• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5k2 flashing red at idle

Chased

Nige posted there’s an updated fuse box. It requires 2 new harnesses that you have to crimp a connector on each. Think it’s #8. I don’t see why you’d need anything special for it but wanted to make sure. Because if I need a $1700 crimper, I’ll just replace with the old style box! Lol

JD955SC

Nige posted there’s an updated fuse box. It requires 2 new harnesses that you have to crimp a connector on each. Think it’s #8. I don’t see why you’d need anything special for it but wanted to make sure. Because if I need a $1700 crimper, I’ll just replace with the old style box! Lol

I missed that when skimming it Finding out what kind of contacts are required to crimp would be key.

Chased

It looks like the connector is kind of a butt splice on one end that crimps on the power wire, then plugs into the harness connector.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
First up, there are two procedures on that document, one for machines with a cab, the other for machines with a canopy. The procedure applicable to the OP's machine starts right at the bottom of page 6.

It looks like the connector is kind of a butt splice on one end that crimps on the power wire, then plugs into the harness connector.
See the drawing below. To install the new Part Number of fuse block the ring terminals (marked C) have to be cut off the two large 8 SWG wires (marked B & E). Those wires are 177-OR & 178-GR that are the main power feeds into the two bus bars of the fuse box. If you recall we talked about those earlier.
upload_2021-2-9_14-15-44.png

The procedure lists 2 x 8N-1545 Sockets that have to be crimped on the the wires B & E later in the procedure. IMO any crimper suitable for wires of 8 SWG size will work. Basically what I think the prcoedure is trying to tell you is that you'll need more than just an automotive wire crimper to do the job because of the diameter of those two wires. It will need a good crimper machine though, because the last thing you want is those two joints heating up in operation as a result of bad internal contact.

Chased

So it seems replacing the box isn’t going to fix the corrosion though. The terminals aren’t part of the box, but they’re attached to the wires individually, right? So the terminals are what really need replaced. Maybe the box too because it apparently doesn’t seal well. But to address the corrosion, all the metal needs replaced. Fuses and terminals.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The new fuse block also has an improved design of internals. "The new fuse blocks have provisions for multiple power connections to improve the condition of the connection and power distribution." As JD955 pointed out, machines without a cab are prone to having issues with water ingress/corrosion on components such as the fuse block which are exposed to the elements on your machine instead of being hidden away in the corner of a waterproof (we would hope.!) cab.

The new fuse block also has a different type of (external) main power terminal connection (the two big wires) between the machine harness and the fuse box bus bars. That's why the two existing wires will not connect directly to the new fuse block and so need the ring terminals cut off and new terminations crimped on to them.

It's worth pointing out again that if you have fuses getting hot then you likely bhave corrosion issues (that may well be invisible to you right now) inside the fuse block in addition to any obvious ones that you can see from outside.

Last edited:

Chased

Not meaning to leave y'all hanging. I've got the parts to update the fuse block and harness and all. But I don't have a place warm enough to work on it right now. I'm in Texas and this weather is not my cup of tea! Don't know where any of you are from but it's snowed almost 10 inches here and been 0-20 degrees the last few days. We aren't set up for that around here! lol Maybe by Monday it'll warm up enough for me to get something done on that thing. I'll update with any progress. Until then, thanks again everybody!

DGODGR

Crickets since February?! What ever happened with all this? Did the new fuse panel fix your issues?

Chased

Wow, I guess I ended up forgetting all about all this as I ashamedly put it off and put it off. (Finding the problem that is.) I replaced the fuse boxes and still have the problem. I guess I should get re-motivated to get it fixed.