• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cutting torch acetylene regulator to propane tank question

Welder Dave

Thought it was a Peddinghaus. My first welding job out of school at a tank shop had a Peddinghaus 210 Super 20. It was a nice machine, just had to be careful your hands were out of the way. A vessel shop I worked in had a tilting vertical bandsaw. It was a Taiwan copy of a Doall but still a nice saw. Way nicer to use than horizontal saws. They could roughly lay the pipe on the table and then line the cut up. They used it to cut 18" fire tubes at 45 deg's. They didn't like us using it to cut I beams for skids though.

Tugger2

My old iron worker is great for for bracket work on light materials,up to about 3/8". I had wanted a Doall tilting head from my early days as a welder fab guy,but couldnt aford thousands for one. This one was a mess (like my shop in the picture) when i got it at an auction. But it was only $700.00 .Cleaned it up and it works great

Old Doug

I built a hack saw machine and bought another. I got one of those cheap band saws when i got out of school. I didnt know that it didnt like rusty steel so i didnt use it much until years later now i use it alot but the bands for it are getting high.

jimpad

I have a terrible time getting my propane torch lit.. it blows out in the slightest breeze before I can get the oxygen on. I even got the correct propane tip and it's always a couple minute ordeal just to get lit. Anyone else have this problem?

colson04

I did until I learned to barely crack the propane on and ignite it, then really slowly add the oxygen until the flame goes back to the tip of the torch. Then in about 3 stages I increase propane, then oxygen, etc until I get that shrill/shriek sound from the torch.

I did a YouTube search on propane torch cutting and stumbled onto an instructional video that shows that method for getting your torch started. Worked well for me, hope it helps you

petepilot

I have split many beams with a torch ,cut 3 ft leave a tab and then go back and cut it all when it cools. But they still arent true and you need to heat shrink them straight. The one i did with the plasma came out dead on. That being said you cant beat the torch for getting into awkward places and general burning. Like all tools they have thier place.I did these compound mitre cuts in 3/8 and 1/2 in hollow structural with the plasma and it worked pretty well.
some serious iron fab

Tugger2

As much as i enjoy playing with cranes,my fab background always seems have a project waiting.I wish i could say ive had a well rounded career .

jimpad

Used my torch today for the fist time since getting the lighting tip here. Blowing like a mother here and got it lit the first time!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't have been able to get it lit without holding it against the table... GREAT ADVICE!!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My old Airco Cutmaster was a ROYAL PITA to get lit on LP, once lit was a Cutting monster.

mitch504

I have 2 Airco cutmasters, I like them, even though everybody else within 50 miles seems to have Victors.

Old Doug

I have 2 Airco cutmasters, I like them, even though everybody else within 50 miles seems to have Victors.
I have one of those torches its brandnew with a propane style tip but it has lefthand threads on both hoses? I need to dig it out and look at it agin.

Tugger2

I have one of those torches its brandnew with a propane style tip but it has lefthand threads on both hoses? I need to dig it out and look at it agin.
Maybe someone modified it, sweated in a fuel gas fitting . Sometimes you need to repair the threads if the torch gets dropped with no hoses on it.