• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5G multiple problems

Crackerjack222

I have a D5G (SN: 005GTFDW005XX) with multiple problems. I have had the machine for less than two years and my son has done most of the driving it pushing mesquite trees. The machine is at my ranch in So. Texas, 130 miles from home. I only get there about one full day per week to work on it. Two weeks ago when we started it up it had the "ACTION" light on and it would only move slow, #1 on the speed indicator and could not speed it up. I suspected rats had chewed on the wiring. I moved it to my barn/shop since it also has a hydraulic leak on the right side. After removing the cover plates over the hydraulic line to the angle cylinder and cleaning the dirt and debris off, I tried to start the engine to verify the leaking line among the three under the clamp. The key switch broke off...:(.
So last week I installed a new key switch. Now when I turn the key I can hear the master relay click on and the lights and gages are alive and I can hear the starter solenoid click but no action from the starter motor. I can get a new starter for $177 (cheap enough). I suspect bad starter solenoid contacts but I wanted to be sure before I tackled the three nuts holding the starter on. So I got out my notes from this site and began troubleshooting the ECM. I get code 251 ( Speed Sensor, Left Track) and 272 (Proportional Solenoid, Left Track Motor). So I removed the cab floor plate and both side step plates. This is what I see under the left side step plate:

d5g cables.JPG
You can see a two-conductor plug/socket with two brown(?) wires chewed off. There are also two brown(?) wires chewed off coming out of the U of the large cable. I can splice these wires back together but am not sure if it makes a difference which one is which since both wires are brown(?). I have since cleaned up these wires/cables and have stripped the wires ready to splice them together. The other side of the plug has a wire chewed on, but it still has continuity.

Does it make a difference which one is which when I splice the two wires? What do these wires go to?

I will go back next week and verify that the starter solenoid is getting power.

Last edited:

Crackerjack222

I did not see any numbers on any wires. I looked where I could but was afraid if I cleaned the wires I would erase any numbers. I cleaned the plug/socket and did not see any id there.

Crackerjack222

I will go down next Wednesday and look at the wires again. I hate to peel the protective mesh off because of the rats but maybe I can come up with some other protection.

Crackerjack222

Well, it is a long story but it looks like I will now have time to look at this again. I reconnected the two brown wires that had been rat chewed as shown in my photo in post #1. So now, I am only getting Diagnostic Code #264, Proportional Solenoid (Reverse Left Drive Pump). The red brake light and Action light are on, the engine starts and runs, hydraulics function correctly but the brake light stays on and of course the machine will not move. I can find no other chewed wires, but that does not mean there might be more....:( BTW, I can find no numbers on any of the wires I have been working with.

Can someone post the Troubleshooting procedure for this problem?
Can someone tell me where to look for the Reverse Left Drive Pump Proportional Solenoid? I have the rear inspection plate off and can see what looks like a solenoid and also a sensor on a large block.

If someone reading this knows of a competent Cat mechanic in South Texas (Dilley, Cotulla, Pearsall, Carrizo Springs, Crystal City, Uvalde) please let me know, the machine is near Big Wells.

ahart

The speed sensors are on each of the drive motors, if I remember correctly the left one is on the side of the motor you can see from the rear and the right sensor is on the inboard side of the right motor. The proportional solenoids for the pumps should be visible under the floor plate on the hydrostatic pumps. Proportional solenoids for the motors will be close to the speed sensors for the track motors. Post a photo of the track speed sensor and I can tell you if it’s been updated to the new style or not, if not there’s a couple other pieces you’ll need along with a pin out on the new connector you’ll have to install. All fairly easy work once you get the parts.

Last edited:

ahart

In case you end up changing speed sensor, here’s the info

Attachments

• Speed sensor .pdf
    48.2 KB · Views: 14

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Just addressing the solenoid question...
So now, I am only getting Diagnostic Code #264, Proportional Solenoid (Reverse Left Drive Pump)... Can someone tell me where to look for the Reverse Left Drive Pump Proportional Solenoid?
Physically mounted on each pump. My memory tells me rear pump drives the right side ("R&R") but my memory has lied before. Easiest way to confirm is to unplug a solenoid or 4 (one at a time) and see which code it throws. Same part number on both pumps for all 4 solenoids...
upload_2023-1-28_11-39-34.png upload_2023-1-28_11-43-45.png

Last edited:

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
I should also mention if any of these 4 solenoids are moved from their original locations or replaced a calibration is required... which you'll probably need a laptop with ET for.

Kyfarm

I think it would be wise, just to make sure, that you put a brand new battery ( or one you know to have full voltage and amperage delivery ) on your dozer before doing a bunch of other work.

Keep in mind that a voltage meter does NOT tell you if the battery has enough amps to turn over the starter. Everything you described about hearing the solenoid and relay connect but no starter action can be attributed to a weak battery, and many many people will tell you that various electrical gremlins all seem to go away with a new battery.

Best of luck

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There are three different faults that can cause the 264 Code relating to the left pump reverse steer solenoid. Diagnostic procedure for all three are attached.

Attachments

• MID079 CID1704 FMI03.pdf
    207.9 KB · Views: 10
  • MID079 CID1704 FMI05 TTT.pdf
    104.9 KB · Views: 2
  • MID079 CID1704 FMI06.pdf
    204 KB · Views: 2

Crackerjack222

I think it would be wise, just to make sure, that you put a brand new battery ( or one you know to have full voltage and amperage delivery ) on your dozer before doing a bunch of other work.

Keep in mind that a voltage meter does NOT tell you if the battery has enough amps to turn over the starter. Everything you described about hearing the solenoid and relay connect but no starter action can be attributed to a weak battery, and many many people will tell you that various electrical gremlins all seem to go away with a new battery.

Best of luck
Thanks for the reply Kyfarm. I failed to mention that the "no starter action" was caused by the wrong key switch that I had installed to replace the broken switch. I now have the correct switch installed and the engine starts normally. I am aware that low voltage can cause multiple problems with this machine but I dont think that is the case here but I will keep that in mind.

Crackerjack222

There are three different faults that can cause the 264 Code relating to the left pump reverse steer solenoid. Diagnostic procedure for all three are attached.
Nige, thank you so much, what you posted is what I was hoping for. As I mentioned in post #7, the only Code I am getting now is 264. I will go to the ranch next week to look at it again.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As I mentioned before, the method of pulling Codes using a piece of wire is very basic but it has limitations, this being one of those cases. 264 translates to CID 1704 which has 3 possible failure modes. You'll just have to test for all three.
You do have the electrical schematic for the tractor, correct.?

Also take careful note of Chrisso's point above that if you move any of those 4 solenoids you are in for re-calibration and that requires ET. Move them around for testing by all means but mark them carefully beforehand so that each one can be put back in its original location.

Crackerjack222

As I mentioned before, the method of pulling Codes using a piece of wire is very basic but it has limitations, this being one of those cases. 264 translates to CID 1704 which has 3 possible failure modes. You'll just have to test for all three.
You do have the electrical schematic for the tractor, correct.?

Also take careful note of Chrisso's point above that if you move any of those 4 solenoids you are in for re-calibration and that requires ET. Move them around for testing by all means but mark them carefully beforehand so that each one can be put back in its original location.
I have an electrical schematic. I am not sure it exactly corresponds to my machine serial no but I have been using it and it seems ok so far. I will check that next week when I am there. I have a D5G service manual on DVD. I had my son print each page of the schematic in color (12 pages I think) and then I taped them onto a large piece of cardboard. Makes it much easier to follow a wire than across multiple pages.
I have about thrown in the towel on my ability to fix this thing and have tentatively scheduled a tech to meet me at the ranch next week. He has the ET software package. I just have too many other projects going to spend the time on this machine.
Once again, thanks for your help!!!

Welder Dave

Sometimes it saves a lot of frustration and hair pulling having someone experienced with the proper tools come out to help fix problems. It can cost a bunch but is worth it if gets the machine up and running in a timely manner.

Crackerjack222

Nige, I have to say Thanks!!! once more. The schematic you sent is significantly different from the one I have been trying to use. I have asked my son to expand and print it in color.