• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4d water in oil

Ct Farmer

Is that water or coolant in the oil? If plain water look for rain getting in. If you are seeing steam out the stack look for bad head gasket or seal on injector holder.

If you run it at all with water/coolant in there the oil will turn to gray muck.

When my 3304 had a bad liner the coolant literally ran into the pan until the level balanced out. We took 5 gallons out when we pulledthe pan to inspect. You could pour water in the rad and watch it run through the liner. Wasn't burning it because the leak was at the base below the piston top. Block had to go to the shop for 2 lower and 3 upper inserts.

By the way if you choose to remove the pan in-frame you will need to jack the engine an inch or so out of the frame.

hflbz

I do not have a pressure tester. I know it didn't hold any pressure when it was operating temp. The slime was a gray color first. Then I flushed the system with water and changed the water pump and oil then the slime turned to a clearer white color

hflbz

It was two gallons low on water when the gray slime first appeared. The exhaust fumes is clear as can be with no smoke whatsoever even on cold start up

hflbz

The water in the radiator moves up and down when it is running , no bubbles though

hflbz

I simply need to get a pressure tester and drop the pan the next time I get.

Dave Neubert

As much water as you are losing you will probably see it with out pressure especially if you have antifreeze in it

Bluox

Good luck with pulling the pan ,you will either have to pull the equalizer spring or pull the engine.
Bob

Ct Farmer

You can pull the pan in place but it is a pain. The equalizer is in the way and you need to drop the pan enough to clear the oil pickup and pump. I remember being able free the mounts and jack the engine an inch to slip it off. Still not fun.

Once i had the pan off you could see coolant running down the inside of the perforated liner.

Getting rid of the grey slime is a pain. Even with steam cleaning all passages and hot tanking it I still found some during reassembly.

If there is no white smoke then no head or precombustion leaks. You would really smell coolant steaming off with as much as you are losing.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
take the rad cap off, start it up, and take a look. If your coolant is boiling you have blow-by, and that is usually a head gasket (it can sometimes mean a hole or crack in the head or cyilinder liner). If you keep your fingers crossed a new head gasket might fix it, but check both the block and head for flatness before reinstalling, otherwise the warped head will just cause the gasket to blow again.
When I say blow by I’m talking about air coming out the engine crankcase breather not bubbles in the rad.