• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4d water in oil

hflbz

Hi I'm getting water in my oil on my 83j 3304 d4d any advice where to look for first? The dozer sat for 3 years before I bought it and started getting used again and now is got about a gallon of water in the oil

Dave Neubert

Check to see that the weep hole in the water pump is open if it gets clogged and your water pump starts to leak it will go into engine. Head gasket but not likely most likely either liner seals or pin hole in cylinder liner. only way to tell is to drop oil pan and look to see where it is coming from

hflbz

Radiator antifreeze is clean I'll look at the water pump tomorrow hopefully it's that and not the liners. I'm not sure what to do if it's the liners though

Bluox

Before you pull the pan look On the back of timing cover right under the hyd. pump is a cover held on with 2 bolts. Remove that cover and put 10# pressure on the radiator ,if the water pump is leaking you will see it .
Good luck
Bob

hflbz

Before you pull the pan look On the back of timing cover right under the hyd. pump is a cover held on with 2 bolts. Remove that cover and put 10# pressure on the radiator ,if the water pump is leaking you will see it .
Good luck
Bob
Thank you I'll try that for sure

Dave Neubert

If it is the liners you will have to pull the head pull the rods and pistons then pull the liners at that point you might as well in frame it especially if the liners have any pitting and the lower bore where the liner seals is known to erode away if it isnot bad you can clean it and JB weld it and sand it smooth if it is bad then you have to pull engine tear it down and have lower repairs machined in

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
what shape is the d4 in, if it is tired you may just sell it and up date.
no sense in spending a lot of money rebuilding it from end to end

hflbz

I have about 7000 in it dozer and parts right now. The uc is about 40%. I'm not sure if it worth it too do an inframe or not. The water that came out was dark red rust colored. I bought it from a rancher I used to work for never had any problems when he had it till the hydraulic pump went out then he parked it. I was the last one to use it

hflbz

I really appreciate the replys . I wouldn't would have thought about the liners leaking .

Bluox

I wonder if they pulled the hyd. pump and left the engine open?
Does your motor even have a engine oil cooler?
When you pressurized the radiator how fast did it leak off?
I would drain the oil pan and pressurize the radiator to see if coolant runs out.
Bob

hflbz

Yes it was left open for about a week when the hydraulic pump was changed I tried to have it remanufactured but ended up getting one from cat. It didn't get rain in or anything I tried to cover it the best I could to kept dust out

hflbz

It does have oil cooler but it now has a lot of blow by I noticed today also and getting worse the more I run it.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Is it blow by or steam coming out the breather. If you have water in the oil you’ll see steam when it heats up.

Reactions: DB2

Bluox

So your not losing anti freeze from your radiator?
You have water in your pan?
Have you changed oil?
I going to bet your oil cooler is a transmission cooler.
Do you have the means to pressure check your cooling system?
Bob

Puffie40

take the rad cap off, start it up, and take a look. If your coolant is boiling you have blow-by, and that is usually a head gasket (it can sometimes mean a hole or crack in the head or cyilinder liner). If you keep your fingers crossed a new head gasket might fix it, but check both the block and head for flatness before reinstalling, otherwise the warped head will just cause the gasket to blow again.

Last edited: