• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5G tracks will not move with flashing code 168 ???

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Just a thought. Step 1 C is looking for a minimum resistance between two wires of 5000 ohms.
Ideally you should be looking for your meter to read "1" which indicates there is no continuity between the tow wires you are testing.
So set your meter dial to the maximum "2M" setting on the resistance scale. If the display shows "1" under those circumstances you are good.

Richie Nell

Pins 1 to 69…..000
Pins 1 to 44…..000
Pins 31 to 44…. Screen goes blank
Pins 39 to 44…..Screen goes blank
Pins 31 to 69…..ditto
Pins 39 to 69…..ditto

When I connect those pins screen goes blank, as soon as I disconnect it goes back to 1.

Richie Nell

At 2k
Pins 1 to 69…. 1.
Pins 1 to 44…. 1.949
Pins 31 to 44…. Screen goes blank or -1.
Pins 39 to 44…..Screen goes blank or -1.
Pins 31 to 69…..ditto
Pins 39 to 69…..ditto

Richie Nell

Before checking codes again, I plugged sensor back in and checked all the pin ohms again. The blank screen came back.

Unplugged sensor, connected ECM back and all three codes remain.

Beginning to wonder if Cat mechanic has sabotaged my machine.

Nige

Unplugged sensor, connected ECM back and all three codes remain.
There are a total of 4 sensors that use the 8v supply.
The two track motor speed sensors, the decelerator pedal sensor, and the brake pedal sensor. The location of the last two is illustrated below. Each one will have a short harness with a triangular 3-pin connector on it.
Please disconnect ALL four sensors and repeat the Blink Code test.

1713453995658.png
1713454157362.png

Nige

The reason I asked is that unplugging the LH motor speed sensor should also have created a Code - 251 in that case. I am more than a little surprised that it hasn't.

I'm sorry but TBH I am now at the point where, without loading the parts cannon and throwing some parts at the problem in the hope of a solution, I don't know what to suggest next.

The obvious thing would be a replacement RH motor speed sensor but the downside is that they are not cheap.

Nige

If you do bite the bullet on a speed sensor it is unfortunately not a "plug & play" replacement.
On the existing 184-4584 sensor the connector on the machine harness plugs direct into the body of the sensor. The 360-0453 replacement sensor has 4 wire pigtails and requires a receptacle kit plus 4 pins to adapt it to the machine harness. A pin has to be crimped on to each wire pigtail. See the attached article.

Attachments

• SEPD1270.pdf
    81.9 KB · Views: 1

Richie Nell

Does that mean the original sensor is not available? Only the new style replacement? Does this look like one of them?

IMG_9499.png

Richie Nell

Is this not the new four wire sensor? Right and left sensor look the same. I had either one of both replaced about 10 years ago.

IMG_9500.jpeg