• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3B Clutch and cylinder rebuild

AllDodge

Once last bolt was removed lifted them out

D3 20.jpg D3 21.jpg

Anyone know the thickness of the disc and steels are?
Also the brake band?

D3 22.jpg D3 23.jpg

AllDodge

Andy called a few days ago and said (in short) there is nothing wrong with the clutches. Will be sending them back later. So now its either the torque converter (TC) or transmission.

I'm thinking TC because there has been no metal found in filters/screens, and pressures are good. There was also next to no heat increase during a stall test

Would really like to figure this out and not just keep taking things apart

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Once last bolt was removed lifted them out

View attachment 204816 View attachment 204817

Anyone know the thickness of the disc and steels are?
Also the brake band?

View attachment 204818 View attachment 204819
Guy
Andy called a few days ago and said (in short) there is nothing wrong with the clutches. Will be sending them back later. So now its either the torque converter (TC) or transmission.

I'm thinking TC because there has been no metal found in filters/screens, and pressures are good. There was also next to no heat increase during a stall test

Would really like to figure this out and not just keep taking things apart
How it going, do you have it back to in stalked, sam

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Not yet, but called Andy yesterday and said they should have them shipped back soon
That is a good deal of work , one thing is to get the band a just ed to be right . I did not when I reinstalled mine , the ajustment bolt on the new brake was not enough , wating for spring to do a better job , and go tight it up, have fun .

AllDodge

Started back on the reinstall and then remembered 2 bolts where snapped off on the left side hydraulic pistons. Welded a washer and nut as done before which didn't work this time. Couldn't get enough heat transfer I think. So took a grinder and cleaned up my mess, then drilled the bolts thru.

Unable to find my easy outs so need to get some more.

Worst comes to worst I can drill the hole thing out and use a longer bolt and nut.

AllDodge

Got the studs out and retapped the holes

Have installed the clutches but just a few bolts on each end except one. Trying to figure out how to release the clutch so it can be turned to align the bolts holes. Tried to use a port-a-power but its to long.

Will post pics later

AllDodge

Need an idea of how to get the second clutch bolts installed

Need to rotate the sprocket on one side only to align bolt holes, or work clutch (20 ton maybe) so inner/outer will move. My 3 ton forklift won't lift one side using the rops. Could try the 416 but it may not do it either.

Looking for ideas

Welder Dave

Not sure what you mean by second clutch bolts? When I did the steering clutches on mine everything turned rather easily, didn't need anything special. It was a few years ago but seems we got all the outer bolts in first and then turned the whole thing to get the inner bolts. Trans. in neutral everything should free wheel. Had the machine blocked up. I can't recall exactly but I think the 2nd side required turning both sides once the 1st bolt was in. I think we lined all the holes up before putting the bolts in and then turned everything to get the bolts on top so they could be tightened.

Bluox

Need an idea of how to get the second clutch bolts installed

Need to rotate the sprocket on one side only to align bolt holes, or work clutch (20 ton maybe) so inner/outer will move. My 3 ton forklift won't lift one side using the rops. Could try the 416 but it may not do it either.

Looking for ideas
I would put a block in front of the right track then put the jack on the back of the left track and jack till two bolt holes line up, put the bolts in then back off jack remove block and continue to jack left track till you get all the bolts in.
good luck
Bob

AllDodge

The right side is attached on both sides, so the trans cannot be turned. The track could be turned on left side if its raised off the ground. It would be easy to move with it blocked up

Blocking might work if I installed the inner first and not the outer (outer holes move faster, larger diameter), but all the strain will be on one bolt when block is removed.

Guess I'm going to have to raise the left side. I'm on gravel and the grousers are about 2 inches high and track will droop. I know my 955 could lift and push the rops enough to tilt it, but takes more to move it. Think I'll see if the 416 can do it

Bluox

The whole point is one side turns the other don't the bolt holes line up . Remove the block both sides move, But your zoo your monkeys carry on.
Bob

AllDodge

Took the most time to get the BH in position, gave it a slight nudge, then about 10 minutes and set it back down. If it didn't start raining I would have got all the bolts in. Just wait for another dry day, but will be a bit colder

D3 26.jpg

Welder Dave

Seems like you made it more complicated than it needed to be. You could have lifted the front with the blade and blocked it. Then used a hyd. jack and blocked the back of the machine or vice/versa. Pushing on the ROPS with another machine is probably pretty far down the list for most people.

AllDodge

Guess to each their own, figured the machine didn't weight much and the rops should be able to handle the load, and it did with no issue. Not sure I would try it if it was a much larger machine, but even the rops on a larger machine should be built to handle a roll over

Lifting the blade wouldn't have helped because the cylinders are disconnected. At any rate 30 minutes total and was back working on it.

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
I know that you mean about the bolts , I had my cat up on blocks , used a come along to turn the track , axcess hole next to the sprocket , need a super long extinction , to get past the track .
One thing I did learn , was the new brake liner was very stiff ,
and I need to read visit mine . good luck , sam.

AllDodge

Clutches are back in, brake bands attached.

Bought a Kent Moore 3 inch flat boxed end adapter to torque inside, and it was no go. The thing just barely fits on the bolt head and after turning slightly the thing cannot be removed. Tried a few different things and nothing worked. So used 2 boxed wrenches and tightened them down good. Was able to torque all the outside bolts.

Previous install stripped one of the outside holes, so one less bolt.

Anyone know what the orange silicone looking adhesive is? Its on all the surfaces and appears to have been applied with a brush