• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6D final repairs

JosephG80

Hi new guy here. Name is Joe Green.

we are tackling a D6D final drive hum. I know we will need cat to come remove and install the sprocket but I was under the impression we would be able to get all the way to that sprocket without the big puller. We have the undercarriage out of the way and pivot removed but seem to be stuck at the holder. I’ve pulled the dowel from the holder top but can’t seem to get it to budge. What is the trick here? Thank you!

Dave Neubert

The holder is mounted to the dead axle have you taken the gig nut off if so you will have to pull it off the shaft. If you can get behind it and wack it it might come

JosephG80

We managed to get the silly thing off. Are we able to remove the dead axle at the point?

we are going to pull the final case tomorrow in one piece with the sprocket on the shaft. Outer bearing in the holder was in pretty poor shape. I expected that though as the drain on the final box was so plugged with metal we could not get it to drain. Have a feeling that outer bearing has been bad for some time now.

Last edited:

Vetech63

You don’t need to remove the dead axle unless it’s bent or damaged. Your entire final is built on that dead axle. I believe your next step would be to remove the sprocket nut.

JosephG80

Roger that. We have the sprocket nut broke and removed and can see the spline engagement of the sprocket.

I thought removing the dead axle would allow us more room to remove the final box intact.

we plan to take the box to CAT of Corpus Christi and have the sprocket removed.

this is our first time messing with one of these finals so we really appreciate the help.

is the dead axle one piece from side to side or is it two separate axles left and right?

Vetech63

The dead axle is tapered fit into the rear final housing and retained by a nut and lock plate. You can see that underneath the machine where the wishbone attaches. The final isn’t designed to be removed the way you are trying to do it. I’m not saying it couldn’t be done. You would be better off in my opinion to have Cat remove the sprocket for you onsite. They can have that done in less than an hour once they show up.

Vetech63

Also there is things that need to be checked before this final can go back together......dead axle run out, deformed inner taper, etc. You really should have a service manual to do this job yourself.......or have Cat check this stuff for you.

JosephG80

Service manual is on the way. Cat actually said to bring the whole unit to them for removal being that were the machine is the cost to pull the sprocket would be obscene with mileage charges.

JosephG80

I’m pretty sure the dead axle is going to be wiped out. Everything else appears to be. I’ll be getting pictures tomorrow

Vetech63

If I’m remembering correctly, the inner housing has bolts into th mainframe from the inside, which means the outer housing would need to be removed.....which requires the sprocket to be removed first. I hope I’m not telling you incorrect information as it’s been awhile since I have done one of these finals. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong and I’ll eat my crow accordingly. I hope I’m not confusing this final with another, and in turn confusing you!

Bluox

You can pull the ham case by removing the dead axle nut ,the bearing plate and the track frame bearing.
Then remove all the ham case bolts ,the bottom ones are on the back side.
On the case flange are some tapped holes to install puller bolts.
sling the whole mess with something to pick it and run the puller bolts in and it should come off in one piece.
Good luck
Bob

JosephG80

You can pull the ham case by removing the dead axle nut ,the bearing plate and the track frame bearing.
Then remove all the ham case bolts ,the bottom ones are on the back side.
On the case flange are some tapped holes to install puller bolts.
sling the whole mess with something to pick it and run the puller bolts in and it should come off in one piece.
Good luck
Bob
This was my observation as well. We will be pulling this dude this afternoon. Get ready to see some carnage. When I listened to this machine move 3’ I told him to shut it down. The gears were singing like a choir in there.

Tugger2

Ask your Cat guys about a lineup hub and bar for the diagonal brace on the track frames .The hub bolts into the outboard bearing bore with a shaft that slides across to the smaller bore on the wishbone .The cure for that can be discussed later. In my long ago days at the Cat dealer it seemed bent track frames went hand in hand with toasted finals.

JosephG80

Carnage

Attachments

• 0ABB4138-CE42-4635-AE0D-793BB6890364.jpeg
    0ABB4138-CE42-4635-AE0D-793BB6890364.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
  • DE6C099F-9274-4333-8AEB-BB2FC3E57D22.jpeg
    DE6C099F-9274-4333-8AEB-BB2FC3E57D22.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
  • C9CFF970-DC5F-4161-9846-CA17FBF0E075.jpeg
    C9CFF970-DC5F-4161-9846-CA17FBF0E075.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110