• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5G Idler seal replacement

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
As the title suggest we've have a 2004 D5G XL WGB 1090 that is need of a front idler seal replacement.

Looks like we'll need 3, 4 and 14 to start. Anything else parts wise?

D5G idler break down.jpg

Also any tricks, tips or experience on resealing the idler?

Many thanks in advance.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
LOL….I thought you were talking about the idler seals. Check the chrome on 13

Yeah just the seal on the left side but we'll do both at the same time, we all know if you don't do the othe side it will dump it's guts on the first job.

X2 on rebuilding the idler. Had to replace a worn idler on our 953C a couple years back and the Cat house has reman'd idlers on the shelf that is cheaper and much easier to replace.

JD955SC

I haven’t done undercarriage work on a G but if it has wear strips/shims for the “track” the whole assy rides in you’ll probably be addressing that as well. The Ks IIRC do have shims that go in this area

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Most would call that a track adjuster seal. They don't usually have problems unless the track chains are stretched way out.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Most would call that a track adjuster seal.

Probably a better description. :D

They don't usually have problems unless the track chains are stretched way out.

The chains aren't stretched, worn but not stretched as the right side chains stay "tight". The grease on the left hand side is bypassing the tensioner seals and letting the idler slide back in creating slack on the chain.