• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D10R pic...

Jasper

I seem to be having problems posting pics, can't see a picture or movie clip icon to click on!

Anyhoo...this is what replaced our Cat 988 & Volvo 330. The dig became very hard and it was wrecking the shovels (particularly the 330) so we changed to ripping & pushing with this, there's not much it cant handle.

330wciu.jpg

2yonzsz.jpg

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Nice video showing the process.

I do wonder why the operator doesn't tilt the ripper teeth forward after he has the shanks in the ground. What he is doing blunts the teeth off instead of self sharpening. Go to all the expense of a four barrel ripper and they just stuff the shanks in the ground without any control.

Go figure.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Nice pics Jasper. What kind of material is it you're digging in?

BTW, welcome to the forum. :usa

Jasper

Nice pics Jasper. What kind of material is it you're digging in?

BTW, welcome to the forum. :usa

Thanks for the welcome :)

It's a sand & gravel quarry. The dig is hard as hell which is why we changed from the 988 & 330 to a dozer. We've just bought an American Greystone sand plant, the guy who came over from the US to oversee the instalation assured us it was the best sand plant on the market, I have to say we had our reservations but these decisions are taken much further up the food chain. It's been in about eight months now and the bugs are not ironed out yet...I seem to have digressed slightly lol.

Jasper

Nice video showing the process.

I do wonder why the operator doesn't tilt the ripper teeth forward after he has the shanks in the ground. What he is doing blunts the teeth off instead of self sharpening. Go to all the expense of a four barrel ripper and they just stuff the shanks in the ground without any control.

Go figure.

Our problem is inexperienced (Dozer) drivers. We got rid of our big shovels in favour of the D10 but it didn't come with a driver (no kidding) The guy who usually drives it does a decent job but he is or was a shovel driver. On occasion due to manpower shortages we have had to hire in a driver and the difference an experienced driver makes is immediate. There is no substitute for experience but people who don't wear boots and sit in offices miles away say we have enough men. Maybe if they looked at the annual cost of teeth, fuel, undercarriage...

Crawler Hawler

Occupation
HEO, Drill&Boom
Hmmm. Bean counters..

where I'm at they're only concerned with putting hours on the machine and fuel consumption, not performance and production...

almost ended up with a Komatsu because of our money crunchers :eek:

grunk36

Occupation
trainer/technical support with TRIMBLE/SITECH denm
Our problem is inexperienced (Dozer) drivers. We got rid of our big shovels in favour of the D10 but it didn't come with a driver (no kidding) The guy who usually drives it does a decent job but he is or was a shovel driver. On occasion due to manpower shortages we have had to hire in a driver and the difference an experienced driver makes is immediate. There is no substitute for experience but people who don't wear boots and sit in offices miles away say we have enough men. Maybe if they looked at the annual cost of teeth, fuel, undercarriage...

maybe you need a experienced guy ??