• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c falling out of gear, grinding

tnc110

Seems like it only happens in second gear reverse. It will pop out of gear and then you hear gears grinding , sounds like it's not fully in gear and /or in between gears. is there an adjustment that can be made or what's going on here? Power shift model. 10ek I believe.

Wes J

I don't know the answer, but it sounds more serious than an adjustment. I thought all power shift boxes were "constant mesh", meaning the gears are constantly in mesh and the shifting is done by clamping or releasing clutch packs. Some are planetary, some have multiple shafts.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Agree on starting by checking transmission filter and screens.

Seems this problem was reported in the other thread to be related to one side and not both. If that is the case I'm thinking that draining the final drives and seeing what the oil looks like in there.

I only had limited experience on dozers so hope someone with more direct knowledge can chime in on that idea.

56wrench

if this is a wide-pad d6, check to see if a bent pad has worn thru the steering clutch compartment allowing crud to get into the steering clutch compartment, causing the filter to plug. is the noise you hear actual grinding or hyd clutch chattering. i had it happen on a d6c but ther was no noise- it would just quit moving