• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

d 8n

Queenslander

obviously queenslander youve had issues with tillys
No, I haven’t had issues with Tilly’s personally.
It might be a little unfair, but I’ve just formed an opinion based on experiences of others over the last twenty+ years.
Most of it stems from problems associated with the non genuine parts they sell/use but that is to be expected to some degree.
I went to school with the proprietor and can vouch for his integrity.. at least I could back then .

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Bloody unfair to put this on Tillys , I have seen at least 2 hightrack 8's sold with new radiators in NZ , a very small market . This dozer could well have been having this problem for years with the last owner pulling the pin on it . I can only wonder why it had 50 grade oil in it , was it a stich up to sell it . The problem is lack of cooling capacity , and if its not addressed soon enough damage will be done with the current owner making the same decision as the last , to sell it . Caterpillar paring the last pound of copper from the raditor should be taking the blame , not Tilly's .

Reactions: DB2

Crook_Donk

We had elevated, but not excessive tc temps prior to R/H steering clutch failure. (Piston seal gave way once piston over-extended, loosing pressure. point being it wasn’t preceded by excessive clutch material in the screen) After repairing both sides with new clutch plates / friction discs, we run very cool T/C temps.
Does the machine seem slow to respond when clutching? Low probability but perhaps the whole rear end and trans oil are so hot it takes a long time to cool everything down. Apologies if this was addressed earlier.
Cheers

Tinkerer

[QUOTE="Mark250, post: 785659, member: 50833"Has the correct radiator been fitted. if it is the folded core type with a/con it should have 12 cores.no air con fitted it will have 8 cores plus there are a number of conversions available as well check out SEBD1963
[/QUOTE]
Good comment on the folded radiator Mark. I worked for a contractor that had about 15 new D8N's. Probably more than that ,I don't remember the exact number.
None of them had AC. All of them had open ROPS.
All the folded radiators were replaced within a year with conversions to the flat style.
The folded ones were plagued with hard to see leaks on the bottom of them. They leaked again even after being repaired.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
We had elevated, but not excessive tc temps prior to R/H steering clutch failure. (Piston seal gave way once piston over-extended, loosing pressure. point being it wasn’t preceded by excessive clutch material in the screen) After repairing both sides with new clutch plates / friction discs, we run very cool T/C temps.
Does the machine seem slow to respond when clutching? Low probability but perhaps the whole rear end and trans oil are so hot it takes a long time to cool everything down. Apologies if this was addressed earlier.
Cheers
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a differential steer tractor..?

StanRUS

D8Ns are diff steer.

Mark's SEBC1963? SIS DVDs-Dec 2017 shows baffles for marine engine coolant tanks to prevent foaming?

Repower engines have 92-DEG-C T-stats, illegal to swap out with lower opening temp T-stat...

On-highway 3406Bs...T-stat 190-210F (88-99C), Top tank normal 206-208F (97-08C) very good system 196-198F (91-92C) Fan Clutch temp switch ON @ 205F
Injection Pin-Timing (field timing) is used to set static timing to start engines, then timing is set with meter-timing to check or adjust gov start point.

3406B Aluminum T-stat housing where the T-stat seals @ bottom can erode allowing a bit of coolant to recirculate instead all coolant flowing through the radiator.

Cat 4C-4611 90 minute quick flush will not remove hardened, baked on solids on the interior cylinder block surfaces or inside of cylinder head in 90 minutes. I would pull off one oil cooler bonnet and peek inside of the cyl block.

Exchange T/C did not resolve the problem. Maybe a bit of improvement? Ditto switching to 30W power train oil.

Sounds like lack of radiator cooling capacity, but the machine has run for 32yrs with original folded core radiator, 8 core or 12 core?

burns

correct its got diff steer, 12 folded core in radiator thermostat i put in the other day was a 1209453 it did have a 2485513 in it

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
248-5513 is a heavy-duty temperature regulator fully open at 92 DegC.
120-9453 is also heavy duty, but with a fully open rating of 82 DegC.

Going to the regulator with the lower opening temp might stave off overheating for a while, but I'm not sure that it's a long-term fix.

Reactions: DB2

StanRUS

correct its got diff steer, 12 folded core in radiator thermostat i put in the other day was a 1209453 it did have a 2485513 in it

2484413 is 92-DEG-C (198F) blah ha, Nige is to fast for me.

Probably already checked, are the air bleed vent lines open?

Last edited:

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
stanrus what do you mean by that
Don't DEE 8's have a little hose from the thermostat back up to the radiator to bleed the air out of the system ? System full of air won't be good . May have been removed with all the work done on the dozer .

StanRUS

Don't DEE 8's have a little hose from the thermostat back up to the radiator to bleed the air out of the system ? System full of air won't be good . May have been removed with all the work done on the dozer .

Probably already checked, are the air bleed vent lines open?

Lines = 2, T-stat housing and Trans Cooler vent (air bleed) lines to prevent air-lock and entrained air in the coolant system.

OP can also ditch anti-freeze if the machine's location doesn't have -0Cdeg or -32Fdeg temps for extended periods. And use purified-neutralized water with Cats' corrosion inhibitor; corrosion inhibitor prevents rust, corrosion, liner-block pitting and lubricates the water pump seal faces. Water-Inhibitor coolant will transfer heat out the system quicker, lowering operating temp. Band-aid, but the machine can operate a bit longer before stopping to cool down.

Joe Fick

on the engine coolant have anyone done a water bottle test over the pressure releif hose? ive seen a 3406 moter stays runs hot and no heat in the cab after putting new themostat, water pump, heater core, radiator, lines etc. and on the transmission can you post a video when you walk around with the laser tempature gun i ask this becuase if you are hitting something round you will get incorrect readings vs something flat n flush

burns

was trying to sourse a thermometer group went to nearest cat dealer im wanting a 4c6500 but theyve been discontinued, any one out there got similar temp group that i can chase up to purchase, im not real happy with the infra red temp gun want to plug guages in and work machine and see whats happening