• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6N head scratcher

TVA

First time in my life working on dozer.
Happens to be D6N.

This thing was working good, then walked 1/4 mile to next job site - now it will only start moving with slightly elevated RPM, will move for about 8 seconds and stall.
Feels like park brakes locking up.

With higher RPM stalls faster.
No leaks yet, transmission oil level was low, put two 5 gal. ( total 10 gallons) of CAT TO-4 SAE 30 in it - and it is still low.
Although if I say: “that dipstick is goofy” - that would be gross understatement. Can’t read that dipstick at all, and oil is very clean, even before add.

At one point have seen something resembling light smoke or steam coming from behind the engine area.

What do you guys think?!
Am I dealing with TQ scavenging problem, or brake electrical problem?

No S/N available at this time ( couldn’t find name plate where it was supposed to be).

TVA

How were you measuring the transmission oil level.? Engine stopped or engine running.?
Does the dipstick have a Part Number on it.?
If you can't find a S/N for the machine get one from the engine is another option.
Did it both ways, engine stopped and running. Like I said, the oil looks super clean, and that’s the main reason why I can’t definitely read the level! Dipstick is wet, but oil not dripping off of it when pulled out. But with that long and skinny tube - maybe it is normal.

Still waiting for S/N from owner pulled from his records. Don’t have engine name plate, but have transmission one: BJG02248 Ar: 188-2003

TVA

Owner wants to just keep putting oil in to the transmission. I think without evidence of leak - he is up for dealing with big mess! :D

Without leaks, even if level was low and started sucking air - 10 gallons should have taken care of the problem. Unless oil is not returning from TQ. IMO!

TVA

Based on transmission S/N the machine is ALY00993.
Pardon my ignorance: the ending of transmission arrangement number is 2003, but ALY shows 2000.
Do I get something wrong?
Or it is 2000-2003 period?

TVA

Should I put dye in the oil?:D
Ask Mystik for some of theirs?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Dye isn’t a bad idea I dye hard to read oil or if I need to chase a leak. Cat dealer has red, blue, and UV dyes.
UV is generally marketed for fuel though, or at least that's how I've always used it. I tend to stick to either red or blue for non-engine applications. 9U-5031 (red) & 9U-5032 (blue) are the Part Numbers.
Pardon my ignorance: the ending of transmission arrangement number is 2003, but ALY shows 2000.
Do I get something wrong?
Or it is 2000-2003 period?
188-2003 is the Part Number of the Transmission Arrangement, not an indication of a year.
D6N tractor Serial Number ALY00993 was built in France on 8th April 2004.
upload_2021-11-22_15-49-40.png

TVA

UV is generally marketed for fuel though, or at least that's how I've always used it. I tend to stick to either red or blue for non-engine applications. 9U-5031 (red) & 9U-5032 (blue) are the Part Numbers.
188-2003 is the Part Number of the Transmission Arrangement, not an indication of a year.
View attachment 249060
Thanks for clarification, Sir!

TVA

View attachment 249060
The only one that was available is 4861536, if it makes any sense.

TVA

What I did today, I stopped by the machine and stuck the dipstick through the filler tube, because i figured that dipstick tube was wiping and smearing oil on dipstick itself.

Through filler tube it shows little bit higher then full, with engine not running ( didn’t have keys on me) and after owner dumped two more buckets of oil in it yesterday. But problem still persists!

I still have suspicion that either oil doesn’t get scavenged out of TQ, or TQ leaking excessively and scavenge pump do not the capacity to pump all of it out.
Still no leaks found ( unless belly pan is stopped up shut). Owner said they will drop the belly pan tomorrow. But I have my doubts that you can put 20 gallons in the belly pan, without it showing up somewhere.

Right now exploring electric theory, owner said he was able to pull code yesterday, on Saturday monitor would not go in to diagnostic mode, no matter what how hard I tried.
But then he said he forgot that code. :D

Anyway, someone will show up with scanner today, and read the codes - that’s what he said.

Forgot to mention - today weather is cloudy, so reading the dipstick is little better.

Last edited:

TVA

Does anyone know whether device brake potentiometer can cause the service brake code, on that machine?

It gives the code for service brake switch, but behaves more like erratic value from potentiometer.

TVA

I remembered the code number yesterday, do not remember it now.
The only thing is I remember is it is “service brake pedal switch”.
That thing goofy AH, it goes in to diagnostic mode once out of like 15 tries.
Usually it will flash the “serv. Code”
and brake lamp for a second when the brake pedal is let go after depressing it, not all the time either.

When I use service brakes most of the time it stops the tractor very abruptly and jerky as soon as you touch the pedal ( way before switch is pushed, which is at the bottom of the pedal travel), and sometimes it will not stop the tractor, only slow it down to a creep when pedal is fully depressed.
Sometimes it works fine, then brakes lock up and it wouldn’t move at all.
Sometimes brake light comes on, but most of the time not.

I should be back there this afternoon, working on it again.

Did not know that angle switch can be PWM, always thought that PWM is something that ECM or amplifier generates based on analog signal. Judging by the diagram and looks of it - it is potentiometer, similar to the one that on de acceleration pedal, but different part number. But yes - the one that reads pedal position.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I remembered the code number yesterday, do not remember it now.
There are quite a few Components that are affected by the signal from the service brake switch. Here are a few options to jog your memory. (These are just the Component Identifiers, not the 2-digit Fault Indication that comes after)

Based on what you've said above my bet right now would be on the brake pedal switch needing some "adjustment", despite the fact there is allegedly no adjustment on that switch. Or is it possibly the switch sticking or the pedal pivot needs lubricating.?