• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4D Bevel gear tooth contact

G Bilecki

Occupation
Mechanic
Hello everyone
cat d4d 83j power shift
I'm having issues with the contact of bevel gear and pinion gear in the rear end of my
appears to be eccentric tooth contact in one spot
I have converted bevel shaft and pinion gear to the updated nut type pinion
replaced with new cat bevel gear and pinion
Second hand bevel gear shaft
New bearings etc
Radial run out on internal to bevel gear mounting on shaft is .02mm
Is this enough to effect the tooth pattern
Please help
I'm on my knees

20210119_132423.jpg

View attachment 233532 View attachment 233533 View attachment 233534

Dave Neubert

almost looks like the pinion is too deep I like to see it more toward the middle. the erratic contact is probably not a huge concern it will most likely look a little different under a load. I like .010- .012 back lash too

Reactions: DB2

G Bilecki

Occupation
Mechanic
Hello
I've moved the pinion a number of times with the same uneven patten regardless of where pinion is
Best I could get it was 3/4 of the crown wheel pattern to look ok ( 30% from the toe )
The other 1/4 to far on heal
just that one spot when loaded up will walk toward the heal and tooth contact even further
When I close up back lash it locks up in that spot where the marker pen is marked the bevel gear

Cmark

.02mm is .0008" in old money so shouldn't be significant IMO. Have you checked axial runout? Bevel gear not sitting flat on the shaft due to debris/ burrs maybe?

Dave Neubert

Is the pinion a after market does it get tight on the same place on the ring gear or same place on the pinion

G Bilecki

Occupation
Mechanic
New caterpillar pinion ex usa special order, new caterpillar bevel gear ex Italy,
Second hand crown wheel shaft.
My first thoughts were burrs or not seating correctly so I took crown wheel off and crack tested the shaft, was all good so just machined face as it looked like old chafing marks
refitted crown wheel = No different

Issue is in the same place on the crown wheel

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1zKWYpHcU1uVAEDHEald5iXxBXd1N4AA6

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I realize that the "master bolt hole" will be off but for the purposes of a test is it worth a try to index the crown wheel 90/120/180 degrees on the shaft from its current position and repeat the test to see whether or not the "tight spot" stays in the same place on the gear or the same place with respect to the shaft..? If it stays in the same relative position with respect to the shaft that would indicate to me that the shaft is not running true.

Dave Neubert

Like Nidge said try to index it different if it stays in the same spot on the ring gear my guess would faulty machining on the ring gear

Reactions: DB2

G Bilecki

Occupation
Mechanic
I know, and the one time you get a issue it's on your own machine, not many people would come across this issue.