone working for me lay a wrench on that POS I'd tell the owner to rent a steam cleaner if he doesn't have one already and let one of his minions loose with it for at least a week. Drop the belly guards, lift the floor, & get the operator seat out of the way first obviously.
Then once it's halfway clean you might be able to see what you're doing.

TVA

I think that before I had anyone working for me lay a wrench on that POS I'd tell the owner to rent a steam cleaner if he doesn't have one already and let one of his minions loose with it for at least a week. Drop the belly guards, lift the floor, & get the operator seat out of the way first obviously.
Then once it's halfway clean you might be able to see what you're doing.
All of that ( besides steam cleaning) is already done by me.
You can’t take that picture without doing all of that plus removing transmission oil filter hoses prior.
I don’t really want to steam clean for now, because it will make a big mess, it is a lot easier to deal with that crumbly “mortar” that is mix of oil and dust with putty knife and some brushes.
It is not oily mud at this point - it is half dried up oily mud. I guess the dust overwhelmed and plugged the leaks some time ago already.

Some solenoids on that thing was located only by their pigtails sticking out from under that mud.

TVA

And looks like I am missing a bolt.
And I don’t know if this hole is straight through in to transmission housing and now I have to worry about pump strainer - or it is blind hole!

2DEC348D-C928-472C-9478-857478235D4C.jpeg 6A3E251A-73C9-4F64-8000-1127FE773D11.jpeg

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
From the picture that quick disconnect port looks like an SOS sample port because of the hole in the middle for a needle and because of the green dust cover. If it is it will probably be a 7/16 orb instead of 9/16 “
That threaded hole looks like a boss for mounting a guard or hose clamp. I wouldn’t be concerned about it leaking.

Last edited:

TVA

From the picture that quick disconnect port looks like an SOS sample port because of the hole in the middle for a needle and because of the green dust cover. If it is it will probably be a 7/16 orb instead of 9/16 “
If you talking about one that leaks - I think it is implement system test port, it is at the end of the P gallery of control valve.

TVA

But I think you’re right - it is also a sample port.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
It won’t be both. Cat has 2 different valves for that. The one with a hole in the middle won’t allow the gauge to attach.