• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4 7u final drive removal

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Ok so I realized that back of the bull gear where the bearing was being held broke off so that's why it's all scared up, and the piñon looks like it's in great shape, not gonna lie only into this cat for a couple hundred bucks and all honesty it's only ever gonna be used to play around on a couple times a year don't really want to pull the steer clutches .....
nobody ever wanted to pull the lid off a D4 for fun . Even if the pinion is alright the bearings have had grinder paste in them .

toby lindquist

IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0079.JPG Found this for sale near my house what's it worth ?? Broken motor mount and leaks oil out it, Diesel engine runs good track and chain, case terra track, overall fairly worn out owner thought scrap metal price ?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Don't know of ANY part on that machine still available. Good luck as I see it as worse than my Allis for parts.

toby lindquist

Ok gotcha, so I talked to the guy today and he said the front motor mount is broke off, so is that a repower or can someone fix it by welding it ?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Will have an old style Case 4 cyl in it, which is now a Cummins but I do not think much interchanges one to the other even in the early changeover years.

toby lindquist

Got my new final, just waiting on some bearings to get here to finish up, what kind of oil should I use in the final drive ?
Also I have two dip sticks one on like the front of the tranny and one like middle kind of back, what should I use in the them and how can I clean them out, diesel ??

Last edited:

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I used 80-90 in both my '7u's , one had it in when I got it the second had 120 oil , it was possible to stand a rod up in the 120 stuff . Chap long dead now told me when these things were new 30 grade oil was used but because the finals used to get hot the D4's went to 80-90 . Out of interest how much did the inside bearing cost you . We are gouged by Caterpillar if you are not a pet contractor .

toby lindquist

I used 80-90 in both my '7u's , one had it in when I got it the second had 120 oil , it was possible to stand a rod up in the 120 stuff . Chap long dead now told me when these things were new 30 grade oil was used but because the finals used to get hot the D4's went to 80-90 . Out of interest how much did the inside bearing cost you . We are gouged by Caterpillar if you are not a pet contractor .
The race was 90 and the bearing I think was 200 I believe, why does my cat have 2 dip sticks on the tranny ?? I also have another good final if anybody is interested and some other random parts to sell

Old Magnet

Got my new final, just waiting on some bearings to get here to finish up, what kind of oil should I use in the final drive ?
Also I have two dip sticks one on like the front of the tranny and one like middle kind of back, what should I use in the them and how can I clean them out, diesel ??

If one of the dip sticks is down by your right foot it's for an oil clutch fluid level.