• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D330a Generator, fuel line gushing, need help!

Azitizz

Hi there. Looking for some help figuring out where to start with this new diesel fuel leak. I'm a millwright by trade but havent worked much on diesel generators, and am offering my volunteer services to a small non-profit organization who have these generators for emergency lighting and some heating.

These lines coming from the primer pump/filter section have always been open ended. the one in the picture (should be attached here) thats gushing was only dripping very slightly last month. Something changed and now its gushing. Manuals I have arent much help for parts breakdown.

Any Ideas?
Engine is Hewitt/Catepillar D330a. Serial number: 56B00470, runnig a 75kw generator.

Attachments

• PXL_20211116_174458353.jpg
    PXL_20211116_174458353.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 38

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Those are weep lines. So, when a lip seal in the fuel injection pump/governor goes bad, instead of filling up the crankcase with diesel damaging bearings and such, the fuel will escape to the atmosphere instead and hopefully someone notices it. So, where exactly does that line go to?

Coaldust

Occupation
I think one line goes to the fuel transfer pump and the other goes to the gov. But, I haven’t worked on a D330 since I did a major restoration and major overhaul of the backup, backup generator on the M/V NOAAS Miller Freeman. 1990? Good golly, I’m getting old.

Azitizz

Great. Thanks for the quick replies. I am working remotely so will have to ask a fellow worker there to pump tomorrow iand also to get more pictures for me.
I am hoping to gather as much info as I can to try and order parts so when I arrive I can hopefully help solve the issue without having to call up Totomont... its a $1000 just for the service call, usually taking them twice as they, come and assess then go back to get parts and come back again the next day. so two service calls and the parts & labor... Adds up quickly.

Coaldust

Occupation
Plus, it’s going to be hard to find a dealer tech with first hand knowledge or experience with an antique like that.

Azitizz

Plus, it’s going to be hard to find a dealer tech with first hand knowledge or experience with an antique like that.
Yes, sometimes thre hasnt been much of a choice, depending on who is available to help make decisions and who to call up, its gone to the toromont dealer before, and they pay heavily. There has been a more local fellow who works on generators and has helped, is much cheaper and knowledgable but as of lately he hasnt been easy to get a old of or come out.
At some point the organization may have to look at alternatives, but there arent that many great ones that are cost effective. They would need 2 newer generators at 75kw each or one at 150kw. Not sure what proces are for a good modern reliable generator set but I'm thinking well into in the 5 digit range.

IVe heard the lifespan of the newer generators are only a fraction of the older ones like the D330s. As old as they are, they are not so difficult to troubleshoot with a bit of knowledge and are prety solid all around.

skyking1

Not to derail your repair efforts, but spare gensets come up for sale and are relatively cheap. The bigger they are the harder to find a proper home. Hospitals are forced to upgrade often. The building and demand grows and the old gensets are on the market.

Azitizz

Not to derail your repair efforts, but spare gensets come up for sale and are relatively cheap. The bigger they are the harder to find a proper home. Hospitals are forced to upgrade often. The building and demand grows and the old gensets are on the market.
Thats good to know. I'll definately look into it. We have no choice but to keep these ones running for now. A lot of work had been put into them to bring them back up to snuff when the property was aquired 10 yrs ago.Aand for the most part since then have run well, but every now and again something happens and its not cheap...

A septic system replacement is in the works which is around the 600k range. They are trying to do what they can to prolong the existing one to until enough money can be raised for the new one.

I'm thinking generators may be the next big purchase...

Azitizz

So when the primer is pumped, the fuel comes out of the same line, which leads up to the area of the pump and filter.

I'm awaiting a few pictures to see exactly where the line goes.

Azitizz

Heres is the line where the fuel is coming out. It is on the filter/pump housing. Would it be a seal in there that needs replacing?

Attachments

• IMG-20211117-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20211117-WA0000.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-20211117-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20211117-WA0001.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 23

Bluox

So when the primer is pumped, the fuel comes out of the same line, which leads up to the area of the pump and filter.

I'm awaiting a few pictures to see exactly where the line goes.
The line that is running should go to a valve on the side of the filter a bleeder line like Grandpa said it would be the wheel in your picture.
The other line would be a witness line coming out of the pump drive area from the transfer pump.
Bob

Last edited:

Azitizz

The line that is running should go to a valve on the side of the filter a bleeder line like Grandpa said it would be the wheel in your picture.
The other line would be a witness line coming out of the pump drive area from the transfer pump.
Bob
Hmm, so could it be that someone simply opened up the bleeder valve? Would that cause that much fuel to come out of the other line?

Bluox

Only the bleeder line shows that much fuel .
The other line is a drain for the witness hole on the transfer pump ,the pump right below the priming pump.
They usually only drip showing a seal leak on the pump drive shaft.
Bob

Azitizz

Only the bleeder line shows that much fuel .
The other line is a drain for the witness hole on the transfer pump ,the pump right below the priming pump.
They usually only drip showing a seal leak on the pump drive shaft.
Bob
That could be good news then... Would be as simple as closing the bleed valve and testing again. Lets hope.

Azitizz

So it was good news indeed. The closing of the valve stopped the gush. He said it was down to about 1 drop per second, so I guess there still is something that needs to be addressed there. Is it a needle valve in there?