• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6N Cab fire.

LilMacsInc

I run a towing company and have been hired to relocate a 2006 D6N that had a cab fire. My question is can we remove the final drive axle shaft and this machine roll freely or is there some type of parking brake that will needed to be released? All wiring/control station is burned out.

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
in the middle of the drive sprocket there is a 4-inch round circle, (on each side) pull that off and there is axle shaft you pull out and the machine will roll FREELY, put the cover back on to keep dirt out, it will have NO brake at this time anymore.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There are 3 axle shafts to remove. Attached the shaft removal procedure and instructions on how to build a shaft removal tool. The thread in the end of the shafts is M16 x 2mm pitch
You will need the tool to reach into the rear end pick the centre shaft out. You may have to nudge the tractor one way or the other in order to take the weight off the shafts so that they can be pulled out.
As mentioned above once the shafts are out the tractor is completely free to roll. Take all necessary precautions.

Attachments

• Axle Shaft Removal.pdf
    347.7 KB · Views: 17
  • SEPD0406.pdf
    184 KB · Views: 15

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
In its simplest form it's a piece of pipe with an M16 bolt welded into the end.
It can have holes in the back end for a cheater bar or similar if you have to turn the tool to get the weight off the shaft.

EDIT: See if these instructions make sense.
1. Drill a 16.5mm hole (a hair over 5/8") down the length of a 3.6"-long piece of 1-1/2" outside diameter round bar.
2. Slide the 130mm long M16 bolt through the hole in the bar and weld the head of the bolt to the bar using a 1/4" fillet weld all round.
3. Take a 4-ft length of 1-1/2" bore Sched 40 pipe. Measure back 2-3/4" from one end and drill a 1/2" hole right through it. I'd also drill a 3/4" hole right through somewhere around 2-3" from the other end (for a cheater bar if necessary).
4. Slide the adapter into the pipe leaving a hair under 1/4" of the bar sticking out of the end. Weld the adapter into the pipe using a 1/8" fillet around the end and a 5/32" plug weld in each of the two holes.

Simples..........

Last edited:

JPV

We moved our D-6N with a blown engine by just pulling the two on the finals. What is the purpose of pulling the third one, I have never heard of it?

Welder Dave

That could potentially be a good parts machine. If if is going for scrap who really cares if internals in the final drive get damaged. It makes a good case for having a decent size fire extinguisher on board but not sure if it happened while operating or was a result of vandalism or an electrical short or something when parked. After seeing that and having some wires rub through in the past, I'm going to keep an extinguisher on board. Don't normally see extinguishers on small machines doing occasional dirt work on farms and such. Sure be nice if you had a fire to catch it early.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

That would seem logical but finding someone who needs the parts could be the challenge. Along the same lines as the thread concerning leftover stores of parts, how long do you keep them for???

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
In the photo I see a fire being fed by hydraulic oil. We don't know how long it burned, the extent of the damage under the cab nor the year of manufacture of the machine.

I assessed a burned D8T some years ago that had similar photos. The machine was repaired and put back in service for about $125K and it went back out to the same customer who rented it from us for another couple of years when it was sold. The machine was a gold mine. Details of that project and the actual numbers are explained in my second book, "Determining Value" available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/~/e/B0742Q36JL

Morale of the story is that you can't assume enough information to make monetary decisions based on photographs.