• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6 9u The Hood In The Shop

JDOFMEMI

KoO

Great posts. Keep em comming. I love watching you make much out of little. I know quite a few people around here that could sand a lesson in such. Too bad it probably wouldn't sink in. I cant wait to see you out plowing with the old girl.:thumbsup

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
thansk jerry, i 'm even increasing the resale value of the old cat by putting quality part in it, LOL

the cat part was 20.00 buck cheaper then at the bearing store.

thansk

Attachments

• THE HOOD new bearing race feb 2 2007.jpg
    THE HOOD new bearing race feb 2 2007.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 737
Last edited:

Jeff D.

I'm with JDOFMEMI regarding being impressed with your ability to make the best of what you have at hand. Especially considering the environment you have to do this work in(temps, etc.):yup

I'd like to think I'm the same way, but I'm not brave enough to try the massive motifications you attempt (building your own sprocket), nor would I hold very long working in that type of cold.:spaz

It looks real good KoO!:thumbsup

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I found you a little blast from the past KoO. Now I don't see any snow in the pic but maybe you can decide whether its authentic or not. Looks kinda homemade to me. The inscription underneath says the following:

AC WWII SNOWCAT, JEEP CHASSIS, IN BURNS, OR "STEAMUP"
Snow Cat.jpg
link

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
fianlly back working on THE HOOD, been doing a little bit here and there and today we dragged the track over the new wooden top rollers, LOL

test drive soon, i hope

thansk

Attachments

• THE HOOD tracks march 5 2007 002.jpg
    THE HOOD tracks march 5 2007 002.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 549

JDOFMEMI

Koo
Nearly a month off, we were getting worried about you. Thought maybe you got stranded like a polar bear on melting ice. Did you get enough cold weather to do any freighting yet?

Good to hear from you

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
thansk, in the month i have been doing little things to the cat and didn't take pictures. the ice is good for freighting but no customers. thelodges are hurting big time. oh well

we have some people that want to come out on the cat train tours but southern belles health is acting up again.

next year will be better.

thansk

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
well it was a good day in the KINGDOM, got the tracks tightened up and the master pin welded. i used the threaded rod to pull it together and used a track pad to make sure the bolt holes line up.
i did up hand weld to seal the master pin. this will do for miles of winter freighting.

thansk

Attachments

• THE HOOD tracks march 6 2007 004.jpg
    THE HOOD tracks march 6 2007 004.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 525
  • THE HOOD tracks march 6 2007 005.jpg
    THE HOOD tracks march 6 2007 005.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 585

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
did the test run today because i needed the shop to thaw out the water truck. i don't put the seat o until everything has been adjusted, so the small fuel tank and the 5 gallon pail are only temporary, LOL
things went well till i ran out of fuel plowing my nieghbour's yard, never thought at full throotle and pushing a full blade and blowing black smoke would eat up the little fuel tank. so i just towed THE HOOD backwards with the steering clutches tied off back to the KINGDOM. no sense playing with a bunch of fuel when i'm going to put the fuel tank back on. so tomorrow i'll finish the project. the water truck is more important, LOL

thansk

Attachments

• THE HOOD test run march 7 2007 004.jpg
    THE HOOD test run march 7 2007 004.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 653
  • THE HOOD test run march 7 2007 001.jpg
    THE HOOD test run march 7 2007 001.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 551
  • THE HOOD test run march 7 2007 002.jpg
    THE HOOD test run march 7 2007 002.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 577

wrenchbender

It's simply amazing what you have done with that thing, considering where it came from:usa

biggixxerjim, What you don't like keeping things in storage? This old Cat was in storage at Aqua Storage and Hydrating co. :D

:drinkup King, you done good and I like the temp tank idea I do that sometimes myself. It's a heck of a lot easier than mounting the tank &seat just to pull'em back off and readjust everything again. :cool2

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
yes the little fuel tank works good, it has a return line too for when on the IH td-6 and td-9s.
i like taking the cat out and working it and adusting the steering clutches and brakes when warm. when you assemble in the shop they don't feel right until you work them. once adjusted and then the seat goes on.

thansk

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
ok, now try and push a cold cat backwards in the little shop with the blade angled. it fits but not straight. couple of hours and will be back in business plowing deep snow.

thansk

Attachments

• THE HOOD back in the shop march 8 2007.jpg
    THE HOOD back in the shop march 8 2007.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 532

Jeff D.

She's getting closer to being done.

What do you run for fuel in your equipment being it's so cold up there?

Straight #1, or can you still run some #2 in it?

I'm glad to see it's coming together for you on this Cat.:notworthy

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
the fuel is #1 but the gas station here has gotten some cheap stuff and it cost a lot of time and money to get it out of the system.

takes a while to warm up, so leave it over night and then work on it in the morning, i hatewhen things drip on me, LOL

today we plow snow
thansk