• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5k2 flashing red at idle

Chased

Speaking of tracks... long story short, I bought this dozer from a Case dealer. When this light first came on I took it to them. They didn’t have the diagnostic hookup. They did some “research” and some smart sounding guy came out and told me that light had to do with the traction control. Which I have turned off. Not sure if he was full of it or if there’s anything to that..?? I forgot all about that.

JD955SC

Speaking of tracks... long story short, I bought this dozer from a Case dealer. When this light first came on I took it to them. They didn’t have the diagnostic hookup. They did some “research” and some smart sounding guy came out and told me that light had to do with the traction control. Which I have turned off. Not sure if he was full of it or if there’s anything to that..?? I forgot all about that.

He doesn’t know what he is talking about. You need to get at least an Operation and Maintenance manual for this machine. Cat has them for reasonable cost.

To put it roughly the dash lights exist to communicate faults. A flashing yellow warning light with exclamation mark is check as soon as possible, a flashing red light with exclamation mark is a more severe fault that requires immediate attention. A level three fault which has both the flashing light and a horrifically screeching alarm in your ear means something is seriously wrong and if you don’t shut down it might be very expensive. When a laptop and communications adapter is connected and the diagnostic software is launched it shows you what codes are what and if they are active or logged. A logged code far in the past is probably not relevant but codes currently active and very recently active should be investigated carefully.

Last edited:

JD955SC

Ok, I got some panels and floorboard off and did some cleaning and looking around. Haven’t found any bad wires yet. The fuses that have power are all at 14.17-14.21 with the alarm on. Is that range ok? The bottom left, 6 fuses in the bottom fuse box, under the relays, have no power. But the wires on the back side are just “jumpered” to theirselves. I guess these are just unused spaces.

How can I check relays? They’re all the same. Just move them around and see if something different happens? Lol

Swapping relays a valid test method and easy. I like to test any suspect ones by supplying voltage to coil side and checking for switched side operation and ohms across switched side (I have had high resistance on a relay cause a voltage drop on the circuits it controlled, it took them down to 8 volts when it was supposed to be 24 volts)

Good voltages for that. No fuses blown? Yeah every modern cat machine pretty much has unused slots for expansion to add circuits if necessary and to act as spares.

Chased

That’s what I figured. And yes, I need to get a manual for sure. I’d like to have a service manual too but they want $800+. Maybe a used on eBay or something.

I’ll mess with the relays some tomorrow. No blown fuses. Going to blow out dirt and debris and do some more wire checking tomorrow too.

Thank you for your time!!

JD955SC

Price the service manual through Cat too it’s not cheap but might be better than that. I don’t know about other source reliability or pricing.

Chased

Sorry, wasn’t very clear there. CAT wants $800 for service manual. I thought I may look for a used one online.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
PSSR is a Parts & Service Sales Rep. As HMC suggested if you can get your local dealer to send one out to measure your undercarriage (tell them you’re in the market for replacement) just make sure he brings a laptop & Comms Adapter with him so he can give you a rundown on what ails your machine while measuring your U/C.

I’ll give you a link where you can download an Operation & Maintenance Manual from Cat for around $50. Note this is not a Service Manual but it more than covers the basics.

Chased

Ok, gotcha. Awesome! Can you post it here or do you want my email or something?

Chased

Cool, thanks a lot!

So it says KWW1-UP. I assume that does include mine? KWW00881

Chased

Thanks!

Hey, off subject but do you know if the pins that connect the cylinders to the blade come out either direction or only one way? Should you take the keeper off and drive it away from the keeper or toward the keeper?

Puffie40

Looking at the codes you provided, the air filter differential code 582-03 (036) suggests your air filter needs cleaning.

Given a couple of your codes are either above normal or below normal, that suggests you either have some bad sensors, or they were leftover from troubleshooting where the guy just unplugged sensors while the machine was running.

Nige

Looking at the codes you provided, the air filter differential code 582-03 (036) suggests your air filter needs cleaning.
Sorry I don't agree. The 582-03 Code relates to a problem with the air filter differential pressure switch, not the filter itself. There is a troubleshooting procedure for the switch.
Problem: 582-03 - Air Filter Differential Pressure Switch : Voltage Above Normal
Troubleshooting, "Switch Circuits - Test (Air Filter Restriction Switch)"

However with the raft of Codes that this machine has listed the problem MIGHT well be one of sensor supply voltage, common sensor ground, or something similar, rather than being related to a specific sensor or pressure switch.

Chased

I just can’t understand why it does it when I’m sitting still. And at 2 minutes exactly. It did do it this morning when cold, even after moving it a little. But other than that it never comes on when I’m running. And after good and warm I can sit at high idle and it doesn’t come on.

I think my next step is going to have to be, get someone to hook the computer up so I can see what codes are active at least. Or clear them and see what comes back.

Chased

Yes, I’m no technician obviously, but it makes me think it’s something with the exhaust. Like the electric back flow valve or something. Or since it seems to do better after it’s warmed up, something with the hydraulics. Seems with all the sensors, it would show a code for something along those lines but I don’t know.

Nige

I think my next step is going to have to be, get someone to hook the computer up so I can see what codes are active at least. Or clear them and see what comes back.
If you do that, make sure that they download a Product Status Report (PSR) and give you a copy in pdf format. That will serve as a permanent record of which of the Diagnostic Codes were active and which were Logged.

BTW you do realize that the system voltage can be accessed from the Operator Controls and displayed on the LCD screen..? Another one of the benefits of having an Operation & Maintenance Manual.

Attachments

• D5K2 Operator Controls.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited: