• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cypress Equipment Co. Ltd, Delta, B.C.

log big

thanks 075 and trakloader im from Montana nothing big here small yarders someday i will see a big yarders in the west coast keep the pictures going boys

fitzpatrick

Hi Trakloader:

Next time you are at the Port Clements museum check out the old, like very old front end bucket loader. It's on rubber. One of the earliest articulated loaders built. Used to belong to Highways back in early 50's. I came across it in the late 90's when I was living at QCC. I bought it for about $200 or so and gave it to the museum before it disappeared in a pile of rust or the scrapper got it.

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
Yes the 144 was a monstrosity, the cause of bent lowbeds and punched out roads, broken culverts, etc. :)

If I remember correctly, when I worked in the Charlottes the Y34 (a 144) was on the lowbed when the gooseneck broke. When the boom slapped the top of the water tank it scared the hell out of the truck driver. I think it took two weeks of welding to repair the lowbed.

trakloader

That poor old beast is going off to the scrappers, it got so rusty it literally started falling apart. Three wheel have rusted right off... :( Sad to see, but I think they did not clean it properly when they painted it. Probably had salt trapped under the paint.

Hi Trakloader:

Next time you are at the Port Clements museum check out the old, like very old front end bucket loader. It's on rubber. One of the earliest articulated loaders built. Used to belong to Highways back in early 50's. I came across it in the late 90's when I was living at QCC. I bought it for about $200 or so and gave it to the museum before it disappeared in a pile of rust or the scrapper got it.

trakloader

That was indeed the 144 that did that. 144's also bent the Edwards and Olympic lowbeds, too, but didn't break them.

If I remember correctly, when I worked in the Charlottes the Y34 (a 144) was on the lowbed when the gooseneck broke. When the boom slapped the top of the water tank it scared the hell out of the truck driver. I think it took two weeks of welding to repair the lowbed.

fitzpatrick

Sorry to hear it has succumbed to the salt air. Considering the billions of dollars worth of logs shipped off the islands, it seems a bit unfair communities received not much more than a few paychecks and broken roads. I was expecting the museum would have at least a modest shelter over the outside displays by now.

trakloader

The management before my time debated putting a roof over the outdoor exhibits, but decided that it would last longer if the rain kept it clean. Strange idea I think. Especially after they put it right down by the beach!

fitzpatrick

Well, the rain does keep things clean. Sort of. My pickup truck is a good example.

However the rain coming in off the ocean is loaded with salt as most people in coastal areas are aware of. I wish the museum folks well as it takes special community people to get involved in that type of service. Never enough money or time to do something that will be appreciated by people who are for the most part not even born yet. It's a form of mental illness not covered by the medical plan.

That salt stuff never sleeps and just keeps working, forever. I parked my last FMC at a friend's place at Tlell, thinking I would within a year or so retrieve it before it evaporated. Unfortunately, in the mean time my marriage and investments died of natural causes and I couldn't return as planned. So 9 years later what had been a perfectly operable piece of equipment was reduced to an inoperable basket case. Even the rocker covers and air filter housing disintegrated! A tarp would have helped, but not much. I sold it for scrap.

The good news it has been resurrected and is logging again! I hope who ever gets to operate 'Woody' knows how to use the arch. On a heavy winching or skidding, the arch has to be all the way forward and the logs landed on the deck. Period.

BTW, when you get time to sort thru FMC pics, my unit has a lift lug welded to the top of the cab. For obvious reasons. I'm digging thru my pics covering the last 45 years of logging and other adventures. Painful. I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

I have found quite a few pics of my FMCs with brush rakes, backhoes and fire fighting tank. Even a few of logging on power line construction and just good ol' logging, some at the Tlell property. I'll get a few pics transferred to whatever and send a few your way in a few weeks.

Meanwhile, stay dry.

Machinedr3

Occupation
heavy duty mechanic
Boy do those pictures bring back memories.I started out many years back on the north end of Vancouver Island working for Rayonier Canada, and McMillan Blodel

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
MY bad, should have said" Skidders tracks and tires" and you did see it, oops sorry!!

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Not sure but I think Western ended up with it,. Holberg I think

Scott_527

Ok thanks! I kind of figured Western or IPL would end up with it. I've been trying to update the equipment list on page 74 of the Madill thread. It will be interesting to see who ends up with the 7280C that E&A is trying to sell.

Scott_527

Yeah they have and add in some of thee logging magazines. They're trying to sell #49 for 550k. I believe that's GY-03. So I'm assuming all they have left is the old Gildersleeve machine and the Powell Daniels machine? I think Southviews 6280 is on ForestTech right now too.

trakloader

No Husby pics.... Last time I was at Edwards, GY-3 and the P-D machine were going, and GY-7 (Gildersleeve) was long gone on the barge. Heard she sold right away.

Scott_527

So is E&A going out of business or are they hanging on to one yarder? I wonder if they're selling the Guildersleeve 7230? Is there any chance you can find out where the yarders end up?