• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cutting torch acetylene regulator to propane tank question

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Done both and currently have Oxy Acetylene set up. Used Propane on scrapping as could get larger volumes of cheaper gas, not looked back since those days as still gas weld as well as braze and exactly correct No cannot weld with propane, not hot enough with oxidation rate is also too fast.

Tunneldigger

Occupation
Farmer with a job in town
You probably use more oxygen like others say but you kinda learn to start the cut on a thinner edge or away on a thinner part of what you are cutting. Of course that is not always possible. I use a 100 lb bottle it is so cheap to fill which offsets the more oxygen use. They fill my bottle when they fill my big tank.

Tugger2

I use acetylene for all my hand cutting . On my my burning table i run propane for the machine torches ,its especially good on thick plate . For heating a proane oxy. rosebud is the best ,it wont back fire and go out just as you are reaching temperature like an acetylene rosebud does.

pat86

I have a propane torch setup at the house that runs off a 20 pound tank with no problems. Internal threads are on new tanks as well. my oxygen consumption is not crazy by any means. I do like the convenience of propane for after hours use because I always have multiple tanks around. My gas regulator is an old Craftsman that my Dad used and it works with no issue.

Welder Dave

I use acetylene for all my hand cutting . On my my burning table i run propane for the machine torches ,its especially good on thick plate . For heating a proane oxy. rosebud is the best ,it wont back fire and go out just as you are reaching temperature like an acetylene rosebud does.

If your rosebud is clean the 2 most common reasons for backfire are the tip getting too hot from being held to close or the most common reason is not using enough acetylene pressure and to a lesser extent oxygen pressure. A large acetylene rosebud should be run at 14/15 PSI and oxygen at around 30-35 PSI. Also the flame shouldn't be throttled back too much. The higher pressures and higher flow rates help to cool the tip.

colson04

Had a job a little too big for my small 'B' sized portable torch kit. I was going to borrow my Dad's torch set that he hasn't used in 20 years to find that his tanks are empty (and expired) Go to gas supplier, he says oxygen tank is no good (visible pitting on outside of tank). I
ended up buying a tank of oxygen from him and then a propane cutting tip to fit my torch. Came home, assembled everything, and couldn't make it work. Sat down, Googled and YouTube'd some oxy-propane cutting information and 5 minutes later I'm slicing 1" plate like a knife through hot butter. It took me a bit to get the flame right and then figure out the best technique, but overall I'm happy with the setup. I'll probably buy a couple more tips in different sizes to keep in my toolbox for different applications. He sold me a size 3 today for my torch.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Used LP scrapping in KS in 76/77, THOUGHT was cheaper, was in reality not. Use more LP to Acetylene volume, takes a bigger tank to run longer and torch(Airco Cutmaster) had to be modded to cut heavier steel. Long story short we spent near as much on LP as would have on Acetylene. Also cannot weld with LP, does not WILL not reduction flame clean the weld joint, won't therefore stick.

crane operator

Came home, assembled everything, and couldn't make it work. Sat down, Googled and YouTube'd some oxy-propane cutting information and 5 minutes later I'm slicing 1" plate like a knife through hot butter. It took me a bit to get the flame right and then figure out the best technique, but overall I'm happy with the setup. I'll probably buy a couple more tips in different sizes to keep in my toolbox for different applications. He sold me a size 3 today for my torch.

Somebody is getting pipeliner skills.;)

Now all you need is a 200 redface lincoln, a 50lb can of 7018, and a 1 ton dodge with a custom flatbed.

pipeliner meme.jpeg

excavator

Used LP scrapping in KS in 76/77, THOUGHT was cheaper, was in reality not. Use more LP to Acetylene volume, takes a bigger tank to run longer and torch(Airco Cutmaster) had to be modded to cut heavier steel. Long story short we spent near as much on LP as would have on Acetylene. Also cannot weld with LP, does not WILL not reduction flame clean the weld joint, won't therefore stick.
I use a standard Victor Journeyman torch and regulators and standard hose, all I changed was the tip. I've heard that propane needs special hose but have never seen or heard of anyone having a problem with using standard hose. When you go to the welding supply store and check the price on a bottle of acetylene and then see what propane costs you will find that propane is significantly cheaper. The biggest problem with acetylene prices is that it is now considered a hazardous chemical and they are shutting down alot of plants. I live on the west coast and as far as I know there are no longer any plants left on the west coast. Everything in our area comes from Canada. Yes, you can not weld with propane but how often is gas welding really used anymore? I also find that propane makes a lot cleaner cut with less slag and when using a rosebud you don't have the popping back you get with acetylene, burns alot cleaner.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Did like that aspect as to LP, we did buy the correct hose and regulators bak in my past, we used House size bottles sitting on a straight truck(250gal) for scrapper work.

Reactions: DB2

Tugger2

I use propane on my burning table.It works much better on thick plate , somtimes im burning 3 or 4 inch plate. And it works excellent for heating with the propane rosebud ,no backfire just as your getting your pin bore warm enough for the next move. But for hand cutting id stay with acetylene you burn less oxygen and get much better starts when your cutting rusty old stuff,try either gas on on a rusty piece of 2 inch round bar and you will see. All that said i just bought a Hypotherm xp 45 plasma cutter that works slick on up to 1/2" it says thicker but... Im using it more around the shop than the cutting torch.

joe--h

Seems like since Airgas bought both local suppliers prices went up & up & up.

Or is it my imagination?

Joe H

aighead

@crane operator

A bit off topic but are you filling your propane tanks off your large tank yourself? How much trouble is that? I just have a standard 500 gallon home tank but I run a propane heater out in the garage when it's cold. I'd love to take advantage of just filling tanks from the home tank, but upon looking up how that process goes I was a bit intimidated and certainly didn't want to screw anything up...

Delmer

It's common in farming, you'll need the right hose and fittings, and a liquid withdrawal valve. I think it's on most tanks already, could be wrong. Look up filling LP tractors for better info. Or use a 100# tank and tip it upside down. Or hook up a small one direct and hope the vapor condenses over time? I've never tried it, but I bet it would work slowly.

Old Doug

Most tanks dont have a wet leg if they do you can fill a small tank but it will not get as full as if it was pumped in. Most dealers dont like this so you will need to find one that will go along with what you want to do.

Welder Dave

BBQ style tanks don't have a vent to tell when they're full like a vehicle (liquid withdrawal) tank either. You would need a scale to weigh it so you don't fill past 80%.

Old Doug

BBQ style tanks don't have a vent to tell when they're full like a vehicle (liquid withdrawal) tank either. You would need a scale to weigh it so you don't fill past 80%.
They do now at least around here. Its a small strait headed screw on the side of the valve hocked to a small tube that runs down into the tank. From what i have been told by guys that do it you cant get a small tank full doing it this way.

Old Doug

I bought a Cobra torch 3 years ago so far i dont like it but i havent got to mess with it much because of setting it up and taking it off my torch set up so i hunted up one regulater and bought another at a pawn shop. I now have the cobra/Dalton set up on its own bottles acetylene and oxy.

terex herder

If your propane tank has a wet leg (liquid withdraw) valve its easy to fill tanks. Your supplier may be able to install one if it doesn't and the tank is empty. I fill both 100# bottles and forklift tanks from my tank. My supplier is a local coop with older drivers that have been in the business for decades. They supplied me all the parts I needed. I have one hose to fill the 100# bottles, and an adapter to fill the forklift tanks.

Forklift tanks fill fast if they are used until the forklift dies. Topping one off is slow. Filling tanks is all about differential pressure. Warm supply tank and cold portable tank fill easy, other way around and it may not fill at all unless you can bleed off pressure from portable tank.

Acetylene prices are the best argument I know for buying a Hypertherm plasma.